• Railroad Fare Collection

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Matthew Mitchell

bikentransit wrote:I didn't ask how cheap (or expensive) it was either, I just was curious if there's a breakdown of city vs. railroad. Are the numbers out there?
I don't think there are more specific cost numbers yet. I'm hoping there will be later this month.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Silverliner II wrote:They may as well go POP for Regional Rail and install TVM's at all stations.
True POP would be the most cost-effective choice (assuming it is implemented properly), but it is politically out of the question at this time. Elected officials and SEPTA managers are mortally afraid that there would be rampant fare evasion.

A self-service fare system, where there is a (virtually) 100% inspection rate and TVMs at all stations, is as close as you'll get at this time, and that only as long as the elected officials and other people influencing the decision understand the distinction between that and POP.
  by Silverliner II

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:They may as well go POP for Regional Rail and install TVM's at all stations.
True POP would be the most cost-effective choice (assuming it is implemented properly), but it is politically out of the question at this time. Elected officials and SEPTA managers are mortally afraid that there would be rampant fare evasion.
The concept of enforcement is an unknown to them. Especially since the rank and file don't get backed up from higher up when trying to enforce current occasional fare evaders on the system....
  by alewifebp

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:A self-service fare system, where there is a (virtually) 100% inspection rate and TVMs at all stations, is as close as you'll get at this time, and that only as long as the elected officials and other people influencing the decision understand the distinction between that and POP.
Which pretty much sounds like the current system, except conductors can actually collect tickets from passengers and not have to slowly punch out new ones and collect money. Just like NJT, MNR and LIRR do right now.
  by Tritransit Area

alewifebp wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:A self-service fare system, where there is a (virtually) 100% inspection rate and TVMs at all stations, is as close as you'll get at this time, and that only as long as the elected officials and other people influencing the decision understand the distinction between that and POP.
Which pretty much sounds like the current system, except conductors can actually collect tickets from passengers and not have to slowly punch out new ones and collect money. Just like NJT, MNR and LIRR do right now.
This system makes sense...the problem is that they are being cheap and are doing their best to avoid putting TVMs at all stations. The downside is that conductors likely won't be able to write citations, but can easily charge a step up charge...maybe higher than the $2 of yesteryear if they buy a ticket.

Frankly, I think a large amount of "cash payers" on the train would be willing to use an easy to understand machine to buy tickets than have to bring cash on the train.
  by askclifford

I don't agree with Septa's NPT. I'm a big fan of DC Metro's PT. Keep a flat fare on Subway Systems, call it Zone 1. Don't install turnstiles at Zone 1 Regional Rail Stations, or make any confusing procedure for Zones 2-4. Give the conductor a magnetic scanner for all stations, and just keep it simple. BTW, I want one of Septa's old subway turnstiles!
  by zebrasepta

http://planphilly.com/septa-evaluates-d ... rd-options
SEPTA examined three different alternatives: a one-way fare collection system, in which inbound trips would be free and riders would pay double on outbound trips; a two-way fare collection system; and an alternative system that would involve the installation of ticket vending machines at each regional rail station.

In the first two scenarios, fare collection would vary by zones, with some riders required to validate their fares by touching their farecards to verifying machines located at stations. The last scenario, being pushed by the Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passengers, would involve the printing of tickets at regional rail stations much like what occurs on New Jersey Transit or the Long Island Railroad.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Hi everyone: we have some updates and new documents posted over at our NPT website. [ http://www.dvarp.org/NPT ] Lots of answers for you there, including a table comparing the one-direction fare, turnstile, and TVM options. Comments and questions always welcome at [email protected]
  by scotty269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Hi everyone: we have some updates and new documents posted over at our NPT website. [ http://www.dvarp.org/NPT ] Lots of answers for you there, including a table comparing the one-direction fare, turnstile, and TVM options. Comments and questions always welcome at [email protected]
Also, Mr. Mitchell will be speaking at the upcoming CAC Transit and Rail subcommittee meetings! Check out their website for the complete schedule - www.septa.org/partners/cac. He will be speaking on the issues of the NPT fare collection.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Thanks for the invitation, Scotty. Meanwhile, I'll be glad to answer questions here. Ask away--it will identify more questions we should answer on the web site.
  by scotty269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Thanks for the invitation, Scotty. Meanwhile, I'll be glad to answer questions here. Ask away--it will identify more questions we should answer on the web site.
The more the merrier! You looked like a kid in a candy shop when they mentioned to you last night about coming to the meetings.
  by askclifford

Heres my solution:

Regional Rail:
-Install Ticket Vending Machines at all stations
-Utilize a Single Trip Magnetic Card/SmartCard system like DART First State (Delaware Bus & Rail) and DC Metro.
-Give Conductors a Scanner

Bus/Trolley:
Allow for all modes of payment including cash

Subway:
Allow for payment using single use magnetic strip cards and smartcards

I know lots of people on this forum don't like making RR more like a bus, but we have to allow for transfer between the systems.
  by scotty269

Let's just put rubber wheels on the V's while we're at it.
  by askclifford

Lol, yea. The mannerism of the employees in the Railway Division, Quality of Service, Speed, Cleanliness, and Comfort are the qualities that will always distinguish the Railway Division from City Transit, but we have to provide a way to transfer to the subway and busses. Sometimes a Center City commuters office is 8 blocks away from a Regional Rail station, but shares a bus or subway route, or a inexperienced rich Main Line family wants to get from Strafford (or any other wealthy rr station) to the stadiums, and has no idea on how to make that transfer. We need to make our system as convenient as possible, so we need a standard fare.
  by scotty269

askclifford wrote:Lol, yea. The mannerism of the employees in the Railway Division, Quality of Service, Speed, Cleanliness, and Comfort are the qualities that will always distinguish the Railway Division from City Transit, but we have to provide a way to transfer to the subway and busses. Sometimes a Center City commuters office is 8 blocks away from a Regional Rail station, but shares a bus or subway route, or a inexperienced rich Main Line family wants to get from Strafford (or any other wealthy rr station) to the stadiums, and has no idea on how to make that transfer. We need to make our system as convenient as possible, so we need a standard fare.
We are going to have a standard fare. It's called a smart card.