• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Earle Baldwin

In the Leonardo complex, there are a number of sidings just west of the entrance to the pier. The switches face east so he was likely going to shove the car into one of these sidings. Several of these sidings form a small yard which is located immediately north of the main line as it ascends to the Route 36 overpass. The yard usually contains a cut of tank cars which can be seen from Route 36. This yard served as the boarding point for the NRHS excursions in May, 1981.

In addition to using tank cars to unload waste from ships, the Earle Railroad also has a potable water train. It consists of three specially equipped tank cars. During the early 80's, I once saw the potable water train on the road behind one of the S12's as it was returning from Leonardo. In addition to these services, I have often wondered if the railroad is used to transport fuel for the ships.

Earle
  by Jtgshu

while i haven't checked/noticed in a few years, but in the yard in Leonardo you could often see the tops of many tank cars parked in it from various street dead ends in Leonardo (namely Bay, Burlington, and Monmouth Aves). You can't see much of the yard, because of the fill of the main tracks, and the yard is on the other side, but you can see the tops of some cars parked there.
  by ChrisU

The top of the car was orange. Those cars are still there I have never seen them move and I go by them on 36 almost everyday.
  by ChrisU

Thanks the tank car was definatley not from the water train it was just one of their regular old tank cars.
  by GSC

Sure is a unique look for the potable water train. I presume the shed on the last car is a pumping station?
  by Earle Baldwin

Yes, that is the pumphouse. Even though they look like tank cars, the potable water cars may actually be classified as flat cars with tanks mounted on them.

They have been having some trouble with the Nut Swamp Road grade crossing protection the past few evenings. On Wednesday night, the Sea Police were directing traffic as the flashers and gates kept turning on and off. Last night, there were electricians working on the cabinet.
  by Jtgshu

Earle Baldwin wrote:Yes, that is the pumphouse. Even though they look like tank cars, the potable water cars may actually be classified as flat cars with tanks mounted on them.

They have been having some trouble with the Nut Swamp Road grade crossing protection the past few evenings. On Wednesday night, the Sea Police were directing traffic as the flashers and gates kept turning on and off. Last night, there were electricians working on the cabinet.
Not just Nut Swamp, Ive heard a few problems on the police scanner at Kings Highway as well.
  by philipmartin

There is also a section of 34 that is patrolled by Federal cops, and if you get caught speeding there by them you have to go before a federal judge. Speaking of Earle and their law enforcement.
Brandon Kaback
What are Federal cops? I'm curious. I've never heard of them before.
  by Jtgshu

philipmartin wrote:
There is also a section of 34 that is patrolled by Federal cops, and if you get caught speeding there by them you have to go before a federal judge. Speaking of Earle and their law enforcement.
Brandon Kaback
What are Federal cops? I'm curious. I've never heard of them before.
US Navy Police - they have their own police cars and everything! They often patrol Normandie Road as well, and do deal with Route 34, as well as Route 18 I believe, because I saw a USN PD car with a local PD car with someone pulled over on 18 South in the area that goes through/borders Earle. Don't wanna mess with them!

I used to go riding my quad and dirtbike in Tinton Falls along the Southern Secondary and in various pits back there behind the dump and there is a stretch that goes through Earle, and even under the bridge that carries Asbury Ave over the tracks (but on Earle property) Earle was securely fenced in, and they would sometimes sit on the overhead bridge and watch us, but never bothered us...we would ride along the tracks up to Stavolas plant by Route 18 :) Good times good times
  by ChrisU

Does anyone have any pictures of the Earle Vo660s I think they where their first locomotives and does anyone know the numbers? I have searched for them but nothing has come up. Thanks.
  by philipmartin

US Navy Police -
Very interesting, especially since I am in the area.
  by NY&LB

Fort Monmouth police have authority outside the fence line of Fort Monmouth as well, notable areas are Hope Road, Pine Brook Road, Maxwell St, the south side of Tinton Ave and Oceanport Ave. Basically the public streets that border the base areas. In general, they are much stricter than the local police, especially with the posted speed limits.
  by OportRailfan

NY&LB wrote:Fort Monmouth police have authority outside the fence line of Fort Monmouth as well, notable areas are Hope Road, Pine Brook Road, Maxwell St, the south side of Tinton Ave and Oceanport Ave. Basically the public streets that border the base areas. In general, they are much stricter than the local police, especially with the posted speed limits.
Yeah, Main St. in Oceanport as well...I believe you have to go to court in Newark or something...