• Railfanning on The MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC 1116

I was just currious what people would say for some nice places to go on the MBTA and get some good photos of different trains, subways even busses on the system. With the warmer weather ooo so close arround the corner, I want to get out and start taking some good shots with my digital camera. Any suggestions?

by Reddy Rocker

First, I suggest going to 10 Park Plaza and obtain a Photo Permit, if they still allow it.

After that, practically anywhere on the T is fair game, provided these places are commuter accessible. Also, no flashes, monopods or tripods allowed. Also, as for all those people you see that are using cameras on the property, especially those using flashes, should involve "seeing something and saying something" as those people are breaking the rules of the T.

by CSX Conductor

Taking photos of the subway and trolleys is hard sometimes because you are very likely to be questioned. I would suggest going to various spots and getting one or two shots from each station/location from different angles and then moving on. Beachmont on the Blue Line can be good. On the Orange Line, maybe the end of the Green Street platform, or the inbound end of Ruggles. Red Line possibly the south end of Savin Hill. Mostly all of the Mattapan Line stations can provide good shots except for Ashmont and Milton. The Green Line has too many spots to mention at street level, especially lines other than the D.

by Robert Paniagua

The Braintree Red Line is another place to get photos/videos. Remember, like ReddyRocker said, I also have to add that if you have to use a video camera, you can't use the floodlights it comes with, so keep that in mind, and also, you can create a video of the entire Red Line length like I did some years ago from Alewife to Braintree if you sit up front.

Hope you enjoy and don't be intimidated by MBTA crews.

by GP40MC 1116

All im using is a Cannon Power Shot A60 2.0 Mega Pixel.. Nothing Special but comes out prety nice. It's just me but ive faired alot better chasing the Commuter Rail on the North Side and Amtrak Downeaster and ive never gotten questioned on that part, basically a nice horn or a wave is the reply's i get from the crews

by GP40MC 1116

If i stick above ground, should i be more all set, thus taking photos from public property i dont' see what a problem that would be?

by Otto Vondrak

The photo permit is definitely still issued. Who said it wasn't?

The photo permit is REQUIRED if you are photographing T equipment from T property. T property includes station platforms (including those medians on the Green Line). If you are not on T property, no photo permit is required. The photo permit is obtained from Customer Service, it is free, and it lasts for one month. You have to apply for it a week ahead of time, and you need to pick it up in person.

Let's stop spreading rumors and keep the story straight.

-otto-

by mattster

Do you apply for the permit upstairs in the Mass Transportation Building? I go in there quite often to use Bank of America or to eat and I always see a sign posted that says photo ID required beyond the escalators. I've always assumed that only employees were allowed up there.

by GP40MC 1116

Otto Vondrak wrote:The photo permit is definitely still issued. Who said it wasn't?

The photo permit is REQUIRED if you are photographing T equipment from T property. T property includes station platforms (including those medians on the Green Line). If you are not on T property, no photo permit is required. The photo permit is obtained from Customer Service, it is free, and it lasts for one month. You have to apply for it a week ahead of time, and you need to pick it up in person.

Let's stop spreading rumors and keep the story straight.

-otto-

Otto you are correct, but I think what people were trying to get out, (not sure if it was said) is that the MBTA photo permit process is alot harder than it used to be. I remember a few years back, just going up to the marketing dept on any workday and getting it right their no questions asked, this was even after 9/11. But the whole process now is changed alot than what some of us were used too, but with that said.. what you stated was the correct info, thanks for that!
Last edited by GP40MC 1116 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by octr202

mattster wrote:Do you apply for the permit upstairs in the Mass Transportation Building? I go in there quite often to use Bank of America or to eat and I always see a sign posted that says photo ID required beyond the escalators. I've always assumed that only employees were allowed up there.
If you are going to an office in the building, you will need to know what room and agency you are going to. You will need to show photo ID (such as a drivers license) at the desk at the top of the escalator on the second floor.

by GP40MC 1116

mattster wrote:Do you apply for the permit upstairs in the Mass Transportation Building? I go in there quite often to use Bank of America or to eat and I always see a sign posted that says photo ID required beyond the escalators. I've always assumed that only employees were allowed up there.

You go all the way up like trying to get to the Transit library. Then their is a security checkpoint where you get a visitor badge and then you head for the next set of elevators and im not sure what floor it's on, but you come out of the elevator bank and take a right, and it's down the hallway on your right, someone usually is in their and is very helpful

by GP40MC 1116

I just e-mailed the MBTA and requested they contact me back to answer my question, when I do hear from them I will post their responce on RR.net so were all clear and can enjoy some nice railfanning on the MBTA

by CSX Conductor

Otto Vondrak wrote:The photo permit is REQUIRED if you are photographing T equipment from T property.
Well, I guess I should have been locked-up alot....especially in the early 1990's, LOL. :P

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:The photo permit is REQUIRED if you are photographing T equipment from T property.
Well, I guess I should have been locked-up alot....especially in the early 1990's, LOL. :P

Nah CSX, your no criminal!

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I know :-) I've taken some on T property myself, and never had a problem. I'm always careful and look around for T staff before I take pictures, since I don't want MBTA crews to see me taking shots/videos