• Official MEC #501 Steam Restoration Project Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by steveh

I was curious so here's a link to the photos. John, your trackwork is excellent, but I doubt the 501 is going to Holbrook, MA.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/5597360 ... /FullAlbum

by The MECnanic

Thanks for the comment on my RR Track. One option Matt and I tossed around was allow me to utilize my contacts locally and bring #501s tender to Holbrook in " 3 " trips . I have acces to a HD. Crane max cap. 40 Tons. The angle and boom length allow such . I have enough skilled welders and sheet metal mechanics to make the tank tight and a local company would prep and apply a special epoxy coating to the complete interior. I would be able to work 24/7 . I have enough volunteers to do this work , a safe area to keep the tender, trucks ,etc. This is the area where the 470 Railroad Club makes out cost wise. I am able to undertake such a feat and will be able to do what is needed to be done without exceeding $10K. I challenge anyone to quote a better price. I would bet that another bidder , would want $50K + I figure the tender would be in my Rr yard about 12-14 months. It is as good as done. If I say i can do somthing for this or that , price , time,etc, you can count on it. No mickey mouse work, to FRA Code,Period. :-D :-D

by CSRR573

The Mechanic your track work is really nice but diddnt you have a speeder there once also i like the signals. It would be cool seeing the 501's tender in my town :-D

by b&m 1566

Okay, if you have a buddy that is able to move the tender for you for free and you’re able to store it on your property; you honestly expect the Club is going to be okay with that? To me that seems like it would be a huge liability issue both for you and them. Would your town zoning laws even allow you to do such work on your property? I don't know what the tender has other than iron but I'm sure you would have to hire someone to test and maybe remove any Asbestos and/or led paint before doing any work on the tender; that right there is going to cost a lot of money. I could go on but I’m sure you’ve got my point.

by steveh

The MECnanic wrote:This is why this Boo..... Co. price to restore #501 is in my opinion a fraud,
I think you should be careful of saying such things about people you have not met and do not know.

by viewfinder

How can you say $300K is "so far out of real time its a riot" when nearly $100,000 has already been spent??? And look at the condition the engine is in!

by highrail

I have been following this thread and have found it to be frustrating to the point where it is time to turn away.

There is a basic point being lost here, regardless of how one might feel about the possible restoration of the 501. The engine is under the ownership of the 470 club. The club is in charge of deciding how to proceed, not one individual. If the democratic process can be observed, it is not the right of the party who does not get his way to be demeaning toward those in the majority who may have made the decision. With the amount of hassle that the Conway Secenic is getting from one individual it seems amazing that they would want any equipment of the 470 club on their property. There are logical business decisions that must be made, which are often in conflict with our emotional desires. So be it. Put the energy somewhere else.

by wolfmom69

Very well put, "highrail" :-) -and the 470 Club IS the owner, and I suspect within the GROUP of members. there ARE different opinions on how to "proceed" with the #501.

Excess "emotions" and "egos" will NOT benefit the #501! :(

Bud

by eriemike

This "battle" over what is going to happen to the 501 is getting so old that it creaks. I don't think that there isn't anyone out there who wouldn't love to see the 501 operate, but such a project is a monumental undertaking, in terms of $$$, logistics, talent and time. Then you have to justify the long term expensives of keeping her properly maintianed. Also will she be allowed to operate? Espcially in this environmentlly frenzied political atmosphere?

Since the 470 Club are the owners, it is their decison to make. It is what it is. At least they will attempt a cosmetic restoration. That is much better than a sharp stick in the eye. :wink: Thank our lucky stars that the 501 still exists, regardless of what condition she is in. There are many railroads that didn't save any of their steam locomotives. At least we have three Maine Central steam locomotives still left.

From what I have seen, the 470 Club is attemping to make the appropriate business decsions. Maybe a "Sugar Daddy" will come along, and make our wishes come true?? Until then, we should just abide by the 470's decision and enjoy the 501 for what it is.

Onward and upward!? :-D

by b&m 1566

Amen!!! I think that just about sums it up.

by NHN503

Back on topic, I don't want to give this thread another 2 week vacation.

by Noel Weaver

eriemike wrote:This "battle" over what is going to happen to the 501 is getting so old that it creaks. I don't think that there isn't anyone out there who wouldn't love to see the 501 operate, but such a project is a monumental undertaking, in terms of $$$, logistics, talent and time. Then you have to justify the long term expensives of keeping her properly maintianed. Also will she be allowed to operate? Espcially in this environmentlly frenzied political atmosphere?

Since the 470 Club are the owners, it is their decison to make. It is what it is. At least they will attempt a cosmetic restoration. That is much better than a sharp stick in the eye. :wink: Thank our lucky stars that the 501 still exists, regardless of what condition she is in. There are many railroads that didn't save any of their steam locomotives. At least we have three Maine Central steam locomotives still left.

From what I have seen, the 470 Club is attemping to make the appropriate business decsions. Maybe a "Sugar Daddy" will come along, and make our wishes come true?? Until then, we should just abide by the 470's decision and enjoy the 501 for what it is.

Onward and upward!? :-D
Finally some common sense instead of just a bunch of "hot air".
Noel Weaver

by superwarp1

:wink:
Last edited by superwarp1 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Meyblc

Well.......I'm not sure that closing the topic is the "answer" here. What if some of us have questions about the 501 project? This would be the ideal place to get some answers, wouldn't it?

If we close every topic once the question has been answered, then this whole board would be closed up.

Just my 2 cents. Now let the beatings begin.....

by NHN503

Guys,

Last time I am going to say it. We all get the point of this thread, so lets BRING IT BACK ON TOPIC.

Please.

Mod hat off