• Abandoning the former BR&P through Orchard Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Farmer Joe

Here is a link to a great video of the B&P on the trackage that's being torn up. This was posted somewhere on a forum. That's how I got the link. Its great stuff, I wish there was more of it. Goes to show you that you can never take anything for granted. Its there one day and then its gone. Enjoy the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSY0Nu9ez7U

Joe
  by dt63944

Get real, rails-to-trails projects don't always go end-to-end. The Chautauqua Rails-to-Trails trail often has to drop off the old PRR Chautauqua Branch due to permission problems, ROW's and so forth.
dragonflys wrote:Get real, it is geologically unstable.
http://www4.bfn.org/nuclear/WVslump-fr.htm
:(
  by mallard

Thanks for sharing ...and can i ask someone if the last train went thru around 1997 then when did these wash outs take place ..and surprised this did not happen often over the life of this line
  by dt63944

mallard wrote:Thanks for sharing ...and can i ask someone if the last train went thru around 1997 then when did these wash outs take place ..and surprised this did not happen often over the life of this line
1997 is about right, I talked with a GWI signal maintainer a few months ago and he was familiar with the constant loads of ballast that had to be poured into the old line to keep it functional. Perhaps someone knows the link to exact date that BP was given trackage rights on the NS Buffalo Line from Machias Junction north. As others have mentioned, the instability of the land south of Orchard Park made this line unsustainable - I'm no geologist, but perhaps someone has some background into how long or what instigated the instability of this soil, or perhaps it has "always" been that way.
  by Flat-Wheeler

Weird... IDK ! I always thought the sinking soil was in Amherst, where residential homes have been sinking into the ground. Mother nature sure has some strange ways .

Maybe the radioactivity of the nearby West Valley Nuke Processing Plant is causing the soil to change properties. lol J/K
  by AbandonedRailroader

Was picking up trash on Rt 240 in Colden/Glenwood yestaerday and the flooding from two weeks ago thunderstorms have done another number on the line. Noticed a few of the bridges have lost soil behind the abuntments. Personally from what i see every week only bits and pieces may be used for a trail. On another note, the crossings over 240 still have signals but rails pulled to side. Most homeowners that have tracks through thier driveway have paved or stoned over them. Gennesse Road is being repaved and the rails and signals are now piled to the side. And the Cattaraugus Bridge is fenced off from what I seen at Edies road. I'll get more pics next time im out that way
  by mallard

That would be nice lots of folks would enjoy since some are home bound or can,t get around and probley rember that great line when it was in its peak...Thank you
  by nessman

mallard wrote:Needed to ask mr nessman a question ..today while talking to the guy removing the tracks in springville ....he said once they finish this job they have enough other tracks to remove all over the state to keep them going for years ...hope this is just wishfully thinking ....This guy said to rember are elected official and thank them for are factories going over to china and the reason the tracks are being taken out next election day
No idea... as far as I know there are no other abandonments in NY.
  by mallard

Today while heading to work at walmart in springville there was a truck white one way down the line with a big claw like arm working the line said something like ars or sra railroad on the door of the truck ..sun was glaring off the truck door so kinda hard to make out ...when leaving work heading home the truck was long gone
  by thebigham

^Where is Springville was this? The Main Street crossing? Is rail gone in front of the depot?
Last edited by thebigham on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by mallard

Have not passed tracks in front of the depot...but a street away they are all gone as far as one can see all the way down the line heading to west valley ...there was a truck with a big claw working the line way down just a day ago
  by dragonflys

thebigham wrote:^Where is Springville was this? The Main Street crossing? Is rail gone in front of the depot?
Rails, siding and rolling stock are still there @ the SVL depot. I may be wrong, but they may not be able to touch it as it is on the Historical Register... Main Rt 39) to Waverly and Waverly South is torn up but I don't know how far they have progressed. BTW, it was nice to see Milwaukee Road steam though the village years ago.
  by mallard

came home tonight differant route from work at walmart ...passed the station ..tracks next to old train station still in place ..but across the street heading towards west valley all rip up and gone ......Does any one know if they started to rip up the section from orchard park out thru colden to sprigville area .....becuse from passing the station tonight tracks look still in place ....weeds still looked high
  by mallard

Major update passed the springville station tonight on way home from work at walmart the tracks ,,yes are all rip up by side of station only long dirt trail leading looks like towards colden area ..a few cars on side track by station but main line now all history only thing still in place is road sighns and signals ...Everything thing else now gone