• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by aem7ac921

My friend showed me a video of Amtrak's dead line in Bear, Delaware. In the video were a few F40s, all the HHP-8s, and only 2 AEM-7s, those being 934 and 940. I didn't see any others in the video. Does this mean that they've all been scrapped?
  by aem7ac921

Also, does anyone know where I can find pictures of the units on the dead line other than Facebook? I don't have one so it makes it somewhat difficult. Thanks!
  by 8th Notch

I don't keep track but they do keep stored units in Wilmington DE. I wouldn't count on finding many pictures of Bear unless they are from an employee since it's surrounded by a fence with a security guard.
Last edited by 8th Notch on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by ApproachMedium

The wilmington shops has at least 10 units abouts outside. 934 and 940 are AC remans. There are a few units stored in Ivy city as well. I would say that most of the DC units must be scrapped then.
  by Backshophoss

There's a pic,location unknown,of 910,950,and 953 already cut up, a sad sight to see. :( :( :(
  by aem7ac921

I just heard that Amtrak plans to remove the 5 remaining engines from service on either Feb. 17th or 18th. Can anyone confirm?
  by ThirdRail7

aem7ac921 wrote:I just heard that Amtrak plans to remove the 5 remaining engines from service on either Feb. 17th or 18th. Can anyone confirm?
I doubt this true since some of them have been leased and one reached its date and they proceeded with the work to return it to service. BTW, if you've "heard" that this was the case, why are you here asking for confirmation? Why not ask the people you heard it from?
  by 8th Notch

What was wrong with using the other AEM7 thread? Only 5 units active and the other thread has already established quite a bit of useful info.
  by ThirdRail7

You do realize the status and disposition are synonymous, right? Wait I get it. You wanted to start a thread to ask the same question that no one answered in the status thread, hoping for better results.

Smoooth.

But to enlighten you, just because a unit is not being used does not mean it is stored dead. Additionally, as indicated before, more than the units you listed above have been scrapped.
  by aem7ac921

I was told that the other thread was for active AEM-7s and not for ones that have been decommissioned. The old AEM-7 / HHP-8 disposition thread has been locked for months, so the only way for me to aquire the info I needed was to start a new thread. If you happen to know the numbers of the other scrapped units, that would be very much appreciated, since I'm trying to get more units preserved! Since I'm not an Amtrak employee, I don't have all of the "inside" information and have to rely on railfan sites. I don't want to try to preserve a unit like 947 and find out that it's already been scrapped and all of my efforts have been wasted. Awhile ago, Wikipedia (not a source I trust at all) stated that 937, 947, 949, and 952 were also scrapped. I then cross referenced it to a more reliable source and found different info. I then asked a friend to delete that information, especially since it wasn't sited.
  by 8th Notch

The other thread reads "AEM7 status" so whoever told you that the thread is for active units only gave you some bad info. If you are really serious about trying to get a unit you should really be contacting Amtrak directly for info, they may not even be up to shelling another unit out when they can get scrap value.
  by ApproachMedium

These things will be around a lot longer than some people may think. ;)
  by aem7ac921

8th Notch wrote:The other thread reads "AEM7 status" so whoever told you that the thread is for active units only gave you some bad info. If you are really serious about trying to get a unit you should really be contacting Amtrak directly for info, they may not even be up to shelling another unit out when they can get scrap value.
Thanks! Nothing is a done deal yet. I'm still working on improving the plan and getting the funds. There is a chance that this will work. The DC units I'm looking at (if they aren't already scrapped) are any one of the following: 906, 907, 909, 926, 931, 932, 945, 947, and 949. Any word as to which units survive?
  by ThirdRail7

aem7ac921 wrote:Any word as to which units survive?
All of them...for now. Can a mod merge this thread?
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:These things will be around a lot longer than some people may think. ;)
You said it!