Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1636640  by MACTRAXX

daybeers wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:05 pm Amtrak needs more contingency in place for the Hudson Line/Empire Service. One inch of rain really isn't that much.
DB: This inch of rain really was not the problem - The overnight storm on January 9 dumped about four inches of rain in the Hudson River Valley - and that on snowpack from last weekend's (Jan. 6/7) storm...
Two rainfall notes from Orange County, NY from the January 9 storm -
Cornwall-On-Hudson: 4.17 inches-7 AM
USMA West Point: 4.11 inches-8:55 AM
Keep in mind that this rain fell in about a 10 to 12 hour period...The most recent inch just added extra aggravation to the problem - and being January had this 5 inches of rain been snow the Hudson Valley could have been buried under 40 or more inches of snow from these two storms - on top of snowpack from last week...All that water has to flow someplace noting the Hudson Line trouble spots...

January 9 rain totals: https://abc7ny.com/how-much-rain-flash- ... /14306648/

Taking note to the latest Amtrak cancellations that include no Empire service west of Schenectady, NY:
The Arctic Front cold along with the significant lake effect snows in the Great Lakes snow belts - specifically in this instance the Buffalo area - Amtrak had to take some sort of precaution...I agree with JS's thought about how the railroads were the all-weather way to go - but I also agree with RJ's observations as an Amtrak train crew employee about why these pre-emptive cancellations of train service have become a necessity during time periods of potential major weather-related problems...MACTRAXX
 #1636644  by RandallW

In Friday's RPA Hotline there was commentary on Amtrak's cancelling trains and a note that a group of unions filed a report with the STB about inadequate staffing at freight railroads.
The unions told STB that “there are numerous existing and anticipated locomotive and equipment failures because of the freight railroads’ cost-cutting business model. The freight railroads have demonstrated that they will not end this business model, and that they will continue to disregard their obligations to inspect, maintain, service and repair their owned and leased locomotives and rail cars.”
Let me get this out right away – I absolutely share your frustration. Full stop. I practice what I preach and ride the train as much as I can. The Empire Builder is currently my “home” route and I have been stopped, delayed, canceled so much over the past year or so that I absolutely understand the idea of “Well, I’m never riding Amtrak again” from some newer passengers. In fact, I have had my train canceled on back-to-back weekends just this week due to the weather.

All that said, Amtrak is truly in a “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” situation here.

For example (and I know I joked and used them in the photo caption above), it is minus-29 degrees in Shelby, Mont., as I write this, with a real feel of minus-53 degrees. How could ANYONE ask someone to wait for a train in that weather? And, god forbid, that train gets stuck behind a disabled freight train that broke down due to the same conditions, or any other reason. What is Amtrak supposed to do then? Remote location, roads closed due to snow, and quite literal deadly air temps – then what? We end up in a nightmare scenario that needs to be avoided at all costs. And if they press on and something like that happens, the online brigade lights up Amtrak management for “deciding to leave passengers stranded.”
 #1636677  by Jeff Smith

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/modificati ... te-ne.html

Modifications Due to Blizzard Conditions in Upstate New York
January 14, 2024 11:00 PM

Due to Blizzard Conditions, the following service adjustments have been made for January 14, 2024:

Lake Shore Limited

• Train 49/449 is canceled in its entirety.

Maple Leaf

• Train 64 is canceled between Toronto and Albany
• Train 63 is canceled between Albany and Toronto

Empire Service

• Train 280 is canceled between Niagara Falls and Schenectady
• Train 284 is canceled between Niagara Falls and Schenectady
• Train 281 is canceled between Schenectady and Niagara Falls
• Train 283 is canceled between Schenectady and Niagara Falls

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.

Follow us on Twitter for real-time service information:

@AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services).
@AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.
Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.

This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
 #1636689  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:54 am Mr. Junkie, surely the Central had this same flooding issue back in their day.

Those trackside in the likes of Copake, Millerton, Amenia, Wassaic, Pawling....must have noted "look at all these fancy trains today".

