• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Alcoman

Here is a photo of the 1845 when it was was employed by CP Rail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Alcochaser

An RS18 is the canadian version of the RS11.

CPR did a heavy overhaul and upgrade on these. Refurbished electronics and cabs are the big changes. They are solid dependable power.

Even though these are Canadian units, they do have a strong New York connection. When CPR purchased the D&H they sent a large percentage of the CPR MLW fleet to the D&H due to the D&H personel being knowledgable ALCo units. D&H crews took to calling the RS18U "mules" for thier kicking abillity.
  by tree68

The Adirondack Scenic is the recipient of a community grant which will allow for purchase of the second unit. We're looking forward to seeing them on the property.
  by Dick H

If the source of the "community grant" is any governmental program,
local, state or federal, I hope they have the check and they better
process it post-haste.

The federal CDBG (Community Development Block Grant) program is
on a list of proposed eliminations of government programs to be
voted on in 2011. All kinds of cuts in federal programs will quickly
result in downshifting costs to local and state agencies. There are
even proposals to cut programs for the current fiscal year, if the
funds have not been spent. "He who hesitates is lost".
  by Donko142

As most of you know RS-18 1845 is on the property and is better condition then I could have dreamed of. Other then old paint the unit is in outstanding condition. Everything from thick wheels to beautiful wiring this unit is mint. Plus it's loaded with big dollar add on's. The volunteers on the Scenic went in to their own pockets and raised the money to buy this unit out right. As posted the group also received a grant from CDBG to assist with the final payment of the 1835 as it was a 2 unit deal.
As I understand it one of the RS-18 and the GP-9 will be holding down the fort in Lk Placid. The F's F-7 1508 and F-10 1502 will be covering Utica with the second RS-18 and 8223 is going to make her way back to Thendara in 2011.

The big 424 4243 will be going to CT where it's owner is now employed. That the plan at the moment as I'm told.

There will be big changes on the scenic in 2011 in all different aspects of the operation. Keep an eye on it. Lots of good stuff to come this year! New Volunteers Welcome.
  by scharnhorst

cool have to keep a look out for everything thats going on.