• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by highrail

regarding the siding at Glenn, I do not think that it has been completed, but I am up that way in the next couple days so I will check it out. The other reason that I heard why they were building it is that it is near the polar express location and would assist with equipment moves related to that.
  by eriemike

JohnK wrote:In one of my train books, 2 parlor cars of [either] the Boston, Concord, & Montreal RR (or the later Boston & Maine) are shown, the "Passaconaway" and the "LaFayette".

When I was a kid (early 1980s), I could SWEAR that I saw one or both of these cars at North Conway, either in service or on display, at the CSRR.

Was I imagining things, or, do they still exist?

Thank you,
-John K.
John K,

This fumite :wink: wants to know if you are you talking about the really vintage BC&M passenger coach that must have dated to the late 1800's and used to sit next to the enginehouse and turntable? It was cream colored? If that is the one you are thinking about it is now at the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes RR Museum in Phillips, Maine. I know it was very fragile looking and needed a good coat of paint. I do not know what kind of work if any has been done to it since it was sent packing to SR&RLRR Museum. I think it has been there for at least 6 to 7 years.

I remember there used to be another coach next to it, but the trucks and bottom half was boarded over. It was green and I think it had stairs built up onto the platform. I do not know the origins or disposition of that coach. I think it has been gone as long as the BC&M coach.

by #7470

When I was a little kid I could swear that sometime in the early to mid 90s, the Flying Yankee was parked on a siding on I think the Bartlette run but not sure. I remember it being silver so with a slanted front and now that I remember this I am thnking it was the Flying Yankee. Anyone know about this?

by CSRR573

the green coach is still sitting next to the roundhouse, and there is a picture on nerail with the cream colored coach in the background and taken i think in the 80's I too remember the yankee on the siding only it was in glen near the "margaritagrill"

by ThinkNarrow

#7470 wrote:When I was a little kid I could swear that sometime in the early to mid 90s, the Flying Yankee was parked on a siding on I think the Bartlette run but not sure. I remember it being silver so with a slanted front and now that I remember this I am thnking it was the Flying Yankee. Anyone know about this?
You are absoluely correct. It was not on a siding, but rather in a gravel pit area on the north side of the road in Glen, NH. From www.nashuacitystation.com:
After the closure of Edaville in the late 1990s, the Flying Yankee was moved to Glen, New Hampshire after the closure of Edaville. After a few years in Glen, the Flying Yankee was given to the State of New Hampshire and thus moving again in 1997, this time to Claremont, N.H. for a full restoration. In its second phase of its restoration, the Flying Yankee was on the move yet again, in early 2005 the train was moved to Lincoln, N.H.
-John

by #7470

Thanks for the reply John. :-D

by Joe Fox

Ok, even though this is off topic, how did it happen to end up there? I thought I heard somebody tell me that if it was restored, they were going to use it on Conway Scenic's track?

Back on topic, I see in photos, that CSRR has done some recent ballasting. What all do they have for MOW equipement? All I have ever seen is a tamper, a few work flats, and that is about it.

by elecuyer

Hi Joe,

When the Yankee became available, the line through Crawford Notch was not being used. It was either still owned by Guliford, or had just been purchased by the State of NH.

At any rate, the guy/family who owns StoryLand (Bob Morrell) purchased the Flying Yankee and moved it to the dirt lot in Glen, opposite the Crawford Notch line. The plan was to restore it to operation - running it from there (building a wye) to Faybians (where another wye could be built.) This attraction would be completely independent of Conway Scenic's operation - although they had their own interest in operating the Notch trains.

For whatever reason, Conway Scenic was awarded the contract from the State of NH to operate the Crawford Notch line. They opened it to Bartlett within a year or two, then through the notch. Meanwhile, Bob Morrell "sold" (for $1) the Flying Yankee to the state of NH on the condition that it be restored to operation. It was moved to Claremont, then to Lincoln where restoration continues.

I may have some of the details wrong, but that is the basic summary of events, etc.

-Ed Lecuyer
(who is looking forward to a day at the WW&F tomorrow :-)

by Joe Fox

Thanks for the info Ed. How much rail and other work had to be done on teh track through Crawford Notch? What a beautiful rail line that is.

