• Single Arm Pan on Arrow III #1463

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by keyboardkat

For whatever it's worth, I believe the single-arm Faively pantograph was a French design, as opposed to the diamond-shaped pantographs (called Stenisnen pantographs) on the as-build Arrows.
  by sixty-six

ryanov wrote:
AmTransit wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Considering MU's can go across both divisions, are they going to do all of them anyway? (but the Hoboken division is currently Arrowless with no overhead wire power in HOB...)
They can't easily go across both divisions without having the voltage change done at the shop, so I would say probably not.
As far as I know, however, it can and does happen... and pretty regularly.
Not as regularly as you'd like to think.
  by Silverliner II

keyboardkat wrote:For whatever it's worth, I believe the single-arm Faively pantograph was a French design, as opposed to the diamond-shaped pantographs (called Stenisnen pantographs) on the as-build Arrows.
"Stemmann", to be exact. And incidentally, I noticed in some old shots of Arrow III's from the pre-NJT era, they only had single shoes on them instead of the double shoe now used.

I wonder if they still have that pair with the Schunk pantograph on it, or if that got swapped out already....
  by ApproachMedium

Around 9 am today I saw a train thru linden east that had two pairs in the consist with the same style of new pan. One was def brand new as it was clean of any carbon build up. I wonder how these new pans will fair with the bouncing wire.
  by Silverliner II

ApproachMedium wrote:Around 9 am today I saw a train thru linden east that had two pairs in the consist with the same style of new pan. One was def brand new as it was clean of any carbon build up. I wonder how these new pans will fair with the bouncing wire.
Hopefully as well as they do on the locomotives! :)
  by ryanov

sixty-six wrote:
ryanov wrote:
AmTransit wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Considering MU's can go across both divisions, are they going to do all of them anyway? (but the Hoboken division is currently Arrowless with no overhead wire power in HOB...)
They can't easily go across both divisions without having the voltage change done at the shop, so I would say probably not.
As far as I know, however, it can and does happen... and pretty regularly.
Not as regularly as you'd like to think.
I have no preference one way or the other. I was not aware AmTransit was an employee -- I stand corrected, it was just what I thought an employee said in the past.
  by 25Hz

The ones in hoboken were damaged.
  by ApproachMedium

25Hz wrote:

Please, tell me what ones in hoboken? Only the wire is down in hoboken, Not many MUs were stored there if any because that yard they keep them in is very low.
  by nick11a

ApproachMedium wrote:
25Hz wrote:

Please, tell me what ones in hoboken? Only the wire is down in hoboken, Not many MUs were stored there if any because that yard they keep them in is very low.
More speculation it seems.
  by Jtgshu

as far as I know, there were no damaged MUs in Hoboken - they were parked in the tunnels during the storm and are just fine. Because Hoboken has been having power issues, many of the Hoboken MUs were switched over to Newark voltage and have been running on the NEC to help out with the equipment shortages there.
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:
As someone who moved the Hoboken MU's to higher ground before the storm, please tell us how you know this.
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
25Hz wrote:
As someone who moved the Hoboken MU's to higher ground before the storm, please tell us how you know this.
Or better yet, how a substation looks anything like an MU car (adding on to you sixty-six not turning it back on you).
  by gregorygrice

I've been seeing a lot of new panto Arrows on the NEC now. Some 12 car sets with 3 new panto pairs. So I guess the testing stage is over and the refurbishment stage has started?
  by F23A4

Indeed. I think I'm riding on that consist now as I type this post.

Hopefully I didn't miss any earlier mention of this but is there any performance advantage with installing these new pans on the arrows?
  by ApproachMedium

performance none. common parts compatibility with the rest of the fleet and the thought that these new ones will less likely take down the wire at Metro park 5 times a year.