• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Earle Baldwin

Judging by their sound, I believe Earle's SW1200's and VO1000M's are equipped with the Nathan Old Cast P-3.
  by ChrisU

Thanks.
  by Earle Baldwin

On Friday, I saw a hi-rail truck running on the westbound track while passing over the railroad on the GSP bridge. It was raining hard so I didn't get a chance to take note of the color or any lettering on the vehicle.
  by RailsEast

Railroad Construction Co. has been contracted to do some pretty extensive brush/tree cutting. Thay have been working on the right of way that runs parallel to Sleepy Hollow Rd (right at the Kings Hwy East grade crossing) in Middletown for the past few days. Several hi-rail vehicles were present, large & small, complete with wood chipper.
  by ChrisU

I heard horns from them last night!
  by southern sec. kid

i live about 2 miles from the collingswood auction and at least 2 times a week i can hear them going crazy on the horn on their interchange track
  by E-44

I'm not seeimg any more loads of rails being delivered on Rt. 18, but saw two Railroad Construction Co. flatbeds carrying ties going south on Wednesday. The centers of the ties were lighter in color than the sides. Wonder if they're trying those plastic/composite ties down there?
  by ChrisU

Saw the Navy train on the pier today.
  by Earle Baldwin

One or two units?

Thanks.
  by RailsEast

Two units; an SW1200 & an S12, coupled nose to nose. I caught the train returning to Colts Neck from Portside at the Kings Hwy East grade crossing in Middletown at 6:25 this evening, with about 20 boxcars trailing.
I've lived in Monmouth County for all of my 49 years, and this is only the second time I have ever encountered this train up-close! They went west on Monday evening at about the same time also, heard the horns as I pulled in the driveway, but knew I couldn't catch up at that point.......
  by Earle Baldwin

I stopped by the marina in Leonardo on my trip home last night. I enjoyed watching the units put their train together and then pull off the pier with a 25 car consist. Power was an SW1200 and VO1000 coupled front to front. I appreciate the sounds of railroading as much as the sights so I was impressed at how hard the units had to work to ascend the brief but severe grade to the bridge which carries the railroad over Route 36. Those prime movers drowned out all other surrounding sounds. He was working the horn pretty loudly as well!

Bayside in Leonardo is a nice place. You can watch trains, boats, fisherman and enjoy the fresh sea air with the skylines of Manhattan and Brooklyn as a backdrop.
  by Jtgshu

Earle Baldwin wrote:I stopped by the marina in Leonardo on my trip home last night. I enjoyed watching the units put their train together and then pull off the pier with a 25 car consist. Power was an SW1200 and VO1000 coupled front to front. I appreciate the sounds of railroading as much as the sights so I was impressed at how hard the units had to work to ascend the brief but severe grade to the bridge which carries the railroad over Route 36. Those prime movers drowned out all other surrounding sounds. He was working the horn pretty loudly as well!

Bayside in Leonardo is a nice place. You can watch trains, boats, fisherman and enjoy the fresh sea air with the skylines of Manhattan and Brooklyn as a backdrop.
Indeed it is a lovely place - and the people here are so nice :) hahhaha
  by ChrisU

Saw the train yesterday leaving the pier around 4:00 PM. The consist was a Tank car, a repowered VO1000, an SW1200, and about 15-16 box cars.

Does anyone know why it would be shoving a tank car?
  by Jtgshu

NJTArrow2 wrote:Saw the train yesterday leaving the pier around 4:00 PM. The consist was a Tank car, a repowered VO1000, an SW1200, and about 15-16 box cars.

Train ran this AM out to the pier, about 530am - the cold in the air made the horn sound REALLY loud (and the eng was really on it) and the drone of the EMDs pulling what sounded like a relatively heavy load was nice to hear :)
  by Ken W2KB

NJTArrow2 wrote:Saw the train yesterday leaving the pier around 4:00 PM. The consist was a Tank car, a repowered VO1000, an SW1200, and about 15-16 box cars.

I have been told that tank cars are sometimes used to transport liquid wastes from ships to a disposal/processing facility. Can't vouch for that as a fact, though.