• Railfanning on The MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC 1116

Ive taken a few myself, once had a blue line opperator yell at me, all i did was flash the permit.. and he shut up really quickly :-D

by Otto Vondrak

Simply write to Customer Service and they will e-mail you an application, that you fax back or mail back to them. Then within a few days you get your confirmation. Then you go to the office and pick up your permit.

I find that I save a lot of grief by wearing the permit around my neck whenever I am out taking pictures. The operators and inspectors see the yellow card and dont even bother you!

-otto-

by GP40MC 1116

Otto Vondrak wrote:Simply write to Customer Service and they will e-mail you an application, that you fax back or mail back to them. Then within a few days you get your confirmation. Then you go to the office and pick up your permit.

I find that I save a lot of grief by wearing the permit around my neck whenever I am out taking pictures. The operators and inspectors see the yellow card and dont even bother you!

-otto-

Otto:

Any idea how long it is valid for?

by Reddy Rocker

Last time I had one they lasted three months. It may have changed, it may not have.

by Otto Vondrak

As I said before, it's good for a month- system wide.

-otto-

by RailBus63

Otto Vondrak wrote:I find that I save a lot of grief by wearing the permit around my neck whenever I am out taking pictures. The operators and inspectors see the yellow card and dont even bother you!
That’s a great idea!

By all means, get the permit – it answers any and all questions from employees and police officers.

As for good places to take photos, subway photos can be difficult on the Red and Orange lines due to the fact that six-car trains fill up the entire platform. I’ll include a few of my favorite stations on the list in case you have a camera fast enough to capture trains in motion.

Some of my favorite places include:

RED LINE (Rapid transit) – Central, Charles/MGH, Park Street, Savin Hill, Ashmont (before they start reconstruction this year), Wollaston.

RED LINE (High-Speed Line trolleys) – Any station is good, but Ashmont, Milton and Capen Street are my favorites. Be careful around Ashmont and Mattapan.

ORNAGE LINE – The least interesting of the rapid transit lines – good shots can be had at Malden Center, State southbound, and Ruggles (you can get the Hancock Building in the background when shooting southbound trains from the south end of the platform). Be careful at any stations south of Ruggles.

BLUE LINE – Bowdoin, Aquarium (great shots!), Wood Island, Suffolk Downs and Beachmont.

GREEN LINE –Science Park, North Station, Park Street and Hynes-ICA are my favorites in the Central Subway. On the street, I’d go to Warren Street and Packard’s Corner on the B line; Cleveland Circle, Coolidge Corner and St. Mary’s St. on the C line; Longwood, Brookline Hills and Newton Center on the D line, and Brigham Circle and the corner of Huntington and South Huntington Aves. on the E line.

BUS AND TRACKLESS TROLLEYS – Cambridge Commons adjacent to the north portal of the Harvard Square bus tunnel is an awesome place to get bus and trackless trolley photos – you’ll see just about every type of bus the MBTA operates there except the articulateds. Afternoons are best. Other north side locations – Haymarket, Bellingham Square in Chelsea, Malden Center, and the new train station in Central Square, Lynn. South side – Quincy Center, Ashmont, Dudley (be careful!). Forest Hills and Ruggles are both good in the afternoon.

Have fun!

Jim

by CSX Conductor

RailBus63 wrote:ORNAGE LINE – Ruggles (you can get the Hancock Building in the background when shooting southbound trains from the south end of the platform). Be careful at any stations south of Ruggles.
If you are at the South end of the Ruggles platform you would be unable to see the Boston skyline, the North end is outside and will give you the Hancock in the background. Also, Railbus seems either parahnoid or racist when saying "Be careful at stations south of Ruggles" and "Be careful around Asmont & Mattapan". Just have to have a little bit of street smarts and one will be fine in those areas. :-)

by CSX Conductor

Another couple of spots for the Orange Line and commuter rail are:

Ruggles Street commuter rail platform at the North end (towards the city).

Stony Brook Station facing the city used to be good, not sure how the windows are nowadays.

