• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JimBoylan

Amtrak did have partially self service Buffet Cars in the past on non-Auto Train Florida services.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Actually Mr.Boylan, the cafeteria cars on the Florida trains, including Auto-Train, during the 80's, were not self service. A passenger (first hand observations) would walk the line telling servers what they wanted, paying up to a cashier, then another employee would handle the passenger's tray to an open table.

I had to wonder just how much labor was saved, but I guess some.
  by Gilbert B Norman

First impressions, very light load one Dinner seating 6P.

Line 5240 Bedroom C (32504 Asa Phillip Randolph) think will be forward riding.

So far indifferent service. The Chef said "If you didn't like the Short Ribs lAuosast year they won't be any better this year". They have a Lamb Shank so maybe better.

Attendant DaShira, maybe age 25, has one Month of Seniority, She caught this off the Extra Board.

No Wi-Fi.

186 PAX 90 Auto 18 cars 33 carriers Max capacity 650 PAX 330 Autos

The Lamb Shank was darned good; very tender and flavorful.

Now 8P and a bit North of Jessup.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From.Holiday Inn Akron OH--

Shower? still "batting a thousand"

Arrived LOR 741A or 68ME. Chessie found a slot and it was "keep 'er movin". They even let 86 (7) pass us South of Lorton.

One of the most special friends I have in this life "played hookey" from work at Quantico to come up and share her time with me while waiting for Red Lex to be offloaded.

I was outta there and on the 95 by 910A.
  by Rockingham Racer

Good run, then, to Akron!
  by chuchubob

Wife and I are booked on train 53-27. 52-26 arrived Lorton around 4:40. Estimated 53 departure 9 PM. Dinner will be Subway sandwiches served in Lorton terminal. Lunch will be served on the train on Tuesday.
Station wi-fi ranges from very slow to infinitely slow. Fortunately, it's very slow now.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Any ideas, Mr. Vogel, what happened?

So far as the WiFi, I didn't miss it, even though I did join the 21th Century about three years ago. However, with the 2 gigs I had to purchase, I don't even come close to using it (maybe 250 megs).
  by chuchubob

Mr Norman, several stories were bandied about. I don't know whether any of them were accurate. CSX signal issues and Amtrak engine malfunction were two of the stories.

Train 52 arrived Lorton around 4:45 PM. After all passengers had departed, train 53 passengers were served one of three six inch Subway sandwiches (I got an Italian BMT), a bag of chips, and a small bottle of water. Train 53 departed Lorton around 9 PM. Lunch on Tuesday was the menu that would have been served for Monday dinner had the train been on time. Arrival at Sanford was around 1 PM.
While we were in line for the food, the people behind me discussed "Italian BMT", wondering what BMT stood for. I turned around and said "Brooklyn Manhattan Transit". The response was "There's a comedian in every crowd".
  by chuchubob

Sanford terminal Friday.
AMTK 74 was present. AMTK 511 was the yard goat.
Four motorcycles were among the 208 vehicles on 23 car carriers. 418 passengers were on 17 passenger cars.
Power was 835 and 17. The lower level door on the transition dorm was blocked off.
Departure was at 3:46. It was a fast trip, with arrival at Lorton at 7:15. Passengers were allowed to detrain at 8:15.
Yard goat and the second cut of car carriers were photographed while we waited to detrain.
205 vehicles came off before our car.
  by bostontrainguy

Moving to Florida and think we will be using the Autotrain quite a bit in the future. I have no problem with the Florida end, but the drive from Boston to Lorton is an
ordeal.

I have read that Hunter's new CSX is running so well that the Autotrain is arriving early most days now.

Although I would love to see it extended further north (discussed earlier here), at the least it would be great if they moved the boarding times back a lot. Someone said they originally had a 4 PM cut off. That would be great.
  by ThirdRail7

bostontrainguy wrote:
I have read that Hunter's new CSX is running so well that the Autotrain is arriving early most days now.

I don't think he had much to do with it. The Auto Train runs well as long as it appears on time and there isn't a major issue somewhere along the line. That is due to an agreement reached some time ago that stated if an hour was added to the schedule, CSX would be able to guarantee an 80% OTP metric.
bostontrainguy wrote: Although I would love to see it extended further north (discussed earlier here), at the least it would be great if they moved the boarding times back a lot. Someone said they originally had a 4 PM cut off. That would be great.
I remember a 3:30 cut off for a 4:30 departure. Today, there is a 2:30 cut off for a 4:00 departure. A 4pm cut off would lead to a 5pm departure which may put it behind additional VRE traffic.
  by Gilbert B Norman

The private Auto Train was "4 for 5". I those times were in place for the 1983 rebirth.

But this "230 for 4" simply makes the product less attractive. I would want to be leaving Greenwich, where my Sister lived as did I once upon a time, no later than 730A - "there's always something" on that drive.

For those starting from Boston, you simply must break the trip. Based on traffic during 1972 and the later closing hour, EKG had Boston in mind for a same day drive to Lorton.
  by BandA

I read that the Auto Train breaks even or better. Is there enough business to support an additional, smaller Auto Train from further north? This would be highly parasitic to the existing service. Do any auto transporters "transload" onto the Auto Train?
  by gokeefe

There have been faint indications from reliable sources of a possible second daily trip. Not clear if it was to be year round or not.