• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JimBoylan

Ken is what you quoted United States Code or Code of Federal Regulations?
The critters who write the code and appoint the bosses of the people who write the regulations are mostly running for reelection this season, and asking for my endorsement. (I'm also a politician.) Of course, the one who defines what needs protection has about 2 more years until his next "release hearing". Has any installation been defined? Is anything noted on warning signs at Earle or elsewhere that the public might see?
I'll also ask questions elsewhere, and report back.
  by SemperFidelis

I can only imagine what the response would be, but one could probably inquire from the United States Marines who protect the movements what sorts of orders they have been issued concerning photography of the trains. If the orders aren't restricted, and one were to follow the proper lines of commuinication and not go calling around the chain of command or approaching the Marines on duty in an odd manner, they or the folks issuing the orders would probably be willing to offer very frank clarification.
  by ChrisU

Saw the train on the pier I don't know when it left but it left sometime between 3:30 and 4:30 same engines as monday.
  by Ken W2KB

JimBoylan wrote:Ken is what you quoted United States Code or Code of Federal Regulations?
The critters who write the code and appoint the bosses of the people who write the regulations are mostly running for reelection this season, and asking for my endorsement. (I'm also a politician.) Of course, the one who defines what needs protection has about 2 more years until his next "release hearing". Has any installation been defined? Is anything noted on warning signs at Earle or elsewhere that the public might see?
I'll also ask questions elsewhere, and report back.
Jim, its a statute (i.e., USC, not a regulation) Can't answer your other questions.
  by Jtgshu

I heard a train heading south from Leonardo about 330pm - the engineer apparnetly liked to play with the horn as it was constantly going, and it was a differnet sounding horn, I never heard or noticed that particular sound before, it sounded REALLY good!
  by RailsEast

I don't know how many here are rock music fans, but I equate a navy rr grade crossing experience to 30 seconds of a KISS concert; lots of flashing lights, lots of commotion, LOTS of noise (horns/MP vehicle sirens); a truly unique event!
  by southern sec. kid

NJtwoM wrote:I don't know how many here are rock music fans, but I equate a navy rr grade crossing experience to 30 seconds of a KISS concert; lots of flashing lights, lots of commotion, LOTS of noise (horns/MP vehicle sirens); a truly unique event!
Love kiss i saw them in 2003 with Aerosmith great concert but cruefest is the best show ive been too. But when you have any crossing that when the gates go down 2 minuutes before a train comes through theres always commotion!
  by GSC

NJtwoM wrote:I don't know how many here are rock music fans, but I equate a navy rr grade crossing experience to 30 seconds of a KISS concert; lots of flashing lights, lots of commotion, LOTS of noise (horns/MP vehicle sirens); a truly unique event!
I did house lights at Asbury Park's Convention Hall for KISS back in the 70s. I can appreciate this quote! (Just need some fireworks)
  by CJPat

I somehow think merging fireworks with this particular train would not be a popular idea. :P
  by Jtgshu

CJPat wrote:I somehow think merging fireworks with this particular train would not be a popular idea. :P
HAHAHAHA very true very true!
  by ChrisU

Saw the train leave the pier again and same consist around 3:15 it left a whole string of boxcars and it only took two with it does anyone know why it would do that?
  by CJPat

Very well could be leaving the string behind because it takes a while to unload (or load up if a ship is discharging). The two cars that went back were probably empties that they use as protect cars as a buffer between the engine and the loaded munition cars to buy a little time if there is a fire within the string.

The two cars could have been left overs from a special delivery that needed pick up and return to the staging area for the next load out.

There could be a number of various scenarios. I doubt you are going to find anyone that will openly discuss how the railroad actually functions on a public bulletin board like RR.Net.
  by ChrisU

Thanks the cars where not dropped off by the ship though they where left on the pier at far left where there is no ship. At about 6:22 I heard a horn that sounded like the navy train, could be returning to pick up empties but I am not sure.
  by Jtgshu

NJTArrow2 wrote:Saw the train leave the pier again and same consist around 3:15 it left a whole string of boxcars and it only took two with it does anyone know why it would do that?
I was heading west on Route 36 in Leonardo and I caught a glimpse of the train zooming over the highway - it was moving at a good clip...I have actually never seen a train move that fast on the line (had to be at least 25mph) so it was probably empties. As I understand it, most times, empties move south from the ships, loads north to the ships
  by Earle Baldwin

NJTArrow2:

When you saw the pair of SW units the other day, were they MU'd back to back (cab to cab)?

Thanks.