Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DaveBarraza

Those photos show RS-70 running the east end during daylight hours, has that been happening recently, or are they from a while back?

Hope the photog called for foul time!
  by Slippy

The photographer and RR.net member was part of the crew that day.
  by C-LINER 2001

The derelict M-1s at AH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by mirrodie

Wow, I'm assuming those M1s were for the museum??? Otherwise why would they be so far out east? Such an eyesore out there..
  by larryk1949

I spent a week in AH loading these M1"s with the help of the LI wreck crew and Hultcher Rail service from Baltimore. We then brought them in to go off line to West Virgina to be scrapped. There were lots of issues with these cars and many people unhappy that the RR dropped then in the middle of Calverton. on their way to be scrapped in West Virginia rounding the curve at Divide. They had to be loaded onto 90ft flat cars because of numerous FRA violations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Combined two posts into one
  by Publius Plunkett

Wow, I'm assuming those M1s were for the museum??? Otherwise why would they be so far out east? Such an eyesore out there..
Possible they ran out of 3rd rail and coasted out there??
  by DaveBarraza

Slippy wrote:The photographer and RR.net member was part of the crew that day.
No doubt!

So are there daylight trains out on the East End presently?
  by Dump The Air

DaveBarraza wrote:
Slippy wrote: So are there daylight trains out on the East End presently?

do not think so, only going off a recent NYAR photo i've seen describing it as a "rare daylight move"

don't sleep on the late night chasing out east though, catching them out in the woods in calverton or along long island ave between medford and holtsville in the middle of the night is a lot of fun.
  by mirrodie

larryk1949 wrote:I spent a week in AH loading these M1"s with the help of the LI wreck crew and Hultcher Rail service from Baltimore. We then brought them in to go off line to West Virgina to be scrapped. There were lots of issues with these cars and many people unhappy that the RR dropped then in the middle of Calverton. on their way to be scrapped in West Virginia rounding the curve at Divide. They had to be loaded onto 90ft flat cars because of numerous FRA violations.
I appreciate the comments. I did find it odd why they took them east, only to later be taken back west and off the island ultimately. Between the colorful shed and M1s, it made for an unusual subject in a bulcolic setting.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Back more then 10 years ago I recall asking about the retired M1 cars that were being shipped out
east before they were moved off of LI for scrap stored in Calverton - Member N409SG (Tom) back
in 2005-2006 - a LIRR Employee who then posted about the program to retire the M1 fleet posted
about exactly why some of these cars ended up where and why they were there in storage. The
LIRR Forum archive posts about M1 retirement is the place to refer for this information.

It turned out that just four M1 cars (two pairs if anyone does not remember) would be preserved
for museums: 9547-48 at RMLI Riverhead and 9745-46 for the MTA Transit Museum (Does anyone
know where this pair currently is being stored?) after the original prototype pair 9001-2 were sent
out for scrap primarily because of their poor condition.

Calverton may have the last of the metal station sheds that the LIRR once used in low level platform
territory still standing - I noticed the concrete foundation that some of them had on this one which
made them very sturdy. I remember reading that Calverton was one of the lowest ridership stations
on the LIRR averaging one rider per day at the time of its closure. This shed could be preserved or
even reused if there is a way to move it intact or use it in some form at its current location. I also
remember Ron Ziel mentioning in the book "Steel Rails to the Sunrise" that these sheds were the
LIRR's response to rising station costs - especially in Suffolk County...

MACTRAXX
  by Backshophoss

Unlike the PC/CR/MN M-1's,LIRR's could not be towed on their own wheels due to how the airbrake system was spec'ed by LIRR
They were delivered to and left the LIRR on flatcars. When LIRR M's were towed,the locos could charge the brake line to
release the brakes or set them to emergency braking. There was NO in between settings.
The only locos that had full control were the "Harold Protect" pair of SW 1001's
The M-3's were delivered on flat cars to the LIRR as were the M-7's.
  by 452 Card

LIRR M1 and M3 cars were NOT delivered on flatcars. Only the 10 derelict M1s that were in Calverton during the Hillside Boneyard track renewal for the M7 burn-in project left on flats because they were unserviceable and had their blue cards retired. ALL M7 cars were delivered on flats, which were then reloaded with the next pair(s) of M1s to ship to Mexico for scrapping. The saying at the time was "asbestos can only go south". All M7 unloading and retired M1 loading occurred in Holban at a ramp constructed by Bombardier for that purpose.
  by freightguy

Re: "AH" Calverton
Postby 452 Card » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 am
LIRR M1 and M3 cars were NOT delivered on flatcars. Only the 10 derelict M1s that were in Calverton during the Hillside Boneyard track renewal for the M7 burn-in project left on flats because they were unserviceable and had their blue cards retired. ALL M7 cars were delivered on flats, which were then reloaded with the next pair(s) of M1s to ship to Mexico for scrapping. The saying at the time was "asbestos can only go south". All M7 unloading and retired M1 loading occurred in Holban at a ramp constructed by Bombardier for that purpose.

Don't forgot about the young lady who took them west of the overhead bridge at Fresh Pond on Lower Montauk and sprinkled the asbestos all over Fresh Pond yard. The m1's on flatcars opened up like a misplaced tractor trailer on the Northern State Parkway.
  by Slippy

freightguy wrote:Re: "AH" Calverton
Postby 452 Card » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 am

Don't forgot about the young lady who took them west of the overhead bridge at Fresh Pond on Lower Montauk and sprinkled the asbestos all over Fresh Pond yard. The m1's on flatcars opened up like a misplaced tractor trailer on the Northern State Parkway.
Freightguy, I seem to recall that incident in 2005. That's the same engineer they had cut the power underneath their train because of a misroute and unable to contact to let them know they were heading down the wrong branch.

Also with the M1 incident, a squabble broke out between a savvy union rep and the Superintendent of Rules S.M. at the scene. S.M. threatened to throw the union rep off the LIRR property. So the union rep walked about ten feet south of Montauk # 2 and said, "I'm now on NYAR property."