Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1631152  by west point

Amtrak 20 / 11 Oct was doing fine thru Anniston. However it took an 1 - 1/2 hour delay at that infamous CP Howell in Atlanta. BTW it is not NS's fault but CSX blocking the crossing again. Just speculation but probably CSX waiting for a relief crew to continue train on northward. s I understand it NS gets the FTI delay not CSX.
 #1631800  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: (10/21) A mudslide has blocked the Hudson Line between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon...
All NYS Empire Service trains can expect significant delays or cancellations...
MACTRAXX
 #1631807  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:21 pm Everyone: (10/21) A mudslide has blocked the Hudson Line between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon...
All NYS Empire Service trains can expect significant delays or cancellations...
MACTRAXX
Metro-North is part suspended:
Hudson Line service is suspended between Croton-Harmon and Tarrytown because of a significant mudslide onto our tracks due to today’s weather.

We strongly recommend customers take the Harlem Line which is running a full schedule.

There is no service at Philipse Manor, Scarborough, and Ossining. Please travel to alternate stations for service.

Hudson Line service is reduced to hourly in both directions between Grand Central and Tarrytown, and between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie.

Very limited bus service is being provided between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon. Please listen for announcements.
Amtrak post:
All Empire Service trains: 260, 233, 238, 253, 244, 241, 259, 281, 283, 280, 284
Adirondack service: 68
Maple Leaf service: 64
Ethan Allen Express service: 290, 291
Lake Shore Limited service: 48, 49
 #1631809  by STrRedWolf

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/m ... y/4789461/

Lots of photos on the scene show a good chunk of hillside collapsed onto the tracks. There's maybe one track that's usable for diesel service. They're trying to get some tracks dug out, maybe have two-track service by sometime tomorrow (my guess).
 #1631832  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Location of Hudson Line hill slide: 28 Country Club Ln S; Scarborough, NY 10510 (Google Maps)
This is south of Scarborough Station...

From a close-up view a retaining wall looks to have failed with a portion of the backyard gone and the rest
of the property potentially threatened including an in-ground pool...

The clean-up and track restoration necessary is probably looking towards Monday October 23 - AM Peak
to allow service to resume on the compromised tracks - a dry week weatherwise will help matters...

MACTRAXX
 #1631857  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:36 am Everyone - Location of Hudson Line hill slide: 28 Country Club Ln S; Scarborough, NY 10510 (Google Maps)
This is south of Scarborough Station...

From a close-up view a retaining wall looks to have failed with a portion of the backyard gone and the rest
of the property potentially threatened including an in-ground pool...

The clean-up and track restoration necessary is probably looking towards Monday October 23 - AM Peak
to allow service to resume on the compromised tracks - a dry week weatherwise will help matters...
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/me ... er-county/
BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y. -- Metro-North Railroad service is nearly back to normal on the Hudson Line for the morning commute, following a mudslide that halted trains over the weekend.

Service resumed at 5 a.m. Monday, using two of the four tracks between Croton-Harmon and Tarrytown in Westchester County.
So they got two of the four tracks open and third rail repaired (140 feet of third rail per the video report). Some trains canceled among Amtrak Empire Services and Metro-North.
 #1632300  by John_Perkowski

Looks like it’s time for BNSF to break out the rotaries and wedges.

Read it here: ‘Empire Builder’ disruptions triggered by snow, mechanical issues
 #1633702  by STrRedWolf

Tangentally related, but Maple Leaf 63(22) was terminated at Niagara Falls (NFL) due to a crash-and-explosion at a nearby US-Canada border point at the Rainbow International Bridge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ra ... rcna126397
Two people were killed in an explosion at the Canadian border where an "airborne" car crashed into a checkpoint at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls on Wednesday, officials said.

So far, there are no immediate signs of terrorism, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul told reporters.

Amtrak said Wednesday that its Maple Leaf Train from New York City to Toronto would terminate at Niagara Falls because of the incident on the bridge.
 #1634800  by ryanwc

I didn't realize till today that juckins.net, a site apparently maintained as a hobby page by a guy interested in Amtrak and also meteorology, with an IT background, has an incredibly broad, deep set of statistics for on time performance, not just at end-point, but by station. I didn't look into how far back it goes. For recent months, I believe the statistical set may be "complete" covering all stations and Amtrak trains. Presumably he has some sort of crawler set to dig into the Amtrak site on a daily basis and test each run.
 #1634821  by STrRedWolf

ryanwc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:23 am I didn't realize till today that juckins.net, a site apparently maintained as a hobby page by a guy interested in Amtrak and also meteorology, with an IT background, has an incredibly broad, deep set of statistics for on time performance, not just at end-point, but by station. I didn't look into how far back it goes. For recent months, I believe the statistical set may be "complete" covering all stations and Amtrak trains. Presumably he has some sort of crawler set to dig into the Amtrak site on a daily basis and test each run.
He may just be probing the same "API Endpoint" (read, some part of Amtrak's website) to pull the tracking data and archive it. A third party tracking site does the same.
 #1635281  by twropr

On the 18th, the Shore Line was closed to Amtrak trains for about 6 1/4 hrs due to fallen branches/overhead
wires near Canton Jct. What I don't know is why the last Amtrak west of Boston before the shutdown, 171,
lost 5 hrs BOS-Providence. Did they hit a tree or pull down the wires?
Thanks
Andy
 #1635593  by STrRedWolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQvUrE516I

Mt. Shasta police were called to help eject a passenger off the Cost Starlight, and it ended in a deadly shootout involving police. Passenger dead, a conductor injured, no more details since the 26th.