Railroad Forums 

• NJT engineers program

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#624743  by matawanaberdeen

I hear there is a NJT engineers program coming up in the spring. My app. is in so I hope they call. Let me in on just how hard the classes will be? Also is it really nothing but class work for the first 6 months? Thanks JR
 #625284  by haamster

Class is set for the first or second week of March. I think it is already filled, but they may need alternates and standbys.

First three months is classroom, then two weeks of qualifying, then a month of hostling and yard work, then three more months in the classroom, then about a year of train handling before promotion.

Good luck!
 #625755  by cobra30689

I just got the call yesterday announcing the change....3/3/09(from 2/17). Official offer letters out the 23rd I think....

I have to go back for another physical because my original one expired :P

Any idea the reason for the change?
 #625792  by QWKSLVR

cobra30689 wrote:I just got the call yesterday announcing the change....3/3/09(from 2/17). Official offer letters out the 23rd I think....

I have to go back for another physical because my original one expired :P

Any idea the reason for the change?
Offer letters go out on the 23rd of Jan. or 23rd of Feb.??
 #625845  by UMDNJemt

I also got the phone call on Wednesday about the change of start date. I was told the letters would be going out on the 23rd. I would think January as Feb. would be to close to the start date. Just want to say that I have been a lurker for a year or so now, and all of the advice that I read on here helped me get this opportunity. Thank you all. cobra30689 check your PM's.
 #626342  by GE-RULES

haamster wrote:First three months is classroom, then two weeks of qualifying, then a month of hostling and yard work, then three more months in the classroom, then about a year of train handling before promotion.
This post is a little too vague so here is a more in depth answer.

The class is broken up in to 4 sections which are: Orientation, Level 1A Basic, Level 1B Advanced, and Level 2.

Orientation is just what the name implies and lasts about 3 months. During this level you will be expected to become qualified on NORAC Operating Rules within the first 60 days. Orientation consists of:

Program Instruction
Management Structure Introduction
Engineer Job Description and Reasonability
Employee Assistance Program Presentation
Basic Equipment Orientation
NORAC Operating Rules
Safety Rules and Instructions
Basic Field Instruction and Safety Instructions
Locomotive Riding Assignments
Orientation Level Final Exam

Level 1A Basic lasts about 3 months (4 months if you include OJT/Hostling) and is more intense with more emphasis on NORAC Operating Rules, Air Brakes and Diesel Locomotives. Level 1A Basic consists of:

NORAC Operating Rules and Related Special Instructions
NORAC Operating Rules Examination and Qualification
Diesel Locomotive Equipment and Orientation
Basic Air Brake Introduction with Air Brake and Train Handling Rules and Instructions
Basic Locomotive Operation with Field Instruction at MMC/Hoboken
Physical Characteristics Introduction
Physical Characteristics Qualification: Hoboken Terminal to Broad Street - Newark, MMC (Meadows Maintenance Complex), Raritan Yard
Physical Characteristics Qualification Exam
Level 1A Basic Final Exam with written and field parts
On the Job Training (Hostling - 1 month)

Level 1B Advanced typically lasts 4 months and will again focus on NORAC Operating Rules as well as a more advanced look at Air Brakes, Diesel and Electric Locomotives and now Passenger Equipment including MU's. This section is intense as well but you are more prepared for it after Level 1A Basic and Orientation. Level 1B Advanced consists of:

Advanced Air Brake Operation and Principles
Advanced Diesel Locomotive Instruction and Troubleshooting
Advanced Electric Locomotive Instruction and Troubleshooting
Passenger Equipment Instruction including MU's
Further Physical Characteristics Instruction and Pre-Qualification
Level 1B Advanced Final Exam with written and field parts

Level 2 is the last and final section lasting the longest, about 10 to 12 months, depending on your ability to demonstrate competency running a train properly and observance of Operating Rules, Special Instructions and Physical Characteristics. Level 2 consists of:

