• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CSRR573

Wouldn't it be easier to build(rebuild) the we at crawford notch because theres a large filed there and you woildn't have to take out part of the forest like you would up in fabyans.

by b&m 1566

There was never a we (I assume you mean Y) at Crawford's. Most helpers would start at Bartlett and cut of at Fabian's where they would use the Y at Fabians to turn the locomotives. Most engines would layover for the next train heading east but I have also been told they ran light back to Bartlett because the need for them wasn't as great for the run east as it was for running west. The Y at Fabians was on the same side that the station is. In fact not only was there a small yard across from the station (like N. Conway) but part of the yard was on the same side as the station. The Y and that section of the yard was located right between Fabians station and the gas station convenience store which you can see in the distance when standing at Fabians. If the Y was re-constructed at Fabians they wouldn't have to clear many trees at all because it’s mostly grass. The only problem that there might be is if they were to fallow the same alignment from the original Y it might end up crossing 302 but who says they need to fallow the original alignment?

I would have to agree with eriemike turning Bartlett in to a railroad museum would be a great idea (something I have though of myself), after all the town was more or less built because of the railroad. Yes money would be a big issue if it was to be a projected that needed to be complete a couple of years form the start but do a little here and a little there overtime it would be better than not doing anything at all, just will take years to complete.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by eriemike

Another point about Bartlett as a rail hub/museum, is that the Bartlett and Albany logging RR also came into town and runs along Bear Notch Rd in areas and wound up crossing the Kangamangus (sp?) Highway. The B&A ROW starts at the end of the Y of the MEC. You can make it out on your left, especially in the fall and winter, as you head up Bear Notch Rd. leaving Bartlett.

A bunch of us have followed and hiked a part of the B&A ROW. Some of it is an actual hiking trail. Don't recall exactly when the B&A finished up as a logging RR, but I think it was very early in the 1900's.

by superwarp1

Anybody have any pics of 501?

by superwarp1

love the primer color

thanks for posting

by b&m 1566

Whatever happened to the oil burner they had? I know it went back to Taxes via truck for restoration but haven't heard anything since. CSRR retired the engine after the 1988 operating season and it became a static display, but why? Why did they retire it and let it fall apart? I know it/or was being restored in Texas to be used for a railroad out there but haven't heard anything since it left N. Conway in 1997.

by eriemike

A freind who lives in Texas heard that the former CSRR Prarie type was sitting on a siding in pieces and with that the possiblility of it being put back together are now slim. This was as of two or three years ago and have not heard any status since then.

by CSRR573

What a sad ending for a Locomotive... :(

by CSRR573

I recently saw a HD special on the Yukon & White pass railroad and they use a Steam locomotive and on the trip they have to stop to fill the tender up with water,and this is along a river, so the use a Hydrolic pump.

I was thinking if water is such a big problem if the 7470 or the 501 was to run up to Crawford Notch or Fabyans The CSRR crew could fill up the Tender along a stream or river using the Hydrolic Pump.

Two spots could be:Crawford Notch-Bury a Water line under the Road Going from Saco lake to along the tracks and then Thats where a Hydrolic pump could attach to the water line to get the water into the tender.
Fabyans- The truss bridge right before the station. On the Run-Around all they would have to do is stop the Locomotive on the bridge and then use the pump to get the water out of the stream.

Your thoughts

by superwarp1

Nick,

You into O gauge trains? If so do you post on the OGR forum?

Few Questions for anyone about the Conway.

Are the tracks south of Conway abandoned? How about north of Fabyan? Really my question is. Is the Conway Scenic a isolated RR?

by shadyjay

Isolated: Yes and No.

I believe Conway Scenic owns the track to around Twin Mountain area which is east of Whitefield. From there, the track is operated by the New Hampshire Central but only on an as-needed basis - I don't believe there are any customers that way. From there, the line to St J is in the same status, the ex-B&M south past Littleton is gone, but the ex-B&M north to the SL&A in Groveton (?) is still in existance. This would be the outside world connection. Track south of Conway to Ossipee has been O/O/S since the 1970s and I believe we discussed that somewhere earlier. The ex-MEC line from the ME/NH border to Westbrook,ME is owned and semi- maintained by MDOT but no trains run on it.

The current outside world connection would have to be via Whitefield and the NH Central. However my question is during the late 1980s before the Crawford Notch line was reactivated, was there an outside world connection?

-Jay H.

by b&m 1566

shadyjay wrote:Isolated: Yes and No.

I believe Conway Scenic owns the track to around Twin Mountain area which is east of Whitefield. From there, the track is operated by the New Hampshire Central but only on an as-needed basis - I don't believe there are any customers that way. From there, the line to St J is in the same status, the ex-B&M south past Littleton is gone, but the ex-B&M north to the SL&A in Groveton (?) is still in existance. This would be the outside world connection. Track south of Conway to Ossipee has been O/O/S since the 1970s and I believe we discussed that somewhere earlier. The ex-MEC line from the ME/NH border to Westbrook,ME is owned and semi- maintained by MDOT but no trains run on it.

The current outside world connection would have to be via Whitefield and the NH Central. However my question is during the late 1980s before the Crawford Notch line was reactivated, was there an outside world connection?

-Jay H.
All tracks the CSRR runs on is owned by the state of NH. From 1974 to 1984 the CSRR was connected to the MEC mountain division at Intervale, NH at Mountain Juction. Maine Central would leave the rolling stock on a side track that is partially still in place but not connected (CSRR removed the switch a few years ago). All engines and rolling stock perviously not listed in my pervious post were brought into N. Conway form this location. The B&M dumped a load of dirt on the tracks on the Conway branch on the Madison, Conway town line to keep the CSRR from going any further had this not been done the CSRR could have used the Conway Branch as well. The pile of dirt can still be seen from 16; it was put there after the courts told the B&M to give up the track rights in the towns of N. Conway and Conway so the Conway Scenic could operate because at first the B&M wouldn't allow it. From 1984 to 1994 the CSRR was an isolated railroad after (then) Guilford moved all traffic to the north of the Notch. It wasn't until 1993 Guilford abandoned the Mountain Divion Line and sold it to the state.

by superwarp1

Thanks B&M,

Very interesting. I've learned alot tonight.

by b&m 1566

Engine 1055 was out and about on the CS for rail fans weekend. Check out the picture. Looks very nice! http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... way_Scenic
I wonder if there going to put the white trim around the red stripes on the front of the engine like it had before... either way though it looks very, very nice. Engine 1055 still has no lights at the bottom. I think the 1055 and 15 are the only engines with just one set of lights.

Does any one have pictures of the derailment that took place? What car was it and come to think of it how many derailments has the CS had in there history?

I'm riding the notch train again in about a week what's the foliage looking like up there? Last year I and my girlfriend went up during the last week of September and everything was till green except for ONE leaf that was yellow! I'm hoping it will be better this year!