• Worst transit line?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CS

Most of the subway facilities are grubby even compared with New York
much of which is not much better.
I agree - I've found New York's stations in general to be much cleaner than Boston's. Of course, neither system can touch Toronto when it comes to cleanliness.

JD[/quote]

Huh???
I was just down there at NYCTA - that place is awful! Dirty, old, smelly, HOT, umcomfortable - Boylston is better than most stations I saw on the 2 train in Brooklyn.
  by octr202

CS wrote:
Most of the subway facilities are grubby even compared with New York
much of which is not much better.
I agree - I've found New York's stations in general to be much cleaner than Boston's. Of course, neither system can touch Toronto when it comes to cleanliness.

JD
Huh???
I was just down there at NYCTA - that place is awful! Dirty, old, smelly, HOT, umcomfortable - Boylston is better than most stations I saw on the 2 train in Brooklyn.[/quote]

And, it all depends on where you are on the T. This morning, i got off at Kendall, and the tile floor had been buffed to an almost mirror-like reflective shine.

by mb41

The worst transit line in Boston has got to be the Orange line, LOL

Here is my thoughts and experiences.

When you have to wait over 15 minutes for a train and then you get on a car with no Air Condt. and then the train delays at a stop....yikes it sucks.

I know the green is no better sometimes.
  by RailBus63

CS wrote:Huh???
I was just down there at NYCTA - that place is awful! Dirty, old, smelly, HOT, umcomfortable - Boylston is better than most stations I saw on the 2 train in Brooklyn.
I've been to both NYC and Boston several times this year. My opinions in response to your post are:
Dirty
Stations – those in both Manhattan and downtown Boston are generally cleaner than the outlying stations on the lines.

Subway cars - I found NYC's to be cleaner than cars on the MBTA. MBTA subway cars always seem to have newspapers and other trash on the seats and floors. In NYC, cars are cleaned at the terminals after each trip.

Buses – no contest, NYCT buses have it all over MBTA buses.
old
The MBTA does have a larger number of modernized stations, but newer isn’t necessarily better if they don’t keep the stations well maintained.
smelly
Aside from passengers who don’t use deodorant and occasionally use dark corners as public restrooms (which both systems have), I don’t find the odors of either system to be offensive.
HOT, umcomfortable
Yes, NYC's subways are hot in the summertime - I've been told it's because the lines are mostly right under the streets and because of the extensive steel used in its construction, which retains heat. But the A/C systems on the cars work very well.
Boylston is better than most stations I saw on the 2 train in Brooklyn.
Well, I haven’t ridden the 2 in Brooklyn in years, but most of the NYC subway stations I’ve been to recently were better than Boylston.

JD

by dudeursistershot

Here's my proposal:

Raise fares to $1.75, then use all that money to raise the salaries for all the MBTA management. Then, fire everyone in T management and bring in Wal-Mart management to replace them. They'd definately shake some things up and kick some ass, and they'd probably do a good job on the unions too...

by mb41

Does worst transit line include buses? LOL... that list can go on and on :)

by Robert Paniagua

In NYC, cars are cleaned at the terminals after each trip.

I wonder why they don't do this in Boston. They should clean out each Red/Orange/Blue Line train at each terminus.

by StevieC48

I dont know if they have them any more but at North and South Sta's Amtrak when they ran the commuter rail had a cleaning crew to clean all trains. Dont know if they still keep up this practice