• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Gunsnclapton

I love that Geep. I wish I was up there to see her flyin past me with the horn blasting.
  by Cactus Jack

The geep is a nice piece of power. 26 air, cash register control stand and a good performer.
Flying it isn't too hard, but landing'em takes a little concentration. Thankfully when working the Utica train enginemen can count on plenty of Ginny's coffee from the cafe car to stay alert.

Good people and good times. Come for a ride or stop by and see how you can help. I just got a notice we will have a Thendara work weekend May 22 & 23. Lots of grunt work and general housekeeping with plenty of camaraderie I am sure and time at Van Aukens afterwards. Thendara is 1 mile south of Old Forge, NY and about 45 miles north of Utica, NY on Route 28 for those not sure about place and geography.
  by tree68

And if the rolling stock is there, and there's enough help, maybe we can wash some windows, etc, too...
  by Gunsnclapton

What type of horn is on the Geep anyway??
  by MikeVT

Is it still in the plan to connect Lake Placid with Utica sometime in the future?
  by tree68

MikeVT wrote:Is it still in the plan to connect Lake Placid with Utica sometime in the future?
That's always in the plan. It's just that money thing standing in the way.

Physically, it's connected already - the equipment for Lake Placid is in Utica as we speak, and will be ferried north in May. It's just not ready for prime time.
Gunsnclapton wrote:What type of horn is on the Geep anyway??
It has two - I'm no expert on RR horns, so somebody else will have to tell you what the horn is.

It also has a Hancock Air Chime (sounds like a steam whistle) that's used for trail crossings and the "in town" crossings instead of the horn. Less grating on the local residents' ears.
  by scharnhorst

I've never been on this railroad I've seen the locos in Utica but thats about it.
  by Donko142

Well here we are less then a week to go to the rules classes and 2010 is off to a great start on the Adirondack Scenic. I'm very glad to report after having a great turn out for easter trip, it happened again last night on my first trip up out of Utica for 2010. The train master called and asked the crew to arrive early and add another car to the wine train due to tickets sales. Also glad to report (and very thankful) that the MA&N have done alot of work on the ROW, lots of track work was clearly done over the line, plus the brush hog was still out there and doing a hell of a job. This was the first time I ran the GP-9 in awhile, what great unit. As I write this from Old Forge @ 0940HRS it's snowing hard, will see what it leaves behind. Tickets are still availible for next Fridays beer train, leaving Utica at 6:00pm

Be safe.
  by tree68

scharnhorst wrote:I've never been on this railroad I've seen the locos in Utica but thats about it.
Well, why not?

Rules class in Saranac Lake went well. It snowed there, but not real hard - it didn't stick at all.

Next stop - cleanup weekend at Thendara. Plenty to do!

Scuttlebutt is that the "local" equipment will travel to Thendara around the 20th, with the Lake Placid equipment venturing north the next day.
  by scharnhorst

tree68 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:I've never been on this railroad I've seen the locos in Utica but thats about it.
Well, why not?

Rules class in Saranac Lake went well. It snowed there, but not real hard - it didn't stick at all.

Next stop - cleanup weekend at Thendara. Plenty to do!

Scuttlebutt is that the "local" equipment will travel to Thendara around the 20th, with the Lake Placid equipment venturing north the next day.
I try to get out that way but its not easy maybe someday when i got a bit of time on a weekend I'll try to get out there. Its been about 6 or 7 years since I've been to Utica Rome area.
  by Donko142

6076 warming up on Friday night, tickets for the beer train are still availible as of 10:00 this morning for this Fridays trip, leaving Utica at 6:15 pm.

Please keep watching this site, my fundraiser should be starting by Wednesday and I'll be asking all of you for a hand. Will keep you posted !!

LOOKING FOR EVEN MORE NEW VOLUNTEERS !!!
  by mowretired

Great pic Don, have I missed something? What's with the Fleur-de-lis?
  by tree68

The Mohawk and Malone was also known as the Adirondack and St Lawrence (it's a tangled web) - the Fleur-de-lis was part of the A&SL image.

Check out the caboose:
http://www.historycentral.com/railroad/ ... ndack.html
  by scottychaos

tree68 wrote:The Mohawk and Malone was also known as the Adirondack and St Lawrence (it's a tangled web) - the Fleur-de-lis was part of the A&SL image.

Check out the caboose:
http://www.historycentral.com/railroad/ ... ndack.html
Its odd that someone would photoshop a historic photo like that..
I wonder why?
its quite obvious the locomotive was photoshopped into the scene..weird..

Scot
  by tree68

If someone did photoshop it, they did a phenomenal job. I blew it up a bit and I can't see where they stitched it in.

I suspect that the caboose appears hazier because of either a light leak during the exposure, or smoke from the locomotive (or some other source) blowing into the picture. The way the people are posing suggests that it was a rather long exposure, which would blur the smoke.