Railroad Forums 

• Arrow III Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1045017  by Tadman

hehe an Arrow III vs. DeLorean ace would be funny. The DeLorean was powered by the crappiest Peugot-Renault-Volvo V6 and was quite pokey, especially with an automatic. You could absolutely hose one off the line with a late-model Chrysler minivan. Given that John DeLorean was the guy who invented the Pontiac GTO, I have no idea why he used that boat anchor engine in his own car.
 #1045095  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:hehe an Arrow III vs. DeLorean ace would be funny. The DeLorean was powered by the crappiest Peugot-Renault-Volvo V6 and was quite pokey, especially with an automatic. You could absolutely hose one off the line with a late-model Chrysler minivan. Given that John DeLorean was the guy who invented the Pontiac GTO, I have no idea why he used that boat anchor engine in his own car.
For comparison, the last model year dodge neon had 2 more horsepower than the DMC-12. Sort of like how a silverliner 2 could outrun an arrow 3. ;)
 #1046313  by Jersey_Mike

hehe an Arrow III vs. DeLorean ace would be funny. The DeLorean was powered by the crappiest Peugot-Renault-Volvo V6 and was quite pokey, especially with an automatic.
That was due to US emissions regulations and early pollution control technologies sapping the power from the engine. Almost all "performance" cars from that era suffered from the same problem. The European spec DeLoreans had much better performance figures. I was actually surprised when a DMC-12 made an appearance on the British show Wheeler Dealers that they didn't even mention ripping out the old emissions control stuff from the car they imported from North America.
 #1072139  by PhilliesPhan2013

Do they go on the NEC, or does the Alp-46 with all the double decker cars travel that route? I wanna know because I wanna drive it one day. I love the Arrows, but I also love the Alp-46 headed train.
 #1072143  by Jtgshu

PhilliesPhan2013 wrote:Do they go on the NEC, or does the Alp-46 with all the double decker cars travel that route? I wanna know because I wanna drive it one day. I love the Arrows, but I also love the Alp-46 headed train.
They both run on that route dozens of times a day. Stay somewhere for 20 minutes and you will probably see both of them in that time period.
 #1072164  by Patrick Boylan

But not necessarily in the right direction. The first time I went railfanning intending to ride multilevels there was one sitting in Trenton, ready to go for me. I got on, they announced that it was a local, I double checked the schedule, saw that the express that would leave after this one would get to New York first, so I got off.
For those of you who say mu's are better suited for locals, and locomotive hauled better for expresses, guess what? The express train that pulled in was ALL mu's.
I got off in Hamilton, intending then to get the following train, hoping it would be multilevels. 2 hours and I think 4 New York bound mu trains later I gave up, and rode the tried and true Jersey Arrows the rest of the way.

Returning in the afternoon, as mentioned in other recent threads I used Penn Station's lower level to get down to the tracks, watched around for multilevel Trenton departures. It was a repeat of Hamilton, I think I was there for 2 hours and saw no multilevel trains before desire for home overcame desire to railfan.
 #1072214  by njtmnrrbuff

Anything can happen on the railroad. Whatever is available is what is often used. I have seen and photographed MUs on the 3900 series trains. I'd rather see those sets use locomotive hauled equipment since they are good for 100 and can do it for long periods of time. To be honest, on the Newark side, the ALP sets work very well since most of the time the stops are pretty spread out. I like it when MUs run on the Trenton locals, especially those that make every single stop on the schedule.
 #1072452  by morris&essex4ever

Patrick Boylan wrote:When all your problems look like the Rebel Alliance the only tool you need is a Death Star.
When all your problems look like TRE-NYP the only tool you need is a Jersey Arrow, or a multi-level.
What about comets and 46's?
 #1166676  by ant6n

OportRailfan wrote:Semi-related, I just found in the NJT PTC report to the FRA:

The following existing active NJ TRANSIT vehicles will not be PTC equipped, but will be retired prior to December 31, 2015:
230 Arrow III electric multiple unit (EMU) cars

Just putting a date on things.
Sorry to put bump an old thread, but I couldn't find any info about the above online. Is it still true that the arrows will all have to by 2015-12-31 because of lack of PTC?