Joe
Ed, I wish I could be with you guys on the track crew, but Dad says I can't borrow a vehicle. Oh well, maybe next week.

by superwarp1

Question,

Who maintains the line through the Notch? That's alot of track to keep in order just for one train a day.

by b&m 1566

Whether Guilford owned the Yankee or not I don't know; someone else will have to elaborate on that. I was always under the impression that it was owned by Edaville and sold when Edaville closed.
The notch train was already up in running by the time the state took ownership of the Yankee in 1997 (notch train started in August of 1995, with Bartlett in December of 1994). If I remember correctly, Guilford officially abandoned the line in 1992 fallowed by the state purchasing it from Guilford just after it that same year after negotiations lasted for the better part of 10 years. Conway Scenic got the contract in November of 1993 and started right away rehabbing the ROW.
FYI the biggest hurtle the CSRR had to deal with was a wash out that occurred in the notch sometime in later part of 1995 or early 1996. When inspected by the CSRR and the state, it was determined that the CSRR would have to delay the first full season for the notch train or cancel it altogether; instead the state allowed the CSRR to start fixing the washout right away. With snow covered tracks the CSRR crew set out in February/March of 1996 (Two +/- months ahead of what the state allows) and started working on the washout; after 3 or so months working on the wash out the notch train opened as scheduled in June of 1996.
superwarp1 wrote:Question,

Who maintains the line through the Notch? That's alot of track to keep in order just for one train a day.
The Conway Scenic maintains the track on there own.

by Joe Fox

Thanks for the info B & M 1566. Even though Crawford Notch may seem like a lot of track to maintain, it is well worth it. If Conway Scenic wanted to, and this is a big if, they could run two trains a day through the Notch. With an employed track crew, maintaining all of the track, from Conway to Fabyans may take a while, however, certain lines open earlier than others.

Joe

by superwarp1

Another question and thanks by the way.

How often is it inspected and is there any damage after the winter months?

by b&m 1566

Joe Fox wrote:Thanks for the info B & M 1566. Even though Crawford Notch may seem like a lot of track to maintain, it is well worth it. If Conway Scenic wanted to, and this is a big if, they could run two trains a day through the Notch. With an employed track crew, maintaining all of the track, from Conway to Fabyans may take a while, however, certain lines open earlier than others. Joe
I guess you could say there’s a lot of track for 3 men to maintain but thinking about it, it’s really not all that bad. 30+/- miles: 5 or so miles Conway to N. Conway, 10 give/take miles N. Conway to Bartlett, another 10 for Bartlett to Crawford and 5+/- for Crawford to Fabyan.
As far as the CSRR operating two trains in the notch; that has a 0% chance of ever happening. You may get a freight extra in the notch at the same time for a future Rail Fans Weekend event but that’s about it. They barely sell out the notch train as is; which is the reasoning for not operating on a daily basis during the summer. It’s also the same reason they stopped going to Fabyan Station on Saturday’s during the summer. The customers enjoy passing the Valley train and waving to all the people more than seeing Mt. Washington and the hotel.
The reason the notch train starts in mid-June and not in April like the rest is because the rider ship is too small for a 5 to 5 ½ hour train ride. The notch train starts right when all the schools get out and people start going on vacation. Make no mistake about it; if you have the money to charter the notch train in April, May, November or December, I’m sure they wouldn’t turn you down; especially if it puts money in their pockets.
Also got this off of their website, thought some of you people might be interested:
The 470 Railroad Club of Portland, ME, is sponsoring an all day excursion from North Conway, NH, to Hazen, NH, within the town of Whitefield with a side trip to the village of Redstone in Conway. Steam locomotive #7470 is expected to provide the power on the westbound leg of this trip from North Conway and Redstone as far as Bartlett where the 470 clubs F7A 4266 and one of Conway Scenic’s FP9As will take charge of the train for the rest of the trip to Hazen and return. The trip will cover 90 miles (round trip) and will run up through Crawford Notch, Fabyan, Twin Mountain and Whitefield. The train will be narrated and have snack service on board.

Departure time is October 20th at 9 am from the North Conway depot with an approximate return time of 5 pm. Tickets are available from Ron Cole of the 470 club at (207) 773-6330 or from Conway Scenic Railroad reservations at (603) 356-5251.

by CSRR573

B&M 1566 says that the csrr maintains 30 +/- miles of track but in 1 of thier movies I think it says it operates 50 miles of track does anyone know how you would get the 20 extra miles? Also would the 470 trip be the first time the 7470 passes over the redstone track, or did it go this way when it was shipped to Portland before the CSRR started?