Railroad Forums 

• P32AC-DM Dual-Mode Genesis Discussion (Empire Service)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1433489  by F-line to Dudley via Park

AgentSkelly wrote:Only deal changer I could see with a BBD getting the order would that they would be built in Plattsburgh, so it supports the state economy verses Siemens getting it and building it in California.
Possible point in favor of BBD as well: the MTA & (maybe) CDOT combo order of MLV-spec bi-level coaches to replace the entire LIRR and MNRR east-of-Hudson push-pull fleets. Likely timed in/around when the loco order gets RFP'd, because the option orders for coaches above-and-beyond replacement level are dependent in part on how many locos the MTA is going to shoot for. Obviously BBD is the overwhelming market leader for North American commuter coaches, the MLV has proven itself to be an "It Just Works™" product through two generations, and the MTA is less likely to be as reckless as SEPTA at letting an inexperienced low bidder like CRRC or Rotem prevail on an order that size. So odds are Plattsburgh's going to be very busy pumping out MLV's for the agency, and timing of that procurement at or near the loco procurement will put Bombardier in competitive position for the locos despite Amtrak's feelings on the matter.

BUT...the ALP-45DP is a genset diesel, not a single-prime mover product. Different animal for maintenance, as well as higher fuel consumption making it a somewhat big philosophical departure for agencies that only need a little bit of E-mode. And having to shrink 2 engines + the electric half to fit into the weight requirements gives Bombardier a somewhat more difficult design road ahead for meeting the specs, since they already pulled a pretty radical design departure with the gensets to get a shipping product in the first place. From the RFI Siemens seemed to have more tricks up its sleeve at squaring the weight differential. Point of concern in their RFI response was whether they could deliver a 125 MPH capable product with E-mode at the weight limit, but 110 MPH was doable if NYSDOT gave a little leeway for reduced power output in the next-round RFP specs. Much like the P32 has a lower-rated 12-cylinder engine to the P40/42's 16-cylinder engine...but Siemens wasn't looking at quite as dramatic a reduction from the stock diesel Charger for the DM version. Fact that their DM would have a rote regular diesel prime mover makes any specs leeway on their weight shortfall a lot more palatable than leeway for lower-rated gensets. Plus it's now been a few years since the RFI and the Charger has gone from design schematic to full shipping product--within its schematic's intended weight target--so they can give much more precise answers today than they could in the RFI what tricks square the weight difference.

Still think it's overwhelmingly Siemens' loco order to lose. But also overwhelmingly Bombardier's coach order to lose.
 #1433531  by east point

The general consensus is third rail e mode speeds are limited to 110 MPH. That seems to be no factor as speeds on both MNRR and LIRR do not come close to that speed and would not for Amtrak.

As far as to bidders for any DM. The proposals should require figures for that company's promised deliveries of each order compared to actual deliveries. Also once each type delivered any problems causing equipment being taken out of service and how long. Bidder agrees to allow agency contact to verify figures. Change orders can also be added to these figures.
 #1433763  by electricron

You're being generous with the 110 mph consensus, because per the following the world record for third rail train speeds in 108 mph.
Posted by chrisjmiller on Monday, June 11, 2012 4:23 PM on another forum;
"The world speed record for third rail traction is held by a British 442 multiple unit at 108mph. In normal operation, these unit were limited to 100mph. Much of the rail south of London is electrified with the third rail system (750V DC) and the majority of modern units are rated at 100mph. This is not achieved all that often on most routes, however, as this is commuter rail....."

I can't verify that world record speed anywhere, so I'll admit I don't know.
But I haven't read any third rail train running faster than 100 mph on a regular basis.
Therefore, stating 110 mph speeds is being very generous.
 #1433831  by R36 Combine Coach

AgentSkelly wrote:Only deal changer I could see with a BBD getting the order would that they would be built in Plattsburgh, so it supports the state economy verses Siemens getting it and building it in California.
The ALP45s would be "final assembly" only in Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh has never assembled a locomotive, even a "kit" shell. The TraXX and ALP series have final assembly in Kassel, with car bodies from Wroclaw.
 #1441136  by Allouette

64(17) came into Rennselaer with a P42, left with 702 and 104 (P32/P42) combo. I know the "control" P42s are being used on the Grand Central trains, but I can't recall seeing P42s run much south of Albany otherwise. Is this normal?
 #1441144  by NaugyRR

I saw a picture last night on railpictures.net mentioning one of the dual modes had a turbo puke, resulting in the straight diesel tow
 #1441188  by twropr

A few nights ago (think it was Mon the 14th) a shortage of dual modes resulted on P42 #109 taking #64 all the way to NY. At Empire an ACS-64 tied on to tow the train through the tunnel and into Penn Station. #109 was the power for combined 63/69 the following morning.
Andy
 #1443330  by dowlingm

Given Bombardier are surely in bad odour in MTA circles over the subway order, I think some MLVs would be as much as they could demand solely for political reward.

If R.E.M. plans proceed in Montreal, there's a good chance of some 45DPs and maybe MLVs going surplus which MTA could acquire and operate into Penn for CTDOT, assuming NJT didn't need/grab them solely for their own account, but I would see Siemens as being in pole position for a new third rail loco for GCT operations.
 #1464894  by blockline4180

AMTK822401 wrote:I guess I'll bump the topic....again. Any it seems like there will be FL9s on the Empire Corridor this summer alongside P32s...can they MU and/or mode change together....does anyone know?
This keeps getting denied or said "not happening" by MN employees, however I would think Amtrak would need to convince them that it would need to be done if not enough cab cars are available!
 #1464896  by Backshophoss

Believe some of the P42's were rigged to remote the changeover function on the P32's,Figure on the shop at Albany to do that with the leased FL-9's.
It's reported that the FL-9's were "barefooted" when stored,unknown if the shop can restore the 3rd rail Shoe beams, mounts and the missing wiring.
 #1464910  by DutchRailnut

Most of car body cables were cut, all shoe beams, fuse boxes long gone.
again with push pull and engines at each end there is no way passengers can be evacuated from train on tracks 3 and 4.
even with FL-9 the nose door would only be for Engineer, not passengers.
also the FL-9 has never been used with P32acdms for example the engine start stop circuit is totally different.