Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BuddR32

Backshophoss wrote:Unlike the PC/CR/MN M-1's,LIRR's could not be towed on their own wheels due to how the airbrake system was spec'ed by LIRR
They were delivered to and left the LIRR on flatcars. When LIRR M's were towed,the locos could charge the brake line to
release the brakes or set them to emergency braking. There was NO in between settings.
The only locos that had full control were the "Harold Protect" pair of SW 1001's
The M-3's were delivered on flat cars to the LIRR as were the M-7's.
M1/M3 cars were delivered in-tow on their own wheels. When new they had brake-pipe control capability of the brakes. This was removed a few years after delivery.
  by BuddR32

freightguy wrote:Re: "AH" Calverton
Postby 452 Card » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 am
Don't forgot about the young lady who took them west of the overhead bridge at Fresh Pond on Lower Montauk and sprinkled the asbestos all over Fresh Pond yard. The m1's on flatcars opened up like a misplaced tractor trailer on the Northern State Parkway.
Any info, photos or threads on this? I've heard about it, but not much.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

See: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The topic on the pair of wrecked M1s was started by Master Conductor on June 9,2005.
I was just a new member of the LIRR Forum back then. This was easy for me to find by
searching my posts...

This is off the Calverton AH topic but answers R32's questions to start...MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

Hi Folks: Just posted a set of current photos January 2017 photos of this location:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Calver ... verton.htm

View West location #3: Image

1. Help on location #4 concerning this structure. The original?
2. Li Potato House(s) at location #3 original?
3. Current lumber yard north of locale #3, new structure, and/or replacement of previous LI Potato siding building?