• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 8th Notch

I'm currently seeing 6 active 908, 917,923, 927, 942, 946. The 919 seems to have just went down within the last week. Can't say I'll miss em in there current state either.
  by Train2009

AEM-7 #917 will be leading Cardinal train #51 this morning when it leaves New York - Penn Station. I saw it sitting at Sunnyside yard yesterday afternoon 1/30.
  by ThirdRail7

8th Notch wrote:I'm currently seeing 6 active 908, 917,923, 927, 942, 946. The 919 seems to have just went down within the last week. Can't say I'll miss em in there current state either.

Let's see. I think I may be spot on for my prediction about the 917 being the last reman!

Re: AEM7 Disposition (and other motors - HHP8)

Postby ThirdRail7 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:22 pm

ThirdRail7 wrote:
The 661 and 660 are being stored. The 654 still has an issue. We'll see if they fix it or....

So it looks like the tally is 12 HHP-8s, 2 DCs and 1 Reman. That being said, the 925 and 908 aren't back on the beam yet. Will they make it?

Meanwhile, the 910 continues to soldier on.

I'm throwing my hat behind 655 for last HHP-8, 909 (with 912 as back up) for last non push pull DC, 947 for last push-pull DC and 944 for last reman.

Not that any of it matters now that 952 is finished. That was the last of my trio of stars!

Well, let's see how I'm doing. I was spot on for the push pull DC, one off from the last HHP-8 and 3 off from the last DC since 909 was just technically decommissioned.

I'm on the fence with the 944 as the last reman. I'm thinking it may go to 917.

That being said, does anyone have a dollar? That was the opening bid for one of ApproachMedium's favorite engine's number plate on Ebay.

The current bid is up to $73.00 with six days to go, so I guess a dollar won't do much good.

BTW, there is a substantial reward for the 952's number plates. I keep making phone calls, but you know how bureaucracy is! :wink:

This of course assume the 923 isn't refreshed since it reached its date. Only the 908 has a later date than the 917 but it is currently o/o/s.
  by Acela Express

The 908 may be history. Just the other night it crapped out on train 187. Reports of smoke and fluid on the floor in the engine room. Wouldn't make since to make repairs if there is damage to the tractor motors, but who knows.
  by 8th Notch

The 927 may be on its last leg as well, according to mechanical it has a serious oil leak. Thirdrail, I'm willing to bet your prediction on the ACS locomotives withstanding time will be accurate as well, I herd some horror stories already while yard testing one today for problems...
  by ApproachMedium

921 recently had new wheels installed, odd that they would take that out of service only a week later. It also had the PTC upgrade mods. That and the 917 have both shown backshopped since 1/27. 927 is shopped because of a failed air compressor in boston.
  by 8th Notch

ApproachMedium wrote:921 recently had new wheels installed, odd that they would take that out of service only a week later. It also had the PTC upgrade mods. That and the 917 have both shown backshopped since 1/27. 927 is shopped because of a failed air compressor in boston.
The air compressor must have been repaired on the 927, I was told yesterday that it has an oil leak and speed sensor issues. It was being tested in the yard yesterday evening.
  by aem7ac921

My last post had a technical difficulty so sorry about that. I predicted that 942 and 917 would be the last 2 units (similar to you ThirdRail7). As the number of AEM-7s gets smaller and smaller, any other predictions on which two units will be the last?
  by aem7ac921

Train 93 had 917 and 927. 927 had its pans down.
  by Fan Railer

908 bit the dust. Just 5 left.
  by Jeff Smith

Did it snap, crackle, and pop?
  by ApproachMedium

927 appears to be back in business.
  by Olton Hall

I guess I got lucky and caught one of the last AEM-7s a few weeks ago. It's leading the first train in this video.

https://youtu.be/MzhgrYz6E2U
  by ApproachMedium

946 is still pulling around ran double header the other day then towed the 604 to DC because the 604 was shopped, ironically.
  by amtrakhogger

946 in service today 2/5/16.