• Troubles on the Lake State RR

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by gprimr1

I've seen worse, on a CSX branch in Maryland. Some of the pics the track looks exceptable, the one with the track all warped looking, looks to be yard trackage.
What branch was that exactly?

by NS212

It was a branch in or around Hagerstown. They have a local that goes up and back with a bunch of scrap metal loads and empties. A friend of mine showed me pics of the track itself and it looked to be quite a crazy ride. I believe they had a derailment on it about a year or two ago and they replaced some of that warped track and it looks much better than it did. I cannot remember the name of the branch but I will find out and try to get the pics from him.

Kevin

by Engineer James

Ok, That is hands down bad. Almost looks as bad as the LSRC trackage.

by pablo

James, that looks nothing like that yard trackage...it looks far far worse. Is teher another picture of the Lake State that shows it's that bad?

Dave Becker

by GOLDEN-ARM

I saw no real problems with Jimmys' linked pictures. A telephoto lens, will exaggerate the flaws, in any rail. Taking the same photo, with a "regular" lens, would probably not even make the low joints visible. Looking at a single rail, and guessing it's 33' long, you see only a few low joints, not "weird" distortions. Those big Alcos seem to be riding the rails, not the ballast, so it must be just fine. Not the time to panic yet, Jimmy. Laying on the ground, with a telephoto, would make most jointed rail look rough, yard tracks, and industrial trackage even more so. The tracks are inspected, and maintained, to FRA standards, so again...... chill-out :P

by Engineer James

Yes sir. :-D