• Abandoning the former BR&P through Orchard Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by stanggang1892

Any updates on the line south out of Orchard Park? havent seen anything happen in years, also the line from west valley south was all restored and then looks like never used, anyone have any info?

by Railroaded

B&P Main from Buffalo Creek Yard to Orchard Park is still in use as a runner to get lumber cars to the 84 Lumber store on 20A. The line South from there is pretty much abandonded. It is under a state of heavy disrepair with washouts, old, brittle rail from the 1920's, rotted out ties, sub standard roadbed, weak bridges, and overgrowth all the way to West Valley. Some sections have even been paved over by local property owners. The Section from there to Ashford Junction is supposedly in use for transfering disposal cars out of the Nuke plant there.

B&P runs their traffic to & from Buffalo via the N/S Buffalo Line at Machias Junction.

-B in B

by Otto Vondrak

My friend's family has the other customer on that line- Electro-Abrasives. They get hoppers of garnets in, but they ship empties out. BP grudgingly services them and 84 Lumber. If it was up to B&P, they would love it if everyone went to trucks, they hate switching this line. Erie County has some pipe dream about running trains to Rich Stadium for Buffalo Bills games, so I think they have some involvement with keeping the line intact.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

-otto-

by Railroaded

Hmmm, interesting. I *thought* they pulled that siding out a few years ago. Maybe you can ask your friend when they get -or- ship out loads. I'd love to get pics of a train on the line. When my wife was still my girlfriend, her parents lived on a street less than a 1/4 mile from the tracks. Every time I went over there I always had my camera and in the 5 years she lived there (in the mid 90's when they still ran main line freights) all I got was a blurry photo on a dark, rainy day.
So far I've had people tell me that they seem to run one or two car loads of lumber out to Orchard park, usually on a Tuesday, towards the end of the month, and typicly around 2PM in the afternoon or so. Other than that, it's been impossible to get pics of trains on there, and to this day it remains a source of bitter dissapointment and frustration for me. I have shots of just about anything else I could have shot in the last 15 years except for trains on the B&P main.

-B in B

by stanggang1892

i live right in the village of OP, i have quite a few pics of trains on that line, including a video from when i was like 8 years old around like 1993 when i got to take a cab ride from OP to Salamanca, i need to go find that, its away with all my kid stuff

by Railroaded

I'd be interested in buying print photos off you if you have any.

-B in B

by stanggang1892

i will have to look, my mom has them stored someplace. I remember whenevr my gramps would take me fishing when i was little i would always bring a camera. We always used to fish along rte 240 so i have pics of trains all along that route. I have a few of trains crossing the cascade bridge i know. I also have some pics of the big wreck that occoured near kissing bridge right before the line closed.

by Otto Vondrak

Electro gets cars on a regular basis... usually about one carload at a time.

-otto-

by SST

My friend and I flew down to Great Valley [Ellicotville] for an expensive meal. We picked up the BR&P at Springville. I was a mile east of where I usually fly so I didn't get to see the trestle. But I saw everything after that. The line from West Valley looks to be in good shape. No visible traffic. Aren't shipments suspended?

As I turned base to final at Great Valley along 219 there were rail cars parked at the quary. It was rather bumpy out so I didn't get a good look to see if a locomotive was parked there. Had to pay attention to the plane.

We departed on a northbound heading and as I started my slow climb [it was hot and we were heavy] I noticed that there are piles of ties spread out from Great Valley all the way to Ashford JCT. I flew over the JCT and noticed several track repair MOW vehicles along side the Ashord tower.

There wasn't much rail activity yesterday but I did give chase to a single NS unit pulling about 25 cars eastbound at Alden. I got lucky. Nothing on the CSX main in either direction.

by railwatcher

I drove down thru Ashford Jct. recently and noticed that the crossing warnings had been removed from the highway for the line heading towards West Valley, although the ROW looked to be in good condition there. I didnt get the opportunity to see if the B&P had removed the switch and just left the tracks in place. Sad to see this line being let go. Seems that the local government would do like they did with the former Erie line that the WNYP operates and take it over. That would eliminate the B&Ps burdened taxes on this line and maybe help get it reopened after an extensive repair to the numerous grade problems.

Greg

by Railroaded

From what I understand the line was built through some pretty rough spots, there's lots of grades, there's no CTC, and it needs heavy repair, it's too far gone at this point. I think it just comes down to a money issue. It's just plain cheaper and easier for the B&P to run on trackage rights. The B&O, CSX, and the B&P litterally ran that line into the ground and now it's beyond saving.

-B in B

by Allegheny

The line to West Valley is used occasionally for secretive shipments out that contain low level nuclear waste - these trips usually occur in the middle of the night for obvious reasons. The federal government provided funds to the B&P to rehab the line to the West Valley nuclear site, and also on the main line to its connection to NS at Machias Jct. Yes, ties have been placed all along the line for replacement. As far as the hoppers between Great Valley and Salamanca, these are on a siding owned by Gernatt Gravel & Asphalt Products, and an old B&P GP-9 is used to shuffle the cars under the loader. I believe this loco is now owned by Gernatt, as it has their name painted under the cab window. I was told this siding was also to be available for other customers as a team track, but there usually isn't any room for any other cars, and I haven't seen anything different than the old hoppers there. The railroad uses part of the old wye at the depot in Salamanca for a team track as well, and there are often log cars spotted there and logs are loaded on these for out shipments. I believe occasional interchange takes place between B&P and the WNY&PA at the Windfall connecting track. As far as mainline trains, there are usually only two per day, one early AM between 6 and 7 AM through Ellicottville/Great Valley, and the opposite counterpart around 10 PM in this area. Trains aren't overly long either, usually 30 to 40 cars, although they often have 3-4 locos, usually the SD-45's and lately a way cool old SP tunnel motor lettered LTEX (Larry's Truck & Electric, I think). I've got to get a photo of that one before it leaves the property. These trains may pick up additional loads at Bradford on their way south, so maybe this is why they have the extra power on. Trains can often be found tied up at the East Salamanca depot in the evening and on weekends.

by Railroaded

That main line train at 6-7 AM, is that running north to Buffalo ?

-B in B

hi

by thebigham

When I was living in Arcade, the northbound B&P train went through Arcade between 10-11pm.

The southbound came through Arcade anytime between 3-7am.

Chris

by railwatcher

Crossing is poorly marked and unsafe from a highway standards viewpoint. I drove Rt 242 overnight and albeit a new paving, all markings regarding the railroad crossing at Ashford Jct. that heads north to West Valley is improperly marked. NO White Railroad crossing markings exist in White paint or Cross Buck signs, just the yellow crossing notifying the approach to the crossing. In the dark, 3 am, it was difficult to find the tracks considering the curviture androlling of the roadway and the intersection of Rt 240 that it crosses through. .......and they transport nuclear waste over this crossing. This is not an intelligent or safe locations at all. They could at least put proper identification of a crossing up, I assume there is a stop and protect order for this, but a nocturnal operation is flat out unsafe. AND it's only Hazz-Mat!.

Greg