• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by cefredericks

Trail advocates are becoming more organized on the north end.
A community-action group has launched an economic study of the railroad corridor through the Tri-Lakes.

Based in Saranac Lake, AdkAction.org is using funds from private donors to take an objective, unbiased look at potential uses for the railroad bed, the existing tracks and the long path they cut through Adirondack forest.
http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x1 ... d-corridor
  by mowretired

Check this page out on Face Book: "Adirondack Rail Trail (Remove the Tracks)" and read the wall. Their getting as many municipalities as they can to support ripping up the rails.
  by Gunsnclapton

Yea, I don't think well have to worry about Scott, he can't even afford a real website.
  by Otto Vondrak

mowretired wrote:Check this page out on Face Book: "Adirondack Rail Trail (Remove the Tracks)" and read the wall. Their getting as many municipalities as they can to support ripping up the rails.
I think it's a moot point unless New York State all of a sudden reverses their position and decides to give away their hundred-odd mile transportation corridor to recreational trail development. So who's going to call up the NYSDOT and find out their official position on the matter?

-otto-
  by tree68

Otto Vondrak wrote: I think it's a moot point unless New York State all of a sudden reverses their position and decides to give away their hundred-odd mile transportation corridor to recreational trail development. So whomunicipalities as they can to support ripping up the rails. Who's going to call up the NYSDOT and find out their official position on the matter?
-otto-
The DOT fellow who attended the annual ARPS meeting last winter basically said "ain't happenin'."
  by Noel Weaver

Gunsnclapton wrote:So heres the video from Saturday everybody wanted to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIt6c5b3jY
And just in case you missed these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RutJJA8qBuY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjcmL-a3nl0

Enjoy :wink:
These videos convince me all the more that of all of the tourist railroads in New York State, this one more than any other
warrants state money to get the rest of the line into shape for passenger trains. It goes from somewhere to somewhere
more than the others do.
Thank you for posting the videos.
Noel Weaver
  by JoshKarpoff

I actually would have used it for work travel if it were open entirely from Utica to Lake Placid when I was doing engineering work for the state. We used to travel by train whenever possible. I had a project at NYS DOCS Adirondack Correctional Facility's boiler plant, which is just outside Lake Placid and I would have gladly taken Amtrak from Albany to Utica and the Adirondack to Lake Placid if I could. Too bad the Adirondack line doesn't connect to the same line that Amtrak's "Adirondack" uses to run between Schenectady and Montreal. Then it really would be a very useful line.

I'm curious, are there any major obstacles on the section of the line that isn't in regular service that prevent it from being used? For example, washouts, decrepit bridges, etc. or is it just a whole lot of track refurb work that needs to be done? Can Adirondack Scenic Railroad apply for federal grants, like NS and CSX do, or is it entirely dependent on fare revenue, donations and state grants?
  by goodnightjohnwayne

JoshKarpoff wrote:I actually would have used it for work travel if it were open entirely from Utica to Lake Placid when I was doing engineering work for the state. We used to travel by train whenever possible. I had a project at NYS DOCS Adirondack Correctional Facility's boiler plant, which is just outside Lake Placid and I would have gladly taken Amtrak from Albany to Utica and the Adirondack to Lake Placid if I could. Too bad the Adirondack line doesn't connect to the same line that Amtrak's "Adirondack" uses to run between Schenectady and Montreal. Then it really would be a very useful line.
This route actually was the NYC's route to Montreal, although the history is hard to explain:

Here's a link that explains it much better than I could:

http://nycshs.blogspot.com/2008/10/adir ... ision.html
JoshKarpoff wrote:I'm curious, are there any major obstacles on the section of the line that isn't in regular service that prevent it from being used? For example, washouts, decrepit bridges, etc. or is it just a whole lot of track refurb work that needs to be done? Can Adirondack Scenic Railroad apply for federal grants, like NS and CSX do, or is it entirely dependent on fare revenue, donations and state grants?
To give you an idea, there was talk of a $5 million state grant to extend service from Saranac Lake to Tupper Lake, which is only 25 miles or so. Keep in mind that it's 80 miles from Saranac Lake to Thendera.

Now, for a viable service, all the way from Utica to Lake Placid, you have to cover 141 miles in a reasonable amount of time. It can be done with an investment. It was done on a daily basis until 1965 - although the schedule had slipped significantly in later years. You have to maintain the track in a reasonable condition to meet a timetable over 141 miles.
  by Noel Weaver

