• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Dick H

I was not on the trip, so my information is second hand. Some relay failed and the 573 overheated. I believe they were able to get it running for the trip back down. At any rate, the snow and leaves may have been a problem for the 4266 alone and they may not have wanted to come down with just the 4266 running, if they couldn't get the 573 running. Better safe than sorry....So they sent the FP9......

Dick

by superwarp1

Sounds like the motive power is looking forward to the winter off, at least for the long distance trips.
  by themechanic

DON,T WORRY ABOUT WATER FOR THE OLD GIRL....CHECK THESE OUT...

A... THE 470 CLUB OWNS A TANK CAR, HAS BUNKER C ,ABOUT A THOUSAND GALLONS , IT CAN BE ADVERTISED AND SOLD BY THE GALON FOR $$$, JUST LIKE I SOLD TUBE STUBS AND ,USED STAYBOLTS (junk ) AND RAISED $500. I BET MANY NORTHERNERS WHO HAVE NEVER SEEN A GALLON OF U.S.A CRUDE OIL FROM DIXIE WOULD PAY $5 FOR A BONAFIDE MARKED AND NUMBERED BOTTLE XX OF SO MANY .

B... WE HAVE A WATER TRANSPORT TANK TRUCK THAT CAN BE SPOTTED ON ANY RT 302 OVERPASS EVEV AT NOTCHLAND AND TOP HER OFF

C... MOST POPULAR LOCAL FIRE DEPT IS A VERY COMMON SITE ,FILLING UP A TENDER. MAKE SURE WHATEVER WATER IS USED THAT ITS TESTED AND TREATED WITH PROPER CHEMICALS. RULE OF THUMB.

D.. WITH FULL BOILER AND 8,000GALLONS CAPACITY OF OUR TENDER , AFTER ALL WRE NOT DRAGGING A 50 CAR HEAVY FREIGHT TRAIN, I,M SURE THERE WILL BE PL;ENTY HIRING A LOCAL CONTRACTOR WITH A TANK TRUCK W/ PUMPING CAPABILITY IS THE SEFE BET, TAKE NO CHANCES .
  by themechanic

OVER WHAT RAIL LINES DOES NEW ENGLAND SOTHERN HAVE OPERATING RIGHTS, CAN OR DO THEY GET TO HAUL ON CSX LINES SOUTH OF BOSTON, IN THE MIDDLEBORO /BRAINTREE SEGMENT. COULD A MOVABLE RAILROAD ITEM , BE MOVED FROM N.CONWAY TO MIDDLEBORO MASS WITHOUT GUILFORD HENCHMEN IN THE WAY , IF NES HAD OPERATING RIGHTS?? THANK YOU.

by b&m 1566

themechanic
I believe you when you say the switch at Mt. Junction has moved around. I have never seen a layout of the Intervale yard but was told there were about 3 to 4 tracks that the BM and MEC used when switching out freight and what not. I know at one time the actual Conway branch dead ended right at the Intervale station with a switch just to the south of the dead end connecting it to the MEC track but I also though the current connection was always there as well.
If you think the curve at the switch is to sharp for the 8 drivers to make that turn; there is plenty of room in that area for the CS track crew to make a smoother curve for an engine that size, however if you are saying that yes the 501 will be running again I suggest that you get to gather with the CS and talk about relocating the switch so the curve isn’t so tight because they may charge the club for labor, supplies and whatever else may come up with that project.
So when do you hope to get the 501 moved into stall 4? Currently the 1055 is in that stall but not sure how long its going to stay in there.
  by Hoghead

well sounds like your problems are with your management and not railfans. I have been in the railroad industry for many years and I think you and your key board need a VACATION now that we all have a pretty good idea what's going on up there !! :-D
  by themechanic

It could be possible ,but even where the switch used to be, six coaches and one locomotive would still not seem to end up blocking the Scenic Vista crossing. I,m going to look at some detailed maps , and figure the footage. I do know one thing , that switch ,gives a hell of a kick and flange squeel, i don,t remember anything like that in the N. conway yard. At some point in time I,ve thrown and reset every one of the turn-outs in the yard and would have noticed somthing of similsr fashion. I think the gauge could be loosened up , ifned be. I have track curvature specs, i know the Rock Cut is tight , some where here is a master track spesification map , made by MEC. Time will tell.

by greenus90

Just a thought- learning to communicate clearly and using some semblance of correct punctuation might facilitate getting your point across more effectively.

I've had nothing but good times at the CSRR including Railfans day when everyone asks all of the employees hundreds of questions a day.

by Otto Vondrak

Let's all take a deep breath here.

mechanic- no one's trying to pick a fight with you- just be very careful of what you post in a public forum. And please try to be a little careful with the punctuation- a little extra effort goes a long way towards avoiding misunderstandings.

-otto-
  by Robert Paniagua

Otto Vondrak wrote:Let's all take a deep breath here.

mechanic- no one's trying to pick a fight with you- just be very careful of what you post in a public forum. And please try to be a little careful with the punctuation- a little extra effort goes a long way towards avoiding misunderstandings.

-otto-

MODERATOUR'S NOTE

The Mechanic, let's stop trolling this board, I know you've got issues with other folks, but this isn't the place to do this, let's calm down since otherwise, this topic may have to get the stamp of dissaproval.
  by NHN503

themechanic wrote: Rus didn,t know my friend is a Mas State Police Tropper from down the Cape Cod area. The cop heard Seybold light into me in the gift shop, rather than disobey an order to explain the tounge lashiong , i gave the State Trooper his vehical description and lic .plate #. . That cop was pissed off at Russ over that stunt. The cop took a photo of it somewhere .ran the plate , everything,
Being a cop....I don't think that your trooper buddy would want you putting that on the web...seeing how that would be a misdemeanor violation of the NCIC and MA LEAPS laws.

We can run plates for a lot of things...but I know I would have been canned if I ran a plate for that and it got out.
  by b&m 1566

I was going to say that myself but chose not to... trying to keep the thread on topic and from being locked. When I started this thread it was in hopes of keeping a popular topic in view with one click of the mouse rather than having a thousand CSRR threads floating around the same forum. It would stink if it was locked because someone got political and personal. Hopefully from here on out we can let this mishap go and continue the thread like it was before.

[Modified by a Mod on 06DEC14 08:19h EST]

by Robert Paniagua

MODERATOUR'S NOTE: Thread is now reopened

But let's keep this civil.

by b&m 1566

Thank You Rob for re-opening this thread.

Someone on here (I think) asked if the CS would operate the 7470 this winter… well the answer is yes. The Conway Scenic will be operating the steam engine this weekend to close out the season. The CS closes down for the winter after this coming Sunday, Dec. 17th except for the Polar Express which runs till the 23rd. By the way where does the CS stop for the Polar Express?

What's the deal with the 2820, any word?
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

The Polar Express stops in back of the school in the center of Bartlett.