Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1636411  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:35 am
Railjunkie wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:05 am .....management does not want a train[s] getting stuck somewhere with 300 cellphones taking pictures and sending texts about how the crew this and being held captive that.
It appears enough passengers on AS 1282 had cellphones and any provisions regarding use in flight be damned.

People seemed inclined to use them nowadays virtually whenever they.please.

GBN (who will be flying on a MAX in about two weeks)
Mr. Norman I think your equipment will be changed Boeing seems to have trouble with that platform. Nice aircraft have flown on a few myself, before and after the first issue. Time to scrap the platform.
Author hold shares in Boeing
 #1636413  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 pm Folks, you're equating the two storms when you can't. The one that hit the east coast Saturday into Sunday (6th to 7th) was your run-of-the-mill steady average rain/snow storm that didn't have all that much wind pushing through it.

The one that hit yesterday to today (the 9th-10th) had nearly 50 MPH winds that brought down power lines. Amtrak rightfully started canceling services and slowing trains when things got hairy on the NEC. I would not be surprised if SEPTA and MARC canceled trains and had speed limits. I include the next day because equipment would be out of position and there'll be a ton of dead-head moves.

Did Amtrak cancel trains when a derecho hit the Philly area in 2019 and knocked down ALL the caternary along a section the Keystone line? OH HELL THEY DID! That was 80 MPH winds and tornado warnings in that area. The only train they got running was the Pennsylvanian the next day, and I was on that train!

Did the airlines delay or cancel trips? I wouldn't be surprised. Per this SkyScanner article:
In fact, take-off and landing are the only times during a flight when high winds can result in flight delays—almost every flight deals with high winds at some point during its climb or descent. With this in mind, horizontal winds (also known as “crosswinds”) in excess of 30-35 kts (about 34-40 mph) are generally prohibitive of take-off and landing.
So no, your argument about all weather running is invalid. There are specific conditions that you don't want to be caught out in with certain equipment and guess what, we hit them. To argue otherwise is to say "why yes I want to be electrocuted as I panic and exit a train with several kilovolts of power running through the otherwise grounded shell of the car."
First and foremost Mr. Wolf you would never be allowed out of a coach with downed catenary unless de-energized and tested as such. As for running trains in high winds there are others on this board who can answer specifics but I can assure you there are rules in place to modify speeds accordingly under the wire. As I posted above to many cell phones, to many entitled (pick your favorite term), and Amtrak just doesn't want the headache.
 #1636418  by Red Wing

And for those complaining that MOW should have the rails open are the same people who keep sharing they have stock in various Class I's and complain that with all the overhead kept on the books for occasional storms their stock prices go down. I'm also sure the same complaints about Amtrak having too many heads on the payroll. Can't have it both way folks.
 #1636568  by Jeff Smith

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/amtrak-nyc- ... ding-storm
Amtrak service from NYC to Albany stopped due to flooding

NEW YORK - All Amtrak service between New York City and Albany stopped Saturday afternoon due to flooding from Friday night's storm.

The transit system reported high waters in Poughkeepsie and Croton-on-Hudson.
 #1636573  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:09 pm https://www.fox5ny.com/news/amtrak-nyc- ... ding-storm
Operational quote here:
The New York City area saw over one inch of rain in most regions after a storm soaked the area Friday night into Saturday. Grounds were already saturated from storms earlier in the week.
In other words: Amtrak saw a high risk of mudslides and track washouts, so decided not running was better off.
 #1636590  by twropr

Metro-North's Hudson Line was shut down both the morning of the 10th and today
the 13th for several hrs. Trains were turning at Beacon and Cortlandt. When I lived
in Albany 1976-2001 I don't ever remember the Hudson Line being shut down for
high water.
Andy
 #1636608  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:18 pm
Jeff Smith wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:09 pm https://www.fox5ny.com/news/amtrak-nyc- ... ding-storm
Operational quote here:
The New York City area saw over one inch of rain in most regions after a storm soaked the area Friday night into Saturday. Grounds were already saturated from storms earlier in the week.
In other words: Amtrak saw a high risk of mudslides and track washouts, so decided not running was better off.
No actually it was Metro North who chose to shut the railroad down. There is a spot between MP 50 and MP 51 directly across from West Point it is the lowest point on the railroad. I have had ducks swimming in front of me in that area. Metro North opened back up around 3:15 pm with single track MP 48 to MP53.
 #1636609  by Railjunkie

On to this morning all trains west of Albany traveling to Toronto Niagara Falls and Chicago are Canceled. Buffalo is expecting about 2ft of lake effect snow. As far as I know no alternative transportation will be provided.
 #1636617  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Junkie, surely the Central had this same flooding issue back in their day.

Those trackside in the likes of Copake, Millerton, Amenia, Wassaic, Pawling....must have noted "look at all these fancy trains today".

Why can't Amtrak do same with their "Lowly rusty fleet?". Oh whoops, enjoy running atop mud North of Wassaic nowadays???? :-D :-D
 #1636636  by Jeff Smith

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/modfied-sc ... gerri.html
Operating on a Modified Schedule Due to Winter Storm Gerri Impacting Northwest, and Central Regions and Northeast
January 14, 2024 01:40 AM

Long Distance Service

Empire Builder:

Trains 7/27 January 13, is canceled in its entirety.
Trains 8/28 January 13, is canceled in its entirety.
Zephyr 5 / 6:

Train 5 Friday, January 13 &14, is canceled between Chicago and Denver.
Train 6 Thursday, January 13, canceled Denver to Chicago.
Coast Starlight:

Train 11 January 13 is canceled in its entirety.
City of New Orleans:

Train 58 Sunday, January 14, is canceled between New Orleans and Carbondale.
Train 59 Sunday, January 14, is canceled between Carbondale and New Orleans.
Lake Shore Limited:

Train 49/449 Saturday, January 14, is canceled in its entirety.

Northeast Corridor:

Maple Leaf

Train 64 Sunday, January 14, is canceled between Toronto and Albany.
Train 63 Sunday, January 14, is canceled in its entirety.
Empire Service

Train 280 Sunday, January 14, is canceled between Niagara Falls and Schenectady.
Train 284 Sunday, January 14, is canceled between Niagara Falls and Schenectady.
Train 281Sunday, January 14, is canceled between Schenectady and Niagara Falls.
Train 283 Sunday, January 14, is canceled between Niagara Falls and Niagara Falls.

State Supported Service

Michigan Service:

Saturday, January 13, Train 365 is canceled in its entirety.
Saturday, January 13, Train 371 is canceled in its entirety.
Hiawatha Service:

Saturday, January 13, Train 330 is canceled in its entirety.
River Runner Service:

Saturday, January 13, 311 is canceled in its entirety.
Saturday, January 13, 318 STL is canceled between St. Louis and Kansas City.
Lincoln Service:

Saturday, January 13, 300 is canceled in its entirety.
Quincy Service:

Sunday, January 14, 380 & 381 are canceled in their entirety .
Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.

Follow us on Twitter for real-time service information:

@AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services).
@AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.
Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.

This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.