• Single Arm Pan on Arrow III #1463

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken S.

What's the deal here? I noticed this when I saw it trailing Train 420 today which was the 5MU set that roams the Gladstone.
  by sullivan1985

There are two MUs roaming the Hoboken Division with experimental pantographs. One is the same as the ALPs. The other is of another single arm design. The test will most likely determine which type of pan will be used when they begin to retire the arrows and keep the best actors.
  by ex Budd man

The new pan could be from Schunk, they look similar(red) to the Brecknell-Willis style. Septa is using them on the IVs and Vs. They incorporate an automatic lowering feartue to protect the wire should the pan hit something.
  by blockline4180

Ken S. wrote:What's the deal here? I noticed this when I saw it trailing Train 420 today which was the 5MU set that roams the Gladstone.
I recall back in the early 90's the Arrow II had single arm pans towards the end of them as well.
  by sixty-six

ex Budd man wrote:The new pan could be from Schunk, they look similar(red) to the Brecknell-Willis style. Septa is using them on the IVs and Vs. They incorporate an automatic lowering feartue to protect the wire should the pan hit something.
Yes, one of them is a Schunk pan.
  by MACTRAXX

blockline4180 wrote:
Ken S. wrote:What's the deal here? I noticed this when I saw it trailing Train 420 today which was the 5MU set that roams the Gladstone.
I recall back in the early 90's the Arrow II had single arm pans towards the end of them as well.
B4180: The A2 cars I recall always had single arm pantographs from the time they were built in the mid 70s...

Does anyone have a picture of these two experimental pantographs? MACTRAXX
  by sullivan1985

MACTRAXX wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:
B4180: The A2 cars I recall always had single arm pantographs from the time they were built in the mid 70s...

Does anyone have a picture of these two experimental pantographs? MACTRAXX
I do not, but you could manipulate it yourself for one of em. Just take any old arrow and use an image editor to put an ALP pan on top. It will look sloppy, but you'll get the idea. The Chunks pan doesn't look all that different either.
  by Jersey_Mike

Replacing those pantographs is an insult to the fine workers at the United Knitting Machine corporation. :(

(Actually they are not only still in business, but also the current US Schunk licensee so there's fine example of a buggy whip maker adapting.)
  by pgengler

I'm glad to see this post because I thought I saw one of these a couple of weeks ago and eventually just convinced myself that what I saw was the pan for an ALP-46 on the track next to it.
  by Jtgshu

they have had one on i believe the 1462/63 since probably last winter/early spring, ive seen it a few times over the summer. they added I think a differnet one to another pair (I wanna say in the 1500s, maybe 1510/11? im not positive and I don't feel like getting my paper work out to look) recently.

Im sure Jimzim will chime in with the correct info :)
  by GE-RULES

Jtgshu wrote:Im sure Jimzim will chime in with the correct info :)
It doesn't always have to be Jimzim, and are you saying if its not posted by him then it's not correct info?

It's car 1505 by the way and they are new Schunk panatographs equipped with an extra support arm to differentiate them from the existing Stemmann pantograph.
  by Jtgshu

GE-RULES wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Im sure Jimzim will chime in with the correct info :)
It doesn't always have to be Jimzim, and are you saying if its not posted by him then it's not correct info?

It's car 1505 by the way and they are new Schunk panatographs equipped with an extra support arm to differentiate them from the existing Stemmann pantograph.
No, GE it doesn't, but he is usually quickest :) And I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth, btw.....

I don't care what their names are, I don't care what they look like, I don't care if they are made out of spaghetti - I just want them to make contact with the wire and make train move!!! hahaha
  by GE-RULES

Jtgshu wrote:And I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth, btw.....
Oh come on dude I was just poking a little fun that's all, didn't mean any harm and certainly had no intention of putting anything in your mouth...LOL

Jtgshu wrote:I don't care what their names are, I don't care what they look like, I don't care if they are made out of spaghetti - I just want them to make contact with the wire and make train move!!! hahaha
I don't care about any of that either, I just provided it because the company included it in the Bulletin Order and I figured the rivet-counting foamers would like that info...not that they wouldn't have figured that out on their own because they know the equipment better than we do sometimes...ok most of the time...LOL
  by Jtgshu

GE-RULES wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:And I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth, btw.....
Oh come on dude I was just poking a little fun that's all, didn't mean any harm and certainly had no intention of putting anything in your mouth...LOL

Jtgshu wrote:I don't care what their names are, I don't care what they look like, I don't care if they are made out of spaghetti - I just want them to make contact with the wire and make train move!!! hahaha
I don't care about any of that either, I just provided it because the company included it in the Bulletin Order and I figured the rivet-counting foamers would like that info...not that they wouldn't have figured that out on their own because they know the equipment better than we do sometimes...ok most of the time...LOL
Down in the land of diesels you don't have the pleasure of dead buried pairs, dynamics cutting out and of course the unbelievable amount slack action in a 12 car MU set with a few singles in it.........instead you get full service at the gas station, clean windshields and water?!?!?!?! Thats not fair!!! :)

Hopefully you won't have to shake the rust off your handles any time soon!

good point about the buffs knowing the stuff more than we do, which is often true. I used to care, now I just wanna get over the road.....and stop at least in the town i want it too, or at least somewhere close to the station.....good thing about big trains tho - better chance of at least one door on the platform - important during leaf season!!!!