If this entire line for the most part were to be restored to a point where passenger trains could travel over most of it at
speeds of 40-45 MPH, I think it would be adequate. In 1942 the New York Central could run from Utica to Lake Clear Junction
in roughly 4 hours, one Friday evening train accomplished it in 3 hours and 45 minutes. The top speed on this line at that
time was 45 MPH.
In the spring 1958 timetable the day train made it from Utica to Lake Clear in 3 hours and 45 minutes most likely with a
Budd Car, track speed at this time was 40 or 45 MPH.
Looking at the Adirondack Railway schedule of 1980 I see that they made it from Utica to Lake Clear Junction in from 4 hours
and 25 to 4 hours and 32 minutes.
If the Adirondack Scenic were able to run the full length of this wonderful line I think they could probably come close to the
average times above. Their riders would probably be a combination of people traveling to Saranac Lake and Lake Placid
for vacations or one day trippers in to the mountains. I think 40 - 45 MPH would be adequate for this trip, people riding it
would probably not be in a huge hurry anyway.
I think this has a potential for success if it is done right and I think the Adirondack Scenic would do it right.
Noel Weaver
  by SteelRail

Can you imagine what a trip it would be if the tracks between Utica and Binghamton were repaired/restored? Binghamton to Lake Placid - now that would be a scenic journey!
  by Noel Weaver

SteelRail wrote:Can you imagine what a trip it would be if the tracks between Utica and Binghamton were repaired/restored? Binghamton to Lake Placid - now that would be a scenic journey!
It wouldn't be worth the millions that it would take to accomplish something like this. Question, how would you propose to
deal with CSX on this one too?
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

SteelRail wrote:Can you imagine what a trip it would be if the tracks between Utica and Binghamton were repaired/restored?
No, I cannot imagine something like that happening, and that has nothing to do with the Adirondack Scenic.

Let's please stick to the discussion of the CURRENT or PLANNED operations of the Adirondack Scenic and leave the imagineering out of this.

-otto-
  by goodnightjohnwayne

Noel Weaver wrote:If this entire line for the most part were to be restored to a point where passenger trains could travel over most of it at
speeds of 40-45 MPH, I think it would be adequate. In 1942 the New York Central could run from Utica to Lake Clear Junction
in roughly 4 hours, one Friday evening train accomplished it in 3 hours and 45 minutes. The top speed on this line at that
time was 45 MPH.
In the spring 1958 timetable the day train made it from Utica to Lake Clear in 3 hours and 45 minutes most likely with a
Budd Car, track speed at this time was 40 or 45 MPH.
The 1963 and 1964 timetables show a 5 hour and 10 minute running time between Utica and Lake Placid. Needless to say, track conditions had probably deteriorated long before the cessation of passenger service in the Spring of 1965.
Noel Weaver wrote:Looking at the Adirondack Railway schedule of 1980 I see that they made it from Utica to Lake Clear Junction in from 4 hours
and 25 to 4 hours and 32 minutes.
Well, Lake Clear Junction is the middle of nowhere today. It used to where the track diverged to Malone and Montreal.

Thanks to Otto posting a scan of the timetable, I can state that the failed 1980 operation claimed a 5:15 to 5:25 running time, which on paper looks similar to the old New York Central timetable.

Noel Weaver wrote:If the Adirondack Scenic were able to run the full length of this wonderful line I think they could probably come close to the
average times above.
I think it would be far more interesting to see how long it takes to make the fall and spring equipment moves, under current track conditions. Anecdotes and observation would be more than welcom.

The real question in the long run is how much money would it take to restore the line between Thendera and Saranac Lake to a minimum standard, by which I would suggest that Class II, or a speed limit of 25 MPH for passenger trains, is the absolute minimum.

Noel, your talking about Class III track, which obviously is possible, even with jointed rail.

Noel Weaver wrote: Their riders would probably be a combination of people traveling to Saranac Lake and Lake Placid
for vacations or one day trippers in to the mountains. I think 40 - 45 MPH would be adequate for this trip, people riding it
would probably not be in a huge hurry anyway.
I think this has a potential for success if it is done right and I think the Adirondack Scenic would do it right.
Noel Weaver
Keep in mind that the New York Central was serving a far different market. Many of the people who rode the night train up from New York had "camps" with year-around caretakers who'd meet them at the station. I suspect that the reason why the service lasted so long is that there were a handful of wealthy and influential people who used the sleeper until the bitter end.

Today, I think there is a market for Utica to Lake Placid service, but it would be limited. However, the region is currently underdeveloped due to the inflexible Adirondack Park Agency. There aren't all that many destination, full service resorts in the Adirondacks of the type that you'd expect to see in a mountain region. Because of the APA, many New Yorkers are driving straight to Vermont, New Hampshire and even Maine to vacation.

Conceivably, with the right funding, it might be possible to run a successful seasonal, excursion type service between Utica and Lake Placid. However, a running time of 6 hours would be far more obtainable from the standpoint of a tourist operation. I actually think that a 6 hour running time might even be a little ambitious, even if the track was up to Class II standards all the way.
  by Noel Weaver

Personally I don't think it would be practical to try to do it with just class II trackage. I agree that the track conditions likely went downhill in the 60's. I didn't pull the timetables out, I have some printouts of the old ones put aside because when I went north this year, I wanted to ride Utica - Thendara. The main thing that kept me from doing that was the long layover at Thendara before the return, good for people who wanted to spend a day in the country but not for me who mostly wanted to do it for the ride. Maybe next year I'll consider it again somehow.

Noel Weaver