• Single Arm Pan on Arrow III #1463

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

The weathered stainless steel plus bright new pantos looks really weird.

From SEPTA land regarding pantograph style....

http://s899.photobucket.com/user/metsfa ... 9.jpg.html

See the difference? The one in back is a much older design, from the 30's.
  by ApproachMedium

SEPTA has bright red pans too, when they are new. When the pans spend enough time with arching carbon all over the place they will end up black like the SEPTA ones too.
  by 25Hz

ApproachMedium wrote:SEPTA has bright red pans too, when they are new. When the pans spend enough time with arching carbon all over the place they will end up black like the SEPTA ones too.
Am i correct in thinking these will also arc less than the old design due to less bouncing?
  by Nasadowsk

25Hz wrote: See the difference? The one in back is a much older design, from the 30's.
Faiveley's single arm pantograph was introduced in France in 1955. It was patented in the US shortly after, and first used in the US in '63.
  by ApproachMedium

25Hz wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:SEPTA has bright red pans too, when they are new. When the pans spend enough time with arching carbon all over the place they will end up black like the SEPTA ones too.
Am i correct in thinking these will also arc less than the old design due to less bouncing?
Supposedly. Anytime I have seen them go by they seem to not be doing it as much. But its also during daylight, and at about 60MPH.
  by Silverliner II

Nasadowsk wrote:
25Hz wrote: See the difference? The one in back is a much older design, from the 30's.
Faiveley's single arm pantograph was introduced in France in 1955. It was patented in the US shortly after, and first used in the US in '63.
On the Budd Silverliner II's, no less.

I went hunting for Arrows to video at Princeton Junction today. Was there from 4:30 to 6:30pm and only one train was an Arrow consist besides the Dinky. That one train had one pair with a new pantograph. But it was not a wasted trip, as PJ was a stop I had not yet covered before. I had planned to go to Jersey Avenue, as I have not been there yet either, but Track 4 is still OOS and work equipment blocks the view to the west....

Next try will be Linden, maybe.... I'm working my way up. Since 1996, I've managed to railfan every NEC stop from 30th Street Station to New York Penn at least once except for Secaucus, Newark Airport (not even gonna try that one), North Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Linden, and Jersey Avenue...
  by ACeInTheHole

Silverliner II wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:

I went hunting for Arrows to video at Princeton Junction today. Was there from 4:30 to 6:30pm and only one train was an Arrow consist besides the Dinky. That one train had one pair with a new pantograph. But it was not a wasted trip, as PJ was a stop I had not yet covered before. I had planned to go to Jersey Avenue, as I have not been there yet either, but Track 4 is still OOS and work equipment blocks the view to the west....

Next try will be Linden, maybe.... I'm working my way up. Since 1996, I've managed to railfan every NEC stop from 30th Street Station to New York Penn at least once except for Secaucus, Newark Airport (not even gonna try that one), North Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Linden, and Jersey Avenue...
Lemme know when you hit Linden.. I haven't been there in ages.
  by 25Hz

Silverliner II wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:

The airport is great! I've spent countless hours there. As a bonus you get to see freight and the occasional airplane taking off or landing rigfht over the platforms. Also, there is the occasional work or coast line diesel. :)
  by eflammer

Just curious after reading this thread.. On average how many "de-wiring" events does NJT have each year?
  by andegold

Noticed a new pair on the Dinky today. Didn't get car numbers but they both had single arm pans.
  by ChrisU

eflammer wrote:Just curious after reading this thread.. On average how many "de-wiring" events does NJT have each year?
Yesterday, train 3839 had pantograph damage, it was an ALP46A. I think the # was 4650.
  by 25Hz

NJTArrow2 wrote:
eflammer wrote:Just curious after reading this thread.. On average how many "de-wiring" events does NJT have each year?
Yesterday, train 3839 had pantograph damage, it was an ALP46A. I think the # was 4650.
Any info on where it happened?
  by ChrisU

25Hz wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:
Any info on where it happened?
An Amtrak passed him and reported it so on the way home I passed the dead set around MP 25 he had to transfer his passengers to another train and as a result they where about 30-40mins late.