• Railfanning on The MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Thanks CSX, i know your damn good on the Rail side of stuff, meaning CSX and MBTA, can you fill me in on some spots im more looking for some nice commuter rail photos and a Amtrak Downeaster here and their since this is MBTA Rail Opperations, any ideas for the Commuter Rail?

I think you should do the Old Colony lines, since they are fairly new, and they are worthy of being pictured, so that's a suggesstion.

by CSX Conductor

GP40MC 1116, for Amtrak's Downeaster and MBTA commuter trains, go to West Medford on the Lowell Line, which is the line the Downeaster uses between Wilmington & Boston. It's the first stop from North Station and there is also an MBTA bus route which crosses the tracks at the station. I'm sorry but I do not recall which route is it, I think it's the 95 bus, but not sure. A cool thing about this stop is that it is one of the very rare locations which have a crossing tender on duty. :wink: The way they re-configured Wilmington station where the Wildcat Branch joins the Lowell Line is good for shots of the Downeaster entering and exiting the Wildcat Branch, although I haven't done any photography in more than ten years,lol.

by Ron Newman

The #94 bus (Davis Sq - Medford Sq) crosses the tracks at West Medford.

The #95 bus (Sullivan - West Medford) comes up to the crossing, then turns right instead of going across. Same for some, but not all, runs of the #326 express bus (Haymarket-West Medford).

The #80 bus (Lechmere-Arlington Ctr) comes within a block of the grade crossing, but doesn't actually cross it. Get off at the corner of Boston Avenue and Harvard Avenue and walk north on Harvard Avenue.

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:GP40MC 1116, for Amtrak's Downeaster and MBTA commuter trains, go to West Medford on the Lowell Line, which is the line the Downeaster uses between Wilmington & Boston. It's the first stop from North Station and there is also an MBTA bus route which crosses the tracks at the station. I'm sorry but I do not recall which route is it, I think it's the 95 bus, but not sure. A cool thing about this stop is that it is one of the very rare locations which have a crossing tender on duty. :wink: The way they re-configured Wilmington station where the Wildcat Branch joins the Lowell Line is good for shots of the Downeaster entering and exiting the Wildcat Branch, although I haven't done any photography in more than ten years,lol.
Thnaks CSX those are some good suggestions.. I think this Friday I am meeting a friend out in Worcester, MA to take some shots out their. Speaking of the MBTA i e-mailed them almost a week ago and no reply, not too fast ehh

by CSX Conductor

E-mailed them about what? If about the photo permit I would suggest just going in person.

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:E-mailed them about what? If about the photo permit I would suggest just going in person.
This is true.. good idea thanks CSX. just wondering.. What part or lines for CSX do you work at.. Boston Area or?

by CSX Conductor

I just think that especially since the MBTA is in the "Post 9-11" paranoiah mode that seeking the permit in person may help expedite it instead of them be afraid to issue it to someone who doesn't show their face.

by GP40MC 1116

Got this e-mail this morning....

Dear Customer:

On behalf of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA),
thank you for your recent email communication requesting an application
for a photo permit.

Please know that all information submitted will undergo the security
clearance process by the MBTA Police which can take up to two weeks for
processing. You will be notified when you have been granted security
clearance and will be informed as to when to appear in person at the
Marketing Communications Department, 10 Park Plaza, Suite 6720, Boston,
Massachusetts, where you can pick up your photo permit.

At this time we ask you to provide one positive form of government
identification, (i.e. driver's license or passport), and one other form
of identification (i.e. credit card, social security card, or library
card) in order to further complete this investigation.

Please fill out the attached Photo Permit Request form and e-mail it to
the above e-mail address. If you require additional information
regarding the Photo Permit program, please contact the Customer
Relations Department at (617) 222-5215 to speak with a Customer
Relations Representative.

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, I'm glad they got back to you Bernie. I'll have to write to them, and see if I get pre-approved for a photo pass.

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:GP40MC 1116, for Amtrak's Downeaster and MBTA commuter trains, go to West Medford on the Lowell Line, which is the line the Downeaster uses between Wilmington & Boston. It's the first stop from North Station and there is also an MBTA bus route which crosses the tracks at the station. I'm sorry but I do not recall which route is it, I think it's the 95 bus, but not sure. A cool thing about this stop is that it is one of the very rare locations which have a crossing tender on duty. :wink: The way they re-configured Wilmington station where the Wildcat Branch joins the Lowell Line is good for shots of the Downeaster entering and exiting the Wildcat Branch, although I haven't done any photography in more than ten years,lol.

Any other ideas, hows Haverhill line for anyone have suggestions what I can do on that?

by Otto Vondrak

Applying for the photo permit in person will do nothing to expedite the process. The police will need your application to do your background check, which will take up to 10 days to complete. If e-mail is too slow, simply telephone customer service and have them mail you an application.

You still need to pick up the permit in person.

-otto-

by GP40MC 1116

Otto Vondrak wrote:Applying for the photo permit in person will do nothing to expedite the process. The police will need your application to do your background check, which will take up to 10 days to complete. If e-mail is too slow, simply telephone customer service and have them mail you an application.

You still need to pick up the permit in person.

-otto-
already got the photo permit application from them via e-mail. As insturcted just need to go fill it out e-mail it back and then when notified go pick it up at Park Plaza