Railroad Forums 

• NJT engineers program

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#730731  by GE-RULES

matawanaberdeen wrote:Well i'm giving up. First of all my apps seem to get me nowhere and how many more people they gonna hire here. Its got to be the last class for a long time. JC
I know it's frustrating but you shouldn't throw in the towel if this is something you want. It took me over a year to get hired as a student engineer with NJT and I came from a Class-I freight railroad. Have you tried applying for Assistant Conductor? That would be a good position to get your foot in the door with and see what working for the railroad is really like.
 #730758  by TheTroll

matawanaberdeen wrote:Well i'm giving up. First of all my apps seem to get me nowhere and how many more people they gonna hire here. Its got to be the last class for a long time. JC
Another way in is to apply as a part-time bus operator. Work at that for a bit then transfer over to rail. Just another option.
 #730763  by matawanaberdeen

I tried all types of positions,Engineer,AC,railcar inpector,and even railcar cleaner just to get my foot in the door. Its just not working out for me. Hey what are you gonna do,you win some you lose some.
 #731167  by matawanaberdeen

Hey guys what exactly does not giving up mean anyway? I have sent in around 10 apps over this year. Is that overkill? Do I need to send in more? Does too many apps annoy NJT? Will they lose all my other apps therefore I need to keep sending more in? Thanks guys JC
 #731169  by AEM7AC920

What ever you see that you are intrested in KEEEP APPLYING!! It doesn't hurt and it's not overkill some people spend half of there lives trying to score a R.R job.
 #731179  by matawanaberdeen

AEM7AC920 wrote:What ever you see that you are intrested in KEEEP APPLYING!! It doesn't hurt and it's not overkill some people spend half of there lives trying to score a R.R job.
Really wow ok I guess its not overkill. Thanks JC
 #731315  by TheTroll

matawanaberdeen wrote:I tried all types of positions,Engineer,AC,railcar inpector,and even railcar cleaner just to get my foot in the door. Its just not working out for me. Hey what are you gonna do,you win some you lose some.
I understand that. But... do you know how many engineers use to be bus drivers at NJT?
 #731333  by AEM7AC920

Keep in mind if you are applying for a job as an asst conductor or engineer you are fighting a lot of guys with prior R.R experience coming over from the freight railroads. CSX has cut a lot of jobs so you got displaced people looking to jump ship from all over the country. I know our last engineers posting at MBCR in boston had CSX guys going for it from ARIZONA and half way across the country so keep the fight going. I personally have applied to amtrak postings around my area about 6 or 7 times and did manage to take the testing and get an interview but the obviously took the certified class 1 over me even though I am a conductor and have R.R experience so all of us who aren't engineers already don't have it easy at this time.
 #731356  by matawanaberdeen

Thanks I just filled out another app. so I guess I'm just gonna keep on trying . I guess I'm just a sucker for a RR job. I talked to someone in the union from time to time and he says just keep trying and it will happen. So we'll see. JC
 #731941  by Swedish Meatball

You have only had your resume in for one year. It took my best friend over 3 years to hire out with MNRR. You have to keep updating your application if you really want the job.
 #732461  by TheTroll

Sooooooo...... I guess I was lucky. Hired off the street with no rail experience, one application, sitting in a engineer's class room in 6 months. I had transportation experience, but not with NJT.