• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by eriemike

I was in North Conway with my family this weekend and we checked out CSR. The 7470 was in the enginehouse not steamed up. We watched them switch the engine to pull the Notch train. Later we caught up with them at Crawford and again at Bartlet on their way back. They, of course had a meet with the Bartlett train. In fact, we chased the Bartlett train from Glen on up. It was the first time my four year old son "chased" a train. He had a great time.

Why was the 7470 not running this weekend. Do they only pull it out on special occasions or did they have some planned maintenance?

by b&m 1566

Ian MacMillan wrote:From CSRR south of Conway station there is 3.54 miles of track until the next operator, Silver Lake RR at Boulder Rd. In this section the tracks are covered with at Coleman Concrete, and boulders placed in the gauge. They can be easily removed, and Coleman said that they would be willing to move them if SLRR or CVRTC gets operating permission to that point.

From Boulder Rd to Rt. 113, SLRR's operating rights, is about 4 miles. They are currently missing a 250' section of trackage by Boulder Rd, which they have the rail for and plan on replacing this fall.

From Rt 113 to Rt. 16 is 7.53 miles and currently has no operator. CVRTC is looking to extend our operating rights from our end of track at Rt 16 to the SLRR on this trackage. There is currently some missing rail here. There is missing rail just west of the trackage behind Pinetree Power in Tamworth, about 2 lengths worth. from there it is pretty good until Iris Ln where the ROW has been covered at a depth of 2' by the road, and there is 1 length of rail missing. From there all is good until the Bearcamp river bridge just north of Rt. 16 where there is 1 length of rail missing.

From Rt 16 to Rt 28 is operated by CVTRC, about 8 miles. Trackage rights end just shy of the old Rt. 28 due to 1000' of missing trail and ties. NHN ownership starts at Old Rt.28. From Old Rt 28 to Rt 171 the track is out of service and consists of ties only. South from Rt 171 to the NHN engine house has rail, but there is a washout about halfway between the two points.
I'm sure there are enough rails laying around on the side of the ROW to fill in those missing links. Do you have any idea as to why most of the rail was removed from 28, south and when did it take place?
eriemike wrote:Why was the 7470 not running this weekend. Do they only pull it out on special occasions or did they have some planned maintenance?
Scheduled to run daily but that's not always the case; probably needed a little extra TLC that day. Sometimes it will make it out for all three runs to Conway and sometimes it may only make one or two.

by bozotexino

The Conway freight house used to have a small snack bar in the north end of the building. This was back around the late-1980's. I think there was a person on each run who would go in and open up the snack bar for a few minutes while the train was in the station. Even though it only took short time to run the engine around the train, passengers were customarily allowed to detrain and stretch their legs. This was back before the introduction of on-board food service. Not sure why the building is now boarded up. I would guess they just don't have any real need to use if for anything anymore.

Bozo

by snowskier

To answer Erie Mike's questiuon about the 7470 not running this past weekend, The CSRR website says the 7470 would not be running August 2-4 as it would be in for a scheduled boiler washing.

by Joe Fox

Steam engines have several inspections that have to be done also. Steam engines have to be inspected every day, 30 days which is more detailed than the 1 day inspection, the 365 (1 year) inspection is more detailed than the 30 day inspection, and then there is a five year inspection, which I believe require the engine to be torn apart. There might be a 10 year inspection, but I am not 100% sure, as I can't seem to remember them all. The are the ones that I know exist, and they are all in order. But I am not sure if there is any thing after a 5 year inspection or not.

Joe

by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote: I'm sure there are enough rails laying around on the side of the ROW to fill in those missing links. Do you have any idea as to why most of the rail was removed from 28, south and when did it take place?

I have no clue why it was removed, but I bet it was because GRS wanted to be a PIA...was removed shortly before purchase of the line by NH and NHN.

by #7470

Whats a P1A?

by wolfmom69

P I A stands for "pain in the ass". :wink:

Bud

Another Guilford "trick", besides rail removal(to prevent speeders etc. from using track) was to sell ALL of a "branchline" EXCEPT a short section at ONE end, that would STOP a new owner from using the line for train service, without paying Guilford a "HIGH" fee for the small section they kept. Did this with the Lewiston Lower branch from Brunswick. here in Maine.

Smart business?? Maybe? but stil a PIA :(

by #7470

:-D lol :-D Well thanks for being honest :-D

by b&m 1566

I have often thought but never thought of asking; why was the 7470 numbered 47 for a brief time? CSRR is usually good when trying to keep things original.

by Guilford Guy

I think her original number is actually 47.

by Joe Fox

The CN had her numbered 470 originally. I have seen some photos of the engine in Ontario, with Canadian National lettering, with 7470 on her cab. But for why Conway Scenic had her numbered 47 is a good question.

Joe

by #7470

Heres a brief history of the 7470.

Built For: Grand Trunk Railway #1795
[??/1922] Renumbered: #7470
[01/1923] Merger: Canadian National Railway Co. #7470
[08/1959] Sold: Canada & Dominion Sugar Co. #7470 at Chatham, ONT
[05/1963] Sold: Ontario Provincial Government at Wallaceburg, ON
[??/1965] Sold: Charles Webber at Sarnia, ON
[04/1966] Sold: Fred Stech at Sarnia, ON
[04/1968] Sold: Dwight Smith at S. Portland, ME
[04/1971] Moved: North Conway, NH (Conway Scenic RR #47)

If the Conway Scenic wanted to be original #7470 would be numbered 1795.

-Matt #7470

by Joe Fox

It is original, for Canadian National. Just like W, W, & F Ry #9. It was originally Sandy River #5, then Sandy River & Rangley Lakes #6, then Kennebec Central #4, and then sold to the W, W, & F in 1933, as W, W, & F Ry #9. However, the W, W, & F Ry museum is going to keep it as W, W, & F #9, because of the historical significance of the engine, with our railroad. So it is still an original engine, just with the last railroads name and #. Maybe that is why Conway Scenic changed it back to 7470. However, it doesn't say Canadian National on it, it says Conway Scenic.

Joe

by shadyjay

Doesn't the number plate below the headlight say Canadian National?