• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scottychaos

I dont know about "phenomenal"..its ok, but it clearly stands out as photoshopped to me:

1. The contrast of the locomotive is VERY different than the rest of the scene.
the caboose is very low contrast, murky, as is the entire foreground and the entire background.
the locomotive however is much higher contrast..it shouldnt be if it was really there,
it should match the contrast of the overall scene.

2. Look at the pilot ("cowcatcher") of the loco, where it falls behind the steps of the caboose..
some black and white lines are just randomly stuck in there..

3. The loco is clearly a 4-4-0..however in the photo its a 2-4-0.
the second set of pilot wheels is simply gone, missing..
it should be between the kid and the guy to the right of the kid. (our right)
its just not there.

4. The front driver is also missing, on the far side..
there is just a white space where it should be.

5. Look at the far rail..
under the caboose, its that murky low-contrast grey..
then the rail falls under the loco, and it suddenly becomes pitch black..
follow it back..it mysteriously turns to pure white inbetween the sets of tender trucks..

6. On both sets of tender trucks, all the wheels on the far side are missing..
the tender is balancing on 4 wheels, all on one side..

I guess I dont really mind that its photoshopped..
I just dont understand why it would be..

(although it does bug me a bit, because a historic photo has been altered without being indicated as such..
I do photoshop alterations of train pics myself..but I always make sure they are clearly labeled as "fakes"..)
such as: http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/LVRR_SD70.html

Scot
  by mowretired

Scot, thanks for pointing that out! I should have looked closer but just looked at the cabin with the "Fleur-de-lis" which looks lagit. On closer inspection I see your point and agree it is in fact "photoshopped","photoshopped" being a fairly resent term. The doctoring of photographs has been around as long as photography itself. The photo could have been put together some years ago for what ever reason, good bad or otherwise.
  by Donko142

Rules class was a long day for all (12hrs), but over 65 people showed up at the 2nd rules class and a great deal was learned. Friday's beer tasting train followed the same route as last weeks to Remsen,minus the bad weather. Jay has a work/clean- up weekend set up for May 22nd and 23rd in Thendara, all are welcome.

Be Safe
  by Donko142

Forgot, while a check ride was being done I rode in the firemans seat for the first time going North. The village of Remsen offers some really cool shot's for the railfan. Even with poor weather one can see the shot that someone could take here. The tracks can be seen to the right of the falls, this is just below Pine St. Lol I never even saw this before from the other side of the cab. On a sunny day a shot from here with the RS-3 or the F-units would be awsome. Took this today during rules class lunch break.

by Donko142

The last few days found Rich on his grapple truck ( home made I should add, and it works pretty dam good ) Monday was no different from other days. This is a good example of something for everyone to do. Rich hasn't worked the train crew in about a year, but he's been digging up rail and meterial for the railroad month after month. There always a need for someone in the track dept or in the shop if one has no interest in train service. The small pile of rail he just dropped is the start of his 3rd truck load of 3ft sections of scrap rail. I beleive he's over 10 tons this week, the scrap money gets put in our run-around fund. One can notice the switch on the ground and Rich already laid out the rail in the yard. We hope to have a much needed run-around installed shortly. Remember new members wanted and welcome !

by Donko142

Today was the volunteer lunch banquet at the Buffalo Head in Forrestport. F-10 1502 headed the 3 car train North from Utica for members that wanted to take the train up from Utica. GP-9 6076 headed the move South after a few hour lunch where many members received awards for their actions during the 2009 season. Project 5485 was presented to the public and flyers were handed out to all members at the meeting. All and all it was a nice day for 75 plus people to ride the Adirondack, the views from Kayuta Bridge were second to none today.

Be Safe
DC
  by Donko142

These are some pictures from Al from Saturdays trip, the first trip up the main to the Buffalo Head in 2010. The first shot is of the train passing under the " Cow Bridge " Southbound. This bridge is owned by a farmer and used to get his cows over to the next field. F10 1502 was up front with "Doc" at the throttle while heading North.

As the volunteers were eating 6076 was standing by outside, just North of the crossing. The well maitained ROW is clear in this picture.
  by Jmark

I've been with the Adirondack Scenic Railroad for several years now and am a qualified Trainman, Conductor and Signal Maintainer.

We need help 5/22 and 5/23 in Thendara. I'm organizing a pre-season opening work weekend. The work isn't glamorous but we could use the help.

Feel free to PM me or Donko for more information.

New volunteers are welcome!
  by Donko142

Nice work Jay, need to work on the motivational speach a little. LOL. Jason is running the show on this work party. I believe there is a few equiptment moves to be made. I know there's some painting and general clean up to be done. But I'm sure it will be a good time with more then a few laughs. I'm sure a trip across the street to Van Aukens will fit in there somewhere after the work day. The 5485 should be in Thendara by this point, we may even move it up that weekend if the new wheel set is installed by then.

