Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mirrodie

Was running an errand to LIVwhen I crossed Edwards Rd north of River ....on the way up to Baiting Hollow. went over a RR crossing with a shelter, but didn't recognize the shelter. Is it the old Calverton station? I don't feel so but cant find references to the shelter I speak of.
  by Crabman1130

On Google Earth the station is labeled just east of the Edwards Ave crossing. There appears to be a shed at the location.
  by NYR99

Yes it is.
  by FrankAndCindy

Hello, Yes that is the old Calverton station . Frank & Cindy
  by Kelly&Kelly

The old station and agency building is still there too, if you look hard enough for it...
  by nyandw

Calverton Emery map:http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... P69-70.jpg

DEPOT BUILT: 1880 AS “BAITING HOLLOW”, CLOSED
AND MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: 1922

2ND DEPOT BUILT FURTHER EAST: 1922. AGENCY CLOSED: 1958
AND MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION.

LAST LISTED IN ETT #4, EFF: 5/85 BUT WITH NO TRAINS
STOPPING. NO LONGER LISTED IN PTT EFF: 5/16/86

Calverton station when it was west of the Edwards Ave. crossing and on the north side of the tracks. It was sold in 1922 when the replacement depot was opened on the south side of the tracks and east of Edward’s Ave.
View NE c.1915

Had this depot still be in use in August, 1926, I believe it would have been wiped out in the Pickle Work’s wreck, due to its proximity to the pickle works and the way the locomotives and cars spun around. Archive/Research: Dave Keller
Last edited by nyandw on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by mirrodie

Thanks. I assumed it was the newest version of Calverton station but had no idea how old it was nor how long it was there.
Actually Steve, I pursued your site all night last night but couldn't find anything that looked close to this current structure.

Next time Im out there Ill keep an eye out for the other older remnants.

by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... verton.jpg

The LIRR 1966 map page 72 has this shelter shed. LAST LISTED IN ETT #4, EFF: 5/85 BUT WITH NO TRAINS
STOPPING. NO LONGER LISTED IN PTT EFF: 5/16/86 Info: Dave Keller

Thus, this specific shed has been "lying around" since May, 1985.

CHRISTMAS HINT TO SEARCH WEB SITES:

I had to look up this item as follows: Type in the URL line" Site: with no space followed by the website, leave a space and add the search item(s).. works everywhere

site:www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/ calverton This techinque is far superior to the Ctrl-F as that only works on the active pages. This drills the entire site as defined. Yields the following:

I found it over on the shelter page: Image
This is the view west in 8/17/2007

Thanks for stirring my interest in Calverton! http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Calver ... verton.htm

Calverton Station 1958 Closed AND MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION. 2000 Photo: Don M. Watson
Last edited by nyandw on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by mirrodie

Thanks. I'd looked under stations. So that shelter served a shelter the station for a bit, huh. Unreal.
  by nyandw

mirrodie wrote:Thanks. I'd looked under stations. So that shelter served a shelter the station for a bit, huh. Unreal.
Yes, basically called a "station stop" :wink: Similar to the Farmingdale -Republic stop:

Republic Station Shelter view E c.1960 - signal distant in view "PW" block signal and the end of double track. Info/Photo: Dave Keller

Republic Station Shelter view E at Route 110 c.1970+ Photo: Art Huneke

It's August, 12, 1973 and on this dreary summer's day we're looking east at the run-down Setauket station. The metal shelter shed replaced the old wooden depot when it was razed on October 3, 1960. Starting in the early 1960s as depot buildings were demolished, these ubiquitous metal shelter sheds were erected at some of the Nassau County station stops and at many of the Suffolk County station stops of the LIRR. Visible in front of the shelter shed is an also-run-down telephone booth. Remember them? Before cell phones, if you didn't have any change and had to make a call from a deserted station platform (like Setauket), you were sunk. Start walking! The platform and platform lamp posts are slowly being encroached upon by nature. This station stop would last until it was discontinued per General Order #207, effective September 6, 1980. Today you would be hard-pressed to even visualize a station stop ever being located there. (Dave Keller archive and data)

One of my favorites:
The white flag special with wooden parlor cars headed into the old Montauk station, with partial platform for the fishing station stop visible at the far right. This view is c. 1910. The old one-story depot had an upstairs added in 1907.
Info: Dave Keller

I found all these via the "site" search: site:www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/ station stops
  by Publius Plunkett

Mirrodie that photo you posted of the iconic Calverton station is amazing! I love the art work on the side. It's so Industrial.
  by Teutobergerwald

That siding at Calverton ever used ?
  by mirrodie

Publius Plunkett wrote:Mirrodie that photo you posted of the iconic Calverton station is amazing! I love the art work on the side. It's so Industrial.
Perhaps you need to visit some museums and get out more often?
  by nyandw

mirrodie wrote:
Publius Plunkett wrote:Mirrodie that photo you posted of the iconic Calverton station is amazing! I love the art work on the side. It's so Industrial.
Perhaps you need to visit some museums and get out more often?
Agree, it truly is a very fine example of "Vandal Art"... circa 1970 to the current era. :(
  by Slippy

Teutobergerwald wrote:That siding at Calverton ever used ?
Yes, the NY&A RR and LIRR still use the siding.