• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:...but if someone wants to start a dedicated SD60 thread, they're more than welcome to.
SD60 thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=84433
  by Train2009

I saw the one of the ex BNSF Loco's just about 3 days ago on Saturday 7/23 as it went by Harrison,New York at 12:31 PM headed to New Haven,CT from Fresh Pound Yard in New York City. The Loco number was #562...this was my very first time seeing a ex BNSF Loco on the P & W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgdhSTO8lE
  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:so that is where they disappeared to.......they were around Worcester all winter and spring but I haven't seen them up here in about a month....
I Saw 4005 about a month ago, but she hasn't been around the shop. Only the #67 from MARC and the parts unit, and the usual P&W GEs
  by Reader#108

So, it seems that there is a power crunch at P&W...

2216-down for repair
2009-caught fire-down for repair
2 cabless units sitting behind the shop haven't moved in recent memory
582 now in the paint booth

Are they going to purchase/rent new power sometime soon, or repair what they have?

And are the B23-7's still for sale?
  by MEC407

Good question. With the leased SD60s, the situation may not be as dire as it seems. Those two units can do the work of three smaller units.
  by boatsmate

this time of year they don't need all the power, there iks little or no stone being moved... what stone there is is CHFP and thats as needed... and that comes form Plainville (Plainfield? can't get them right) so they don't need all the engines down in NH. As for Worcester the SD60's normally hold down WODA and once and a while ethanol moves. so they can afford to take the time to paint the Pumkins and put the cabless units up for the winter. easier to store them in Worcester where they can maintain them and if needed put them back into service. I am sure with the mild weather P&W feels they can take the time to get the 4006 painted. last year they where stealling the crew out of the paint shop to work on snow removal. thats why they did not get painted last year.

Capt Bill
  by TOMT7X

2216 is in Roanoke... still is..
2009 is in Juniata.. now its been taken apart..

The 582 is NOT in paint booth.. Where did you come up with that?? If you get this from both Delage/Wheezer info.. they are WRONG... Plainfield is right off from my backyard...

The 582 is still in the New Haven job..
The 562 is on the WX1/WX2 job in Worcester..
The 4005 is on the NR2 pool..

The 2201 is still inside Worcester shops.. there are talks that she ****MIGHT**** be back in service... they are discussing..Its a simple coolant system issue.. The cabless units will be fired up and ready to be transferred back to New Haven as stone season is about to start at any time..

Reader#108 wrote:So, it seems that there is a power crunch at P&W...

2216-down for repair
2009-caught fire-down for repair
2 cabless units sitting behind the shop haven't moved in recent memory
582 now in the paint booth

Are they going to purchase/rent new power sometime soon, or repair what they have?

And are the B23-7's still for sale?
  by TOMT7X

Metro-North already tested the 9014 between New Haven towards CP-SHELL and return back to New Haven in the fall last year.. where Amtrak territory began from SHELL to GCT..Amtrak has no issues with the SD60's.. so M-N are still working with P&W brass regarding to get them back into the stone pool.. so time will tell..

Plainville is north of Waterbury.. Plainfield is north of Norwich.. so its a difference.. The number bracket 4006 is not confirmed as people thought.. so just wait and see.. The 582 is still in New Haven, ran on NH-2 yesterday moving some coil loads to Middletown.. The 562 has been running the WX and WOGR pool for some time now.. They have no time for paint right now.. as the important issue they have now is to get the Willimantic Branch done, and get the speed restrictions lifted from the Ampad facility towards Plainfield.. From Willimantic towards Ampad facility in Versailles are complete.. so, they need a lot of tamping/ballasting to do from there to Plainfield..

boatsmate wrote:this time of year they don't need all the power, there iks little or no stone being moved... what stone there is is CHFP and thats as needed... and that comes form Plainville (Plainfield? can't get them right) so they don't need all the engines down in NH. As for Worcester the SD60's normally hold down WODA and once and a while ethanol moves. so they can afford to take the time to paint the Pumkins and put the cabless units up for the winter. easier to store them in Worcester where they can maintain them and if needed put them back into service. I am sure with the mild weather P&W feels they can take the time to get the 4006 painted. last year they where stealling the crew out of the paint shop to work on snow removal. thats why they did not get painted last year.

Capt Bill
  by DutchRailnut

The ex BNSF units(562,580, 582 and PW4005) are no longer allowed on New Haven line (CP112 and Amtrak division post).
the two SD-60's9GMTX 9014 and GMTX 9059) are not to be coupled together and can not be coupled to a car weighing 263,000 lbs or greater.
  by boatsmate

Dutch, What happened that they are not allowed into NY on MN?? are they too heavy for the rail?? or are they too tall for the wires?? I would assume it is a weight issue with the 60's.

thanks

Capt bill
  by DutchRailnut

not sure, they did lot of testing around port Chester , but I have no other info other than bulletin order.
  by TOMT7X

DutchRailnut wrote:The ex BNSF units(562,580, 582 and PW4005) are no longer allowed on New Haven line (CP112 and Amtrak division post).
the two SD-60's9GMTX 9014 and GMTX 9059) are not to be coupled together and can not be coupled to a car weighing 263,000 lbs or greater.

P&W brass are still working with M-N to have the SD60's on them as the lashup will be an SD60 then a B unit then another SD60.. A-B-A configuration.. The B40-8W's are having some clearance issues.. for whatever reason why the wires and such gets tangled.. Time will tell soon...