Why can't Amtrak do same with their "Lowly rusty fleet?". Oh whoops, enjoy running atop mud North of Wassaic nowadays???? :-D :-D
Four tracks versus two on a curve a inch or two of water over the rail with a Hudson is going to be treated way different than with a dual mode. Plus it just seems like the amount of water flowing into the river is different these days. Way more development along the river and perhaps not as much care to right of way as when gangs took care of there section of railroad and new it inside and out.
 #1636721  by RandallW

Actually, going through The NY Times archives, there are multiple examples of flooding or snow in the 1950s and '60s causing railroads into Manhattan cancelling trains, using busses, and "unheated or overheated trains with 2-3 hour delays". It wasn't all roses then either, its just that cancellations, delays, and reroutes weren't as widely reported as they are now.
 #1636729  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:11 am Four tracks versus two on a curve a inch or two of water over the rail with a Hudson is going to be treated way different than with a dual mode. Plus it just seems like the amount of water flowing into the river is different these days. Way more development along the river and perhaps not as much care to right of way as when gangs took care of there section of railroad and new it inside and out.
Oh, actually, it took me a while to realize this: It's Metro-North territory. If it's flooding, it's likely touching the third rail. It's not a washout hazard but an electrocution hazard.

Can you say BZZZORRRCCHHHH!!!!? Sure. I knew you could.
 #1636775  by Railjunkie

west point wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:05 pm Since several times this area is flooding any chance that MNRR could raise the tracks to be above flooding??
On the curve between MP 50 and 51 it is the lowest part of the Hudson division but it is also one of the narrowest points on the river, it only floods at high tide if at all. Some of the ships captains call it the speed way because if you are going with the current you can feel it shoving your barge or vessel. Metro North has dumped a ton of stone and rip rap to try and keep mother nature out but she seems to have other plans. Jacking the track with more ballast is a good idea except there is about a 40 ft deck bridge that would have to be jacked up with it. Stone $$$ Bridge replacement $$$$$$ gambling on what you currently have and bustituting around $
 #1636804  by NHV 669

284 hit a car in North Tonawanda this morning with a single fatality, 63 was 40+ minutes late into Rochester, 48 out of CHI canceled today, 449 cancelled tomorrow. Today's 449 having mechanical issues...
 #1636818  by STrRedWolf

NHV 669 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:34 pm 284 hit a car in North Tonawanda this morning with a single fatality, 63 was 40+ minutes late into Rochester, 48 out of CHI canceled today, 449 cancelled tomorrow. Today's 449 having mechanical issues...
Got a few folk in my circles going from CHI to BOS and Schnecity to BOS on 48/448... and they're a bit pissed that the train was canned. Three of 'em are grabbing a rental car to head to BOS for a convention this weekend (I wish I was going...)
 #1636838  by NHV 669

449 had freeze issues, was close to 4 hours late when they passed the Chester cam last night at 21:02.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1636846  by west point

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am
west point wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:05 pm Since several times this area is flooding any chance that MNRR could raise the tracks to be above flooding??
On the curve between MP 50 and 51 it is the lowest part of the Hudson division but it is also one of the narrowest points on the river, it only floods at high tide if at all. Some of the ships captains call it the speed way because if you are going with the current you can feel it shoving your barge or vessel. Metro North has dumped a ton of stone and rip rap to try and keep mother nature out but she seems to have other plans. Jacking the track with more ballast is a good idea except there is about a 40 ft deck bridge that would have to be jacked up with it. Stone $$$ Bridge replacement $$$$$$ gambling on what you currently have and bustituting around $
AH a bridge greatly complicates the matter.
 #1636850  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:06 pm
Railjunkie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:11 am Four tracks versus two on a curve a inch or two of water over the rail with a Hudson is going to be treated way different than with a dual mode. Plus it just seems like the amount of water flowing into the river is different these days. Way more development along the river and perhaps not as much care to right of way as when gangs took care of there section of railroad and new it inside and out.
Oh, actually, it took me a while to realize this: It's Metro-North territory. If it's flooding, it's likely touching the third rail. It's not a washout hazard but an electrocution hazard.

Can you say BZZZORRRCCHHHH!!!!? Sure. I knew you could.
Third rail ends just north of Croton Harmon so at least on the north side your safe. BBBUUUTTTT the electric side has had its share of issues too.