• Single Arm Pan on Arrow III #1463

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:they have had one on i believe the 1462/63 since probably last winter/early spring, ive seen it a few times over the summer. they added I think a differnet one to another pair (I wanna say in the 1500s, maybe 1510/11? im not positive and I don't feel like getting my paper work out to look) recently.

Im sure Jimzim will chime in with the correct info :)
Oh here we go.
  by Jtgshu

sixty-six wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:they have had one on i believe the 1462/63 since probably last winter/early spring, ive seen it a few times over the summer. they added I think a differnet one to another pair (I wanna say in the 1500s, maybe 1510/11? im not positive and I don't feel like getting my paper work out to look) recently.

Im sure Jimzim will chime in with the correct info :)
Oh here we go.
Two to go!

ehhh ehhh
  by ApproachMedium

Curious, have they converted this car so that the pan is fully air up, gravity down? Unlike the old arrow pans which were always held up with springs, air to pull them down. Requiring you to use a panto pole to lower a pain on a fully dead train.
  by ex Budd man

Septa Schuncks are 'spring up/air down'.
  by Silverliner II

MACTRAXX wrote:B4180: The A2 cars I recall always had single arm pantographs from the time they were built in the mid 70s...

Does anyone have a picture of these two experimental pantographs? MACTRAXX
Yep, the Arrow II's were originally built with Faively pantographs, same as originally on the Silverliner IV's. The Faively pans were replaced with Stemmann pans like those on the Arrow III's by NJT sometime in the mid-1990's.
Jtgshu wrote:Down in the land of diesels you don't have the pleasure of dead buried pairs, dynamics cutting out and of course the unbelievable amount slack action in a 12 car MU set with a few singles in it....
Then JT, I may have seen your nightmare train of Arrows on the Corridor a few weeks back. A 12-car train with FOUR singles in the consist (two of the singles were maybe the 5th and 6th cars, with pans back-to-back; the other two singles were the 9th and 12th cars).
  by TSF

they operate the same as the steinmann pans. dunno if they are removing or what but the bo told us that they are no longer restricted to the hoboken side so you may see said one armed pans round the nec or the coast. eyes peeled.
  by N-Trizzy2609

So Tonight I saw a 8 car set around 5 pulling by into Metropark with a pair that had a Silverliner II Style pantograph. I've only seen the M8-looking one in person at Newark Broad a month ago, so this was new to me. If it wasn't so dark I could of said the numbers.
  by Silverliner II

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:So Tonight I saw a 8 car set around 5 pulling by into Metropark with a pair that had a Silverliner II Style pantograph. I've only seen the M8-looking one in person at Newark Broad a month ago, so this was new to me. If it wasn't so dark I could of said the numbers.
Ahhh, the mystery Arrow pair with the Silverliner IV-style Schunk pantograph.... one test pair on each division, of course....
  by faxman

I saw the 1504/1505 with the single pan out on the NEC in Edison on tue
  by ApproachMedium

The one with the silverliner pan was on track one in penn tonight with an alp on either end. Its now in hudson yard.
  by faxman

THE 1463 with the single pan is now on the NEC.. I saw east bound at metuchen at 7:48 it was last car
  by ApproachMedium

It will be nice when they ALL have these, maybe we will have less wire incidents at metropark.
  by sixty-six

ApproachMedium wrote:It will be nice when they ALL have these, maybe we will have less wire incidents at metropark.
Sounds like more of an Amtrak issue.
  by ApproachMedium

I dont know, it seems like every time I hear about the wire coming down its an Arrow train pulling in to metro park or stuck in the tunnel. They are the only trains left with sprung pantos. If I recall correctly its not a problem that just happens on amtrak, it does happen on the M&E now and then as well.
  by sixty-six

ApproachMedium wrote:I dont know, it seems like every time I hear about the wire coming down its an Arrow train pulling in to metro park or stuck in the tunnel. They are the only trains left with sprung pantos. If I recall correctly its not a problem that just happens on amtrak, it does happen on the M&E now and then as well.
Not nearly as much as it does on Amtrak. I can't remember the last time an Arrow ripped down wire on the M&E.