• Abandoning the former BR&P through Orchard Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dragonflys

I'm driving a wooden stake into this topic.
: /
Last edited by dragonflys on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by mallard

While working at walmart today in springville ...a guy in his 80s who owns land behind his home which goes up to the BR&P line said over the years ...he seen the rail road bring old freight cars of differnt type loaded with dirt and simply dump the hole car including dirt right over the side and dump more dirt on top of them to build the bad sections of the line back up ..............This old guy name oscar said he tried to contact the rail road to possibly buy the land behind his home to prevent a rail to trails ...But what confused him he was told they wanted to lease the land only to him and his folks around him and keep the property rights ......to the BR&P ......HAs anyone ever herd of this before
  by mallard

Today went thru springville town and saw a white truck with a large like claw on the back siting across the street from the springville train station on part of the line heading towards west valley .....
  by SST

I just took a ride down 240 near Kissing Bridge. The ballast and ties are still in place for the most part. The rails, plates and spikes are piled neatly along the row. As I drove down 240, I noticed a couple of small street crossings and the rails are still in the ground. I expect they will probably stay there.

A mud slide is in the making along 240 near KB. Another good rain fall and that should do it. Looks like the same place as posted on a different thread.
  by lakeshoredave

i cannot really believe they ripped up these tracks. in a few years, buffalo is going to be the csx chicago line, a few ns, cp, cn, and amtraks.
  by MarkT

SST wrote:I just took a ride down 240 near Kissing Bridge. The ballast and ties are still in place for the most part. The rails, plates and spikes are piled neatly along the row. As I drove down 240, I noticed a couple of small street crossings and the rails are still in the ground. I expect they will probably stay there.

A mud slide is in the making along 240 near KB. Another good rain fall and that should do it. Looks like the same place as posted on a different thread.
Sunday the 20th, heading north up 240, everything was ripped up to the crossing in the village of Colden. Ties were no longer in place either. Very scenic area, would make a heck of a bike trail.

Speaking of mud-slides, 240 itself had a couple just north of Machias Junction.
  by dragonflys

I was down at Ashford Junction (Rt 240 & 242) on Saturday, and there is a siding full of hopper cars. The scrappers have left piles of plates and spikes to be loaded there as they work their way South of Cattaraugus creek. Will the cut rails will go on gondolas or be trucked out?
  by JT76

i saw the same spikes... The tracks to the west valley plant are being left in place. As far as i know, its physically impossible to access the springville -> OP line from the west valley area due to the landslides and washouts north of the WVDP. I would have to imagine these are from something else?
  by dragonflys

Yes, the spur from West Valley Nuclear Services is to remain in-place for the immediate future.

The other week I came down Mill Street (CR 12) to Swartz Rd. and noted that the scrappers had removed trackage South of the high level viaduct over Cattaraugus Creek that Milwaukee Road 261 passed over several years ago.
  by JT76

took a ride to my cabin this weekend... they are just past the west falls station now :(
  by dragonflys

Are the Orchard Park RR Depot folks and Historians getting the jitters yet? Springville's turn-of-the century Depot looks like a wasteland with the trackage removed. ROW is ROW from what I have heard....
:(
  by nessman

According to a post on [email protected], a work train will head to Orchard Park tomorrow (Monday 5/3), crew called at 0600, to begin salvaging the line. They'll head as far south as possible and begin working there. Another poster commented the train may already be there.