Be Safe and a nice Holiday with your families, stop over and check us out. If you have an interest in railroads, can be safe around people and equiptment, and are looking to get involved for lots of good times and laughs, this sounds like the place for you.

Enjoy Be safe
DC
  by Jmark

The weather looks like its in our favor for this weekend!

Sunny and 70's Friday
30% chance of rain & partly cloudy Saturday & Sunday.

We'll be meeting in the yard (south of the station across birch st) at 09:30 on Friday.
We'll be around the station/yard in the mornings Saturday and Sunday.

Newcomers are welcome, please bring the following:

Hard Hat
Safety Toe Boots
Gloves
Safety Glasses

Directions to Thendara, NY:

NYS Thruway to Exit 31 (Utica)
Follow Routes 8/12 NORTH
Stay on Route 12 North, Route 8 will split, Route 28 will join
When Route 28 splits, follow Route 28 North to "Old Forge" (keep right)
We are about 1 mile short of the Village of Old Forge on the right side. If you go under the "New York Central" Bridge, you went too far.

Our first order of business is going to be setup/prep for removing a tree. The tree is getting close to a couple of cars and needs to be converted to sawdust. Once that's complete, we'll spot the cars back in their correct location and begin hooking them up to water/power/sewer for the season.

After that's done, we'll be cleaning/painting the inside of the station, cleaning up scrap metal around the yard, and doing more general prep work.

Again, Everybody is welcome, even if you don't have RR experience. We'll be working Friday-Sunday and could use all the help we could get. This is a great first start for anybody willing to get interested in railroading and seeing what goes into a tourist operation like the Adirondack Scenic.
  by NaDspr

On a beautiful sunny Friday, May 21, a deadhead equipment move was made with Eng 6076 and 5 cars departing Utica for Thendara at 11:45 am. Upon arrival at Thendara, part of the consist was spotted next to the freight house so that supplies could be loaded on the cars for the Lake Placid - Saranac Lake operation. Then the Lake Placid cars were moved north to the passenger station for other supplies to be loaded onto the train. The rear cars of the train from Utica were then spotted at the freight house. They are for the Thendara local.
After that, the engine was used to move a camp car off the Foley Lumber track so that a tree could be cut down. Once this mission was completed and the camp car respotted, the engine was used to dig out a few other passenger cars that were on the north storage track. The final move of the day was to make up the train for Lake Placid, which went north the following morning on Saturday, May 22 for yet another "Adirondack Adventure."
As always, it was another great day to be on the Adirondack Scenic rails.
  by Leo_Ames

Donko142 wrote:These are some pictures from Al from Saturdays trip, the first trip up the main to the Buffalo Head in 2010. The first shot is of the train passing under the " Cow Bridge " Southbound. This bridge is owned by a farmer and used to get his cows over to the next field. F10 1502 was up front with "Doc" at the throttle while heading North.

As the volunteers were eating 6076 was standing by outside, just North of the crossing. The well maitained ROW is clear in this picture.
How come in pictures and when I visit any of their stations along the line now, I only ever see lightweight streamlined passenger cars? I'm pretty sure when I first rode on the Adirodack Scenic in the 90s that the train was all prewar heavyweight equipment.

Something just doesn't look right seeing postwar cars going through the middle of the Adirondacks.
  by Cactus Jack

Leo_Ames is correct, that when the operation first started the trains were almost all old heavyweights which gave a very different character and look to the operation and was more historically reminiscent of actual operations through most of the NYC years except the very end.

Most of the early scenic equipment was ex-CNR commuter cars from the 1930's I think that were originally long distance cars converted in the 50's and 60's. The Adirondack Railway of 1980 used old PRR P-70's which were fine cars (even if they were PRR running in NYC RR territory) I agree it does look strange, even after all these years, to see post war equipment and even 2nd generation diesels on the line.

However, the scenery is little changed through most of the timeless Adirondacks so plan on taking a ride or two this season or come out and volunteer and get involved in keeping this operation alive and growing.
  by Donko142

Looks like there going to be a change up around here. Tomorrow F-10 1502 ( Ex Metro North 1152 ) and F-7 1508 ( Ex Alaska 1508 ) will be headed for Thendara to cover the locals for an unknown amount of time. Due to last weeks fuel spill on CSX, F-7 1500 ( Ex- I don't know) and C-424 4243 ( Ex- SP&S, BN 4243) got tied up, there moves across the tracks to RDM were held up for a few days.

GP-9 6076 is in Lake Placid as of Monday and were all gearing up for the 2010 regular season.

Project 5485 is moving along well, should be set up for credit card donations with in a week.