Qualifying Physical Characteristics of your assigned division (Newark or Hoboken)
Physical Characteristic Qualification Exam with written and verbal parts
Train Handling and OJT
Level 2 Final Exam with written and field parts

After completion of a the above briefly described sections and your demonstration of competency running trains of all types NJT has you will be promoted. Don't forget that there are roughly 286 quizzes spread all throughout the entire program along with your exams. This program is not easy and will definitely test your will but it is doable. There are a lot of us that have made it and let me tell you, it's quite a feeling of accomplishment! Hopefully this gives you a better outline of what to expect. Know your rules, be safe and have fun...
 #626777  by matawanaberdeen

Whew that post from GE RULES scared me a bit. Does it just sound much tougher than it is? I mean wow it seem like a ton to remember and learn. Are the instructors good at not overwhelming you with too much info? Thanks for the post though. I do not want to be BS'ed so the truth about the training program is good. Thanks again JR
 #627410  by Jtgshu

matawanaberdeen wrote:Whew that post from GE RULES scared me a bit. Does it just sound much tougher than it is? I mean wow it seem like a ton to remember and learn. Are the instructors good at not overwhelming you with too much info? Thanks for the post though. I do not want to be BS'ed so the truth about the training program is good. Thanks again JR
Well, its hard, very hard, and very challenging. Its a tremendous amount of work, and there are a LOT of hoops you gotta jump through.

I found it much harder than getting my undergraduate degree, and Im not exaggerating by saying it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my entire life.

However, the instructors are fair and helpful, so long as you show that you care and are willing to learn. Thats the key - you REALLY have to want to do it. Those are the folks who get through. Those who don't or just look at is as a job, simply don't make it.

The RR is very good about getting rid of those folks. As the saying goes, "they give you the rope to hang yourself" - However, if you are motivated, and willing to learn and really want to do it, you will have a long and successful career.

Don't mean to scare you, but thats how it is. Hundreds of folks have gotten through the program, its not impossible, but its not a walk in the park!
 #627619  by matawanaberdeen

No problem here I really want to do it. I've wanted to be an engineer since I was 10. I now want it and actually need it. I really think I could get through it. JR
 #627879  by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote: The RR is very good about getting rid of those folks. As the saying goes, "they give you the rope to hang yourself"
...if you say so...

And don't make me name names!
 #628136  by Jtgshu

thebigc wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: The RR is very good about getting rid of those folks. As the saying goes, "they give you the rope to hang yourself"
...if you say so...

And don't make me name names!
well, thats the case SOME of the time :) with the newer guys at least - hahaha
 #628475  by frank502

When you finish LETP,you'll be qualified to fly F16s. :P I had to study for the personality test. :-D

On a more serious note. The material is not overly hard. There is however a large amount of stuff to be learned in a short time. In this program rote memory is more important than intellect. The ability to memorize things will help you more than a 150 IQ. If you have a photographic memory,you'll fly through the classroom stuff.

There is lots of pressure with quizzes & exams. Passing becomes the goal rather than learning. Students sometimes learned the material like parrots. They could recite it or put it on paper,doing well on a quiz or exam,without really understanding it. This could be a problem later on.

The program will require lots of work. It's not easy.
 #628677  by Jtgshu

frank502 wrote:When you finish LETP,you'll be qualified to fly F16s. :P I had to study for the personality test. :-D

On a more serious note. The material is not overly hard. There is however a large amount of stuff to be learned in a short time. In this program rote memory is more important than intellect. The ability to memorize things will help you more than a 150 IQ. If you have a photographic memory,you'll fly through the classroom stuff.

There is lots of pressure with quizzes & exams. Passing becomes the goal rather than learning. Students sometimes learned the material like parrots. They could recite it or put it on paper,doing well on a quiz or exam,without really understanding it. This could be a problem later on.

The program will require lots of work. It's not easy.
Not F16s - F40s! HAHAHA
 #628887  by matawanaberdeen

From what I have read on here the minimum score is 85 except for NORAC which is 100%. Meaning you have to get every question right on NORAC or your out. Is that correct? JR