Forest Hills: It's a bit of a walk, but good view of the corridor. Walk over the Rte.203 overpass on the pedestrian walkway. Unfortunately I beleive the walkway is on only the south side, which would only allow for shots of the station. If there is one on the north side you can get the Orange Line and Commuter Rail and the old Arborway Yard. To get on the overpass exit the Forest Hills station following the signs for the Arnold Arboretum and follow the bridge. This is shorter than going to the other end. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah I know :-) I've taken some on T property myself, and never had a problem. I'm always careful and look around for T staff before I take pictures, since I don't want MBTA crews to see me taking shots/videos
Speaking of sneaking shots with no personnel around, I believe the avatar that Reddy made for you last year of the 01400 set at Braintree was one of mine that I had posted on NERAIL, but I won't sue you for copyright infringement, LOL. :wink:

by Ron Newman

There are sidewalks on both sides of that Forest Hills overpass.

by CSX Conductor

Thanks Ron, it's been at least 15 years since I've been up there. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

CSX Conductor wrote:Speaking of sneaking shots with no personnel around, I believe the avatar that Reddy made for you last year of the 01400 set at Braintree was one of mine that I had posted on NERAIL, but I won't sue you for copyright infringement, LOL. :wink:
Ok, although I paid no attention to it, and now I just got a historical 01600 shot taken in 1980 at Columbia (now JFK/UMASS) station.

Note the train operator with the cab exterior storm door open while in the train in my avatar pic.

by GP40MC 1116

RailBus63 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:I find that I save a lot of grief by wearing the permit around my neck whenever I am out taking pictures. The operators and inspectors see the yellow card and dont even bother you!
That’s a great idea!

By all means, get the permit – it answers any and all questions from employees and police officers.

As for good places to take photos, subway photos can be difficult on the Red and Orange lines due to the fact that six-car trains fill up the entire platform. I’ll include a few of my favorite stations on the list in case you have a camera fast enough to capture trains in motion.

Some of my favorite places include:

RED LINE (Rapid transit) – Central, Charles/MGH, Park Street, Savin Hill, Ashmont (before they start reconstruction this year), Wollaston.

RED LINE (High-Speed Line trolleys) – Any station is good, but Ashmont, Milton and Capen Street are my favorites. Be careful around Ashmont and Mattapan.

ORNAGE LINE – The least interesting of the rapid transit lines – good shots can be had at Malden Center, State southbound, and Ruggles (you can get the Hancock Building in the background when shooting southbound trains from the south end of the platform). Be careful at any stations south of Ruggles.

BLUE LINE – Bowdoin, Aquarium (great shots!), Wood Island, Suffolk Downs and Beachmont.

GREEN LINE –Science Park, North Station, Park Street and Hynes-ICA are my favorites in the Central Subway. On the street, I’d go to Warren Street and Packard’s Corner on the B line; Cleveland Circle, Coolidge Corner and St. Mary’s St. on the C line; Longwood, Brookline Hills and Newton Center on the D line, and Brigham Circle and the corner of Huntington and South Huntington Aves. on the E line.

BUS AND TRACKLESS TROLLEYS – Cambridge Commons adjacent to the north portal of the Harvard Square bus tunnel is an awesome place to get bus and trackless trolley photos – you’ll see just about every type of bus the MBTA operates there except the articulateds. Afternoons are best. Other north side locations – Haymarket, Bellingham Square in Chelsea, Malden Center, and the new train station in Central Square, Lynn. South side – Quincy Center, Ashmont, Dudley (be careful!). Forest Hills and Ruggles are both good in the afternoon.

Have fun!

Jim

Thanks, all good spots, right now im trying to find some shots for busses and such, ehh im not a huge fan of underground subway shots, im more looking for bus photos and some nice commuter rail photos since this is MBTA Rail Opperations, any ideas for the Commuter Rail?

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:ORNAGE LINE – Ruggles (you can get the Hancock Building in the background when shooting southbound trains from the south end of the platform). Be careful at any stations south of Ruggles.
If you are at the South end of the Ruggles platform you would be unable to see the Boston skyline, the North end is outside and will give you the Hancock in the background. Also, Railbus seems either parahnoid or racist when saying "Be careful at stations south of Ruggles" and "Be careful around Asmont & Mattapan". Just have to have a little bit of street smarts and one will be fine in those areas. :-)
Thanks CSX, i know your damn good on the Rail side of stuff, meaning CSX and MBTA, can you fill me in on some spots im more looking for some nice commuter rail photos and a Amtrak Downeaster here and their since this is MBTA Rail Opperations, any ideas for the Commuter Rail?

by njtmnrrbuff

I am more of a commuter rail and Amtrak buff. At the end of the month, I will be taking a trip to Maine and I plan to railfan MBTA. Probably I will take a ride to Middleboro. I have done a trip to Needham Heights.