• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by #7470

shadyjay wrote:Doesn't the number plate below the headlight say Canadian National?
Yes the number plate does say Canadian National.

by b&m 1566

Not only does it say Canadian National on the front but the number style on the side of the cab and the style of the "logo" on the tender fallows that of what it looked like when it was owned by Canadian National. The letter font, color and how it is set up… it’s the same (just say Conway Scenic instead of Canadian National).
That is kind of odd though the Conway Scenic didn’t number it 1795 if that is the original number.

by b&m 1566

Well the 1055 has made its first journey through Crawford Notch today since being owned by the CS. Seen in these pictures at Hazens http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainman308 with the 1055 delivering the two cars for the Gorham Special tomorrow. Pictures are also posted on the other thread “New Customer on the Mountain Division in Whitefield, NH”

by b&m 1566

I just received this information from the Vice President of the 470 Railroad Club, J. Leonard Bachelder in an ongoing email discussion.
The 4266 will be repaired. At the moment it does run and can be used, but leaks oil badly. This problem will be fixed, and we plan to soon (probably over this winter but no guarantee) give it a complete rewiring job which is needed to ensure future reliable operation. CSRR is in the process of trying to sell their 2 FP9s so the 4266 will again become important to them as a usable locomotive. It will be painted after the repair work is complete. This is our (470 Club's) highest priority. The oil leak I think can be taken care of on site, but we are currently thinking of sending the locomotive to Waterville, like they did with the 573, for wiring work.

It is unlikely that the 4268 will ever run again, though anything is possible. We have talked about fitting it up as a "cab-control car" which, among other things, would require a heck of a lot of cement or ballast to hold her on the rails. I agree it would look nice, and would like to see her running, but this is not high on the priority list. Again, a paint job for this locomotive is in the plans.
In another email he did say he wasn’t 100% sure on whether the CSRR was going to get rid of the sisters but last he checked they were. The last time I checked the master mechanic and staff was trying to convince the owner not to get rid of them. I guess it’s safe to say it’s still up in the air.
  by #7470

Moderator: Removed quote, not on topic, leading.

Currently the 501 thread is locked on the New England forum, but I have started another one for John on the Steam Locomotives forum. Heres a link so you can talk to John all you want about the 501. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42351

I really hope they don't get rid of the sisters. Man I love those units but I've never had the pleasure of riding behind the 6516, just the 6505. Do they have differant horns? I noticed a differance in the video tapes but I wasn't too sure.

-Matt #7470

by CSRR573

Does anyone know why the csrr stopped using thier combine? also have they finished building the siding before the glen depot?

by NHN503

Guys,

PLEASE.

This thread is for all things CSRR. I will not have us discussing John, people who may or may not be pretending to be someone else to start it up or personal dreams with the 501 in this thread.

Threads need to remain on topic or this one will get a lock down on also for a short period. I really wish that the NE Railran forum will not get to the point that the whole forum is locked down like the MBTA forum last week, but we are treading close.

I am the sole moderator of this group, and I like just about everyone here, am employed full time. I can not all the time immediately keep up with posts that need to be removed or edited, so I implore all of you to be helpers and adults and not post replies in any topic so that it may stir the pot, doing exactly what the original poster wanted.

From now on only posts that have been edited will be noted in the post. Removed posts will not be noted, and a PM may not be sent. I'd like as many people to come to this forum as much as possible, but with entire threads locked, or full of "post removed" it doesn't look to pleasing to people who may want to post, or for Railfan.net as a whole.

Also, Otto should not have to come in here when he does and feel that he needs to direct things back on target, it's not his job, and it makes me look bad.

Lets keep the posts on track, and have some fun.

by Joe Fox

When did CSRR start building a siding at Glenn? Next time I am over that way, I will be sure to take a look at that siding. Does anybody know what they plan on using it for?

Joe

by b&m 1566

The CSRR started constructing it back in 2005. I believe it will be used for the MOW equipment? Three maintenance personnel work the line from Conway to Fabyans, 5 days a week during the day not at night. There was no siding between N. Conway and Bartlett (up until now) and it made it difficult for them to get work done while keeping the track clear for the trains. By the time they finished clearing the line for a train to pass and then getting back to where they would be working they would have to stop work just minutes into it and repeat the step over again. The passing track being at the mid-point between N. Conway and Bartlett should make it easier to clear the line and add more time for the MOW crew to get work done. The siding will also allow them to store stuff closer to the area there working at rather than storing stuff at N. Conway and/or Bartlett. A similar set up already exist in the notch on the east end plus you have track 3 at Crawford that the CSRR does use for there MOW equipment. I have seen stuff stored on that track a few times over the years. Maintenance from Intervale to Redstone and from Fabyans to Whitefield is on an as needed basis.
  by JohnK

In one of my train books, 2 parlor cars of [either] the Boston, Concord, & Montreal RR (or the later Boston & Maine) are shown, the "Passaconaway" and the "LaFayette".

When I was a kid (early 1980s), I could SWEAR that I saw one or both of these cars at North Conway, either in service or on display, at the CSRR.

Was I imagining things, or, do they still exist?

Thank you,
-John K.

by Joe Fox

Thanks B&M 1566. I hope to work with the Conway Scenic track crew one of these days. Somebody said that they work six days a week, but that is fine with me, becaue it would be a job that I love to do. Does anybody know of any track crew positions available in the New England area for nex year? I am really hoping to work for Conway Scenic for a year or so, and see how it goes.

Joe

by Cowford

What is CSRR using for MofW equipment? Are they more mechanized than just having a tamper? Any hi-rails?

by Dick H

CSRR has at least two hi-rail pick-up trucks. Both were shadowing the 7470 trip through the Notch. I don't think they are recent purchases, but looked great and must have spent some time in the paint shop.

The CSRR used to operate a work-train quite a bit, using the 44 tonner #15, especially in the spring to clean up and make repairs from the effects of the previous winter weather. Both the #15 and the 45 tonner #380 bought from the NHCR are both out of service, so I presume any work trains would get the #1055 for power.

Dick

by Joe Fox

CSRR also has a log truck, that has hi rail wheels on it. I saw it two or three weeks ago heading towards Glenn, from Bartlett.

Joe