Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#836057  by Donko142

It appears that the 4243 will be returning to the Scenic this week for all us ALCO lovers. I beleive the 424 will be warming up it's 251 power plant in the Utica area for the next few weeks. Watch for the unit in the area. The railroad also had a big week with the Mountain bikes last week, this was due to a big push by the volunteers and Thendara staff to really go after this area of ridership. I hope the 4243 will find her way back to Thendara in the next few weeks.

Be Safe
 #836482  by Donko142

Has anyone seen a green and black 424 around Utica yet ??
 #836557  by Cactus Jack

seems to be still over on NYSW side

2 F units set up for tomorrow AM's train to Thendara

Who knows, things could change ... wait and see.
 #838946  by Donko142

I hear the 4243 is back on the ADIX, also heard it will be on duty in Utica and we may be playing musical F-Units on the system. What ever power we have it's always a pleasure to operate such fine equipment on one of the most scenic lines out there. Fall follage will be coming soon in the North Country lol

Be Safe
 #839047  by tree68

We swapped the 1500 for the 1502 on Thursday - 1502 is now the "duty" locomotive in Thendara. 1500 will be returning to Utica on Saturday.
 #840534  by pjaf

Hello all, This past Saturday my Wife, Grandson and I rode the train from Utica to Thendara and back. What a GREAT TIME!! We brought our bikes on the train and rode in town. I would have never known about this ride if it wasn't mentioned here! Thanks to all who make this happen and a special thanks to the Conductor who took time for the special picture with my Grandson! He loves it. Thanks again ,Paul Jaffer
P1000472.jpg
P1000472.jpg (73.04 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
 #841995  by Donko142

It is actully the 4243, but we know what you ment lol. The big ALCO performed flawlessly as always, it's such a pleasure to operate a locmotive like this. The passengers enjoyed a 100 mile round trip through the beautiful Adirondacks. I never thought I would care much for diesels as I really just like operation the steam stuff. But being around the Morristown & Erie then steamtown / Delaware Lackawanna gave me a bit of interest in the ALCO's. Running this beautiful line in the 4243 is making me into a real ALCO lover. After seeing and feeling many ALCO's perform first hand it's hard to believe this company went out, even harder to believe MLW went out. Guess we have to be thankful for what we got !!
Hopefully the 8223 will return again before to long.
Be Safe
 #845034  by Donko142

Things are moving along on the 5485. On two different days last week some ADIX volunteers were hitting the car hard with the grinders. There will be another small group working on the car today. The car should be in service by mid Sept. New volunteers are welcome and needed as we enter our busy season on the Adirondack Scenic.
 #846968  by Donko142

Sad but true, it appears the Adirondack crews beloved ALCO 424 will be running out her final days on the ADIX this fall. Get your last shots as it appears the 4243 will be going to a new home with her owner a few states away come November. It's hard enough to get the opertunity to see ALCO's running, but if one gets above Remson NY they can not only see a big ALCO running, they can see it running a speed like they were built to do. Plan a trip up to see us, remember the Fall Folliage up here is up to a month ahead of the foliage in most states in the area. It's starting to turn already

PS would have been a great pic w the cab door shut lol