• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GSC

Anyone on this thread work for the Navy Earle RR? If so, please PM me, as I have a question about someone I know who seeks possible employment. Thanks!
  by ChrisU

Saw the train parked on the pier today 1 SW1200 and 1 VO1000m.
  by RailsEast

Yup, they ran west from the pier last night (5:30pm) and tonight (6:00pm); must be a ship in port.....
  by ChrisU

Yup there was a ship there.
  by ChrisU

Saw the train on the pier but did not see any engines. :(
  by ChrisU

Saw the train leave the pier at about 5:50 2 engines one VO100m number 2 and SW1200 number 6! :-D :-D :-D
Last edited by ChrisU on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by GSC

Although the line runs north and south, is the Earle RR an east-west railroad? If so, east would be the pier?
  by RailsEast

Greetings all,
Let's say a friend has a recent, and very generic, pic of the NWS Earle train, taken from very public property, to share with the railfan community; is it prudent for them to post this pic, or is it best not to, in the interest of national security, and in the interest of the photographer, who wishes not to be hassled by any federal agents?
In other words, is a train just a train, or can it be something else when it involves the military?
I myself have always wondered about this...........thanks!
  by ChrisU

NJtwoM wrote:Greetings all,
Let's say a friend has a recent, and very generic, pic of the NWS Earle train, taken from very public property, to share with the railfan community; is it prudent for them to post this pic, or is it best not to, in the interest of national security, and in the interest of the photographer, who wishes not to be hassled by any federal agents?
In other words, is a train just a train, or can it be something else when it involves the military?
If I had a picture of the Earle train I would keep it to myself.
  by CNJGeep

If it's a strict roster shot (i. e. just the power), then I see no problem with uploading it.
  by Ken W2KB

NJtwoM wrote:Greetings all,
Here's a federal statute. Whether Earle is on the list or not would require further research, but given its munitions including nuclear mission, I suspect that it may well be:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 37 > § 795
(a) Whenever, in the interests of national defense, the President defines certain vital military and naval installations or equipment as requiring protection against the general dissemination of information relative thereto, it shall be unlawful to make any photograph, sketch, picture, drawing, map, or graphical representation of such vital military and naval installations or equipment without first obtaining permission of the commanding officer of the military or naval post, camp, or station, or naval vessels, military and naval aircraft, and any separate military or naval command concerned, or higher authority, and promptly submitting the product obtained to such commanding officer or higher authority for censorship or such other action as he may deem necessary.
(b) Whoever violates this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 37 > § 797
§ 797. Publication and sale of photographs of defense installations
On and after thirty days from the date upon which the President defines any vital military or naval installation or equipment as being within the category contemplated under section 795 of this title, whoever reproduces, publishes, sells, or gives away any photograph, sketch, picture, drawing, map, or graphical representation of the vital military or naval installations or equipment so defined, without first obtaining permission of the commanding officer of the military or naval post, camp, or station concerned, or higher authority, unless such photograph, sketch, picture, drawing, map, or graphical representation has clearly indicated thereon that it has been censored by the proper military or naval authority, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
  by RailsEast

Thanks, Ken, I appreciate your bringing that very informative statute to this particular forum, and I must say, it definitely answers my question! Absolutely, positively not worth the aggravation that could possibly ensue; the few pre-9/11 pics from the pier that are around on the 'net already are good enough for me......
  by Ken W2KB

NJtwoM wrote:Thanks, Ken, I appreciate your bringing that very informative statute to this particular forum, and I must say, it definitely answers my question! Absolutely, positively not worth the aggravation that could possibly ensue; the few pre-9/11 pics from the pier that are around on the 'net already are good enough for me......
It was subsequently brought to my attention that there is some case law that could cast some doubt on the enforceability of the statute. However, I would not want to be in a position (as potential defendant) to explain that to a federal investigator, or volunteer to be the test case to see if the current courts would continue maintain that view. :wink:
  by ChrisU

Saw the train around 3:30pm it left the pier two ships where in and the train had 1 SW900 and 1 SW1200 and 40 and 50ft boxcars as well as flat cars.