• NJT New Jersey Transit New System Map / Logo

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Matthew Mitchell

I don't have the bibliographic info at hand (maybe someone can look it up), but I read a book this summer on the history of Paris Metro maps. A lot of points in that book about graphic design that are relevant over here too.
  by sixty-six

Matthew Mitchell wrote:I don't have the bibliographic info at hand (maybe someone can look it up), but I read a book this summer on the history of Paris Metro maps. A lot of points in that book about graphic design that are relevant over here too.
As someone who traveled the Paris Metro not too long ago, that map is also terrible and very uninformative.
  by Idiot Railfan

The map is a bit deceptive because it implies the system geographically covers more of the state than it does.
  by wasKFC

The geographically correct(ish) map was better, not only because it was pretty (especially the black version!) but because it conveyed, without words, information on where you were relative to other points in the real world. By going schematic (a copy of the iconic London Underground I think, as DC metro and all other scematic transit maps would be) that very useful bit of info- where are we?- is lost. Plus, if you're really clever you could imagine the Watchung and other mountains, see why certain lines were built where they were, recall all sorts of past railroading glory... but I digress!

Schematics are good for intellectual pursuits (Oh! I didn't realize the three resistors are supposed to be in series there!) but not so helpful for practitioners of reality based navigation.

And the dashed "connection" lines make sense only to a crackhead.
  by 25Hz

All that was needed on the old map was a 2 tone system to highlight the terminus of electric service on the coast line and hoboken div lines. I guess that's too complicated. Instead we are left with this useless hideous crap.
  by RWERN

Although I wouldn't expect any from the members here, but I haven't really heard any really positive responses from anyone about this map. Do you suppose they will keep it in spite of the seemingly general dislike of it?
  by morris&essex4ever

RWERN wrote:Although I wouldn't expect any from the members here, but I haven't really heard any really positive responses from anyone about this map. Do you suppose they will keep it in spite of the seemingly general dislike of it?
If the person who came up with the new map stays in power, they'll probably keep it.
  by wasKFC

Like every map before it, they will keep it. Until the next one comes out.
  by TDowling

Look on the bright side: it's better than the 1980 map!
  by R36 Combine Coach

Just went to the NJT homepage. Anyone noticed the new logo/font?
  by OportRailfan

Looks dumb to me.
  by ACeInTheHole

I hope to god that thing does not end up on the trains, theyve already done enough damage to their logo/colors with that imposter on the multilevels 46s, 42s, 45s and CVs
  by morris&essex4ever

Just like the new system map, it's totally unnecessary and "fixing" something that wasn't broke.
Last edited by morris&essex4ever on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by N4J

There turning it into a social media site....:(
  by ACeInTheHole

morris&essex4ever wrote:Just like the new system map, it's totally unnecessary and "fixing" something that wasn't broke.
Lets face it morris, alot of other companies are fixing what aint broke and screwing it up in the process, for example BMW with their electronic throttles, and im pretty sure JT, sixty-six and Uzi can elaborate for us on the topic with regard to the motive power. Seems like were living in the age of breaking things that were fine in the first place.