• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:1. I also looked at Page 53. How are you able to understand that diagram? I am not able to fully read it.

2. Are you saying than that bottom of the tunnel box will then be about 63 feet below 11th avenue since the box is supposed to be 18 feet tall?
The diagrams are the different options, with each illustration being a cross section from different areas along the length of the project area. There's even a diagram showing the location of each cross section.
  by Thomas

Which tunnel alignment will Amtrak construct? Also, how will the 90 foot bulkhead next to the Hudson River affect future boring for the Gateway Project?
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:Which tunnel alignment will Amtrak construct? Also, how will the 90 foot bulkhead next to the Hudson River affect future boring for the Gateway Project?
If you're talking about the tunnel box, there is only one alignment, but three alternatives with regard to the tunnel box-overbuild interface and load carrying options. Alternate 1, Option 1 is the preferred alternative.

See my post in the Gateway Tunnel thread about the bulkhead.
  by 25Hz

Don31 wrote:
Thomas wrote:Which tunnel alignment will Amtrak construct? Also, how will the 90 foot bulkhead next to the Hudson River affect future boring for the Gateway Project?
If you're talking about the tunnel box, there is only one alignment, but three alternatives with regard to the tunnel box-overbuild interface and load carrying options. Alternate 1, Option 1 is the preferred alternative.

So they want to do a single concrete "shotgun"?
  by Thomas

What is a single concrete "shotgun"?
  by Don31

25Hz wrote:
Don31 wrote:

So they want to do a single concrete "shotgun"?
Whats a "shotgun"?
  by Don31

25Hz wrote:http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... b6e85c.jpg

Shotgun?
Gotcha. That must be a technical term. I just call it a two-cell reinforced concrete cut-and-cover tunnel.
  by 25Hz

Don31 wrote:

Shotgun?
Gotcha. That must be a technical term. I just call it a two-cell reinforced concrete cut-and-cover tunnel.
I guess i was asking if the preferred alternative was going to be solid concrete vs some sort of multi-part assemblage.
  by Thomas

Can we all agree that the bulkhead issue of the Project will get solved? Also, Amtrak claims that the tunnel box will take until fy2016 to completed. But I thought I remembered reading in the Environmental Assessment that the tunnel box should get completed in Fall, 2014...
  by Don31

25Hz wrote:
Don31 wrote:

Shotgun?
I guess i was asking if the preferred alternative was going to be solid concrete vs some sort of multi-part assemblage.
Solid concrete
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:Can we all agree that the bulkhead issue of the Project will get solved? Also, Amtrak claims that the tunnel box will take until fy2016 to completed. But I thought I remembered reading in the Environmental Assessment that the tunnel box should get completed in Fall, 2014...
I was just working with the schedule today. Preliminary work should start next month, with the project being completed in Summer 2015
  by Thomas

But will the tunnel box be completed by Fall, 2014? Also, do you know any other engineering studies being done to figure out how to best design Gateway, such as the new trans-hudson tunnels or what part of ARC can be used?
  by 25Hz

Perhaps a mod could look into merging this thread with the main gateway project thread?

There are 3 phases to this whole thing, the tunnels being the last phase, and this being a sort of "place holder" to simply ease construction when time for the final phase.
  by Backshophoss

Hopefully Amtrak has the construction records (or a copy)of the orignal build that PRR did,could follow the same general plan
of the orignal tunnels as far as grades and how deep to build it. Some where in those records is how PRR dealt with the Bulkhead.
What little of Yard "A" that is left will disappear when the "Box" is built.
The Fan Room for the east end of the new tunnels will be built at the same time as the "Box".