• NJT engineers program

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by notonedime

I'm honestly not sure.. I would think there is another class forthcoming.. but then again NJT can postpone it, cancel it, push it back.. it's really hard to say.. but regardless, I will be testing soon..
  by matawanaberdeen

well its encouraging to say the least. I hope I get a call soon. I actually want to get in as assist. conductor because the program is much easier. then later on go into the engineers training program and if I fail can go back to assist. conductor. Seem like a good plan?
  by notonedime

Probably.. but I think it's easier to be considered for an Engineer opportunity than it is Conductor.. and the only reason I say that is, let's face it.. NJT receives thousands of applications per month for these two positions.. and the Engineer program probably has a much higher drop out and failure rate since the Conductor job is relatively much easier..I truly don't know enough about NJT to guide your placement though.. I'm still very uninformed with how NJT operates.. all I know is, I applied, they invited me and I'm going to test.. I probably shouldn't even be excited at this point because I can't seem to confirm that there is another class running this year.. I would think there is.. but those who test today could wind up in a holding pattern for a year.. its just hard to say.. go with the job you feel is best suited for you..
  by jz441

notonedime wrote:Probably.. but I think it's easier to be considered for an Engineer opportunity than it is Conductor.. and the only reason I say that is, let's face it.. NJT receives thousands of applications per month for these two positions.. and the Engineer program probably has a much higher drop out and failure rate since the Conductor job is relatively much easier
Keep in mind that qualified engineers from other RR's get the priority...
Good luck!... :wink:
  by thebigc

For what its worth, last night I was talking to a LETP type who was in my yard and he remarked that there were four classes in progress behind his!! I find all this hiring beyond incredible as two or three guys retire a year and we hire 60 to replace them.
  by matawanaberdeen

Don't we all hope that is true!
  by matawanaberdeen

Any other news on that because I really need to get in that training program?
  by Grump

by matawanaberdeen

Its been a while any new news at all? JC
  by GE-RULES

matawanaberdeen wrote:Its been a while any new news at all? JC
I haven't heard of any new LETP classes the rest of this year or next but anything is possible. 2 classes just got promoted within the last 3 months and another is set to be peomoted in about 2 weeks; I believe that leaves 2 more left to be promoted before all classes are out. I hired out in June of 2007 and got promoted back in December, I already have 60 guys below me, it's hard to believe they hired that many...
  by Jtgshu

GE-RULES wrote:
I haven't heard of any new LETP classes the rest of this year or next but anything is possible. 2 classes just got promoted within the last 3 months and another is set to be peomoted in about 2 weeks; I believe that leaves 2 more left to be promoted before all classes are out. I hired out in June of 2007 and got promoted back in December, I already have 60 guys below me, it's hard to believe they hired that many...
yea i know its amazing isn't it? But remember, its not the guys BELOW you that matter its the ones AHEAD of you (like me!) that DO! hahah

Still quite haven't figured out what the heck they are going to do with 500 plus engineers, but im sure the brains at Penn Plaza have a grand plan that will work perfectly as intended.......
  by matawanaberdeen

I hear a ton of guys are going to retire through the the next 3 years maybe that's why. I guess I shouldn't expect any NJT calls for a long while is what your saying? Ah I'm only out of work 8 months and sent in 10 apps. why not another year and 10 more apps! JC
  by TheTroll

Jtgshu wrote:
GE-RULES wrote:
yea i know its amazing isn't it? But remember, its not the guys BELOW you that matter its the ones AHEAD of you (like me!) that DO! hahah

Still quite haven't figured out what the heck they are going to do with 500 plus engineers, but im sure the brains at Penn Plaza have a grand plan that will work perfectly as intended.......
Or me! :P
  by Jtgshu

yea Troll, you do matter to me......by one number..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hahahhaha

How many years til you retire? :)
  by GE-RULES

Jtgshu wrote:But remember, its not the guys BELOW you that matter its the ones AHEAD of you (like me!) that DO! hahah
I try not to think about it too often but I'm all too aware of you guys ahead of me as I'm sure you are of those ahead of you!!! Hahaha...