• New MBTA Fare Policy Draft

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by danib62

octr202 wrote:Where did we learn that you won't be able to buy CharlieCards from vending machines? I can't seem to find it again at this point. I can understand how the ticket vending machines might not be able to dispense them, but I'd hope that there are plans to have stand alone CharlieCard vending units, much as WMATA uses. My frist and only SmartTrip came from one at the New Carrollton station quickly and easily on a trip to DC a while back...it'd be a shame to not at least have that at major stations.
It was on page 16 of the new fare guide book:
9. Where can I get a CharlieCard?
Starting in November, CharlieCards will be available anywhere T passes are currently sold including: retail outlets, MBTA ticket offices, through the corporate pass program and eventually online. CharlieCards are not available at fare vending machines.
(Emphasis added)

by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:
octr202 wrote:Where did we learn that you won't be able to buy CharlieCards from vending machines? I can't seem to find it again at this point. I can understand how the ticket vending machines might not be able to dispense them, but I'd hope that there are plans to have stand alone CharlieCard vending units, much as WMATA uses. My frist and only SmartTrip came from one at the New Carrollton station quickly and easily on a trip to DC a while back...it'd be a shame to not at least have that at major stations.
It was on page 16 of the new fare guide book:
9. Where can I get a CharlieCard?
Starting in November, CharlieCards will be available anywhere T passes are currently sold including: retail outlets, MBTA ticket offices, through the corporate pass program and eventually online. CharlieCards are not available at fare vending machines.
(Emphasis added)
That is clearly a bad decision then. If the technology exists to sell them, the MBTA's own annual report directive said they should get them in as many hands as possible, and they want you to use them under the propose new fare policy, then you should be able to buy them from the vending machines!

JS

by ckb

I'm surprised no one has commented on the article in this week's Boston Phoenix yet. It argues that this fare increase (and especially its magnitude) is in large part a bargaining tool in the upcoming contract negotiations for MBTA employees.

The truth behind the MBTA fare hike

The article also blames the state of MA for reworking the funding structure of the T and saddling the T with debt service formerly considered by the state. Also noteworthy is that internet purchases which pay no sales tax may be to blame for reduced state revenues (and therefore reduced payments by the state to the T).

by danib62

I wonder if the T will start offering a discount on 12-ride commuter rail tickets like they used to before the most recent fare hike. It used to be 12 rides for the price of 11 but now it's 12 for the price of 12 which makes it pointless the get one. You just risk losing it and your unused rides!

by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:I wonder if the T will start offering a discount on 12-ride commuter rail tickets like they used to before the most recent fare hike. It used to be 12 rides for the price of 11 but now it's 12 for the price of 12 which makes it pointless the get one. You just risk losing it and your unused rides!
My guess would be once they can accept the CharlieCard on the CR, they'll just get rid of the twelve ride but accept stored value instead.

by Reddy Rocker

A little worry regarding the Charlie Cards. If it is true that having a credit/debit card will be necessary, that's going to shut a lot of people, myself included, from even being able to take the T. I am not eligible to have a credit card because I don't have a driver's license. And a debit card is going to be tough to get, too. Makes me question the entire system that they may be redesigning the system for those who don't need the system. (i.e. those with driver's licenses).

And before you start suggesting that I get a driver's license, I lack the gross motor skills needed to drive effectively. I had bad gross motor skills a decade ago when I first tried to get a license, and those skills have gotten worse over the years.

It's a round-about way of saying this, but will cash payments still be acceptable?

by sabourinj

Reddy Rocker wrote:A little worry regarding the Charlie Cards. If it is true that having a credit/debit card will be necessary, that's going to shut a lot of people, myself included, from even being able to take the T. I am not eligible to have a credit card because I don't have a driver's license. And a debit card is going to be tough to get, too. Makes me question the entire system that they may be redesigning the system for those who don't need the system. (i.e. those with driver's licenses).

And before you start suggesting that I get a driver's license, I lack the gross motor skills needed to drive effectively. I had bad gross motor skills a decade ago when I first tried to get a license, and those skills have gotten worse over the years.

It's a round-about way of saying this, but will cash payments still be acceptable?
You can also add value via cash at the vending machines at each station, or the fareboxes on busses/green line. The ability to do it online is just an extra feature.

You also don't need a drivers license, all states offer State ID's for those who need identification but not driving rights. As long as you have a social security number and some form of photo ID you can open a checking account with a debit card.

JS

by Reddy Rocker

Ok, thanks. And I apologize for going off on a tangent like that. And come to think of it, a debit card isn't as hard as I thought it was to get anyway...

And I do have such an ID, so I guess I'm all set then.

by sabourinj

Reddy Rocker wrote:Ok, thanks. And I apologize for going off on a tangent like that. And come to think of it, a debit card isn't as hard as I thought it was to get anyway...

Hah no worries. I was more concerned with you thinking you couldn't get any of those things just because you don't have a license...

JS

by SbooX

Reddy Rocker wrote:Ok, thanks. And I apologize for going off on a tangent like that. And come to think of it, a debit card isn't as hard as I thought it was to get anyway...

Actually, you might be surprised how hard it is to get a debit card. I work for a bank, and you'd be shocked by how many debit card applications get turned down for bad credit. Hell, you'd be shocked by how many times they reject checking accounts!

But yeah, a DL is not a requirement for anything other than driving.

by danib62

I wonder if once they Charlie-ize the commuter rail and boat systems if they will allow for free transfers to and from the subway.

by helium

Can someone clarify something here?

Are the CharlieCards going to have to be used as a pass, or can they be value added like the tickets?
If I only store say $20 at a time on the card, do I have to pay the raping surcharge per ride?

Since they'll be forcing me to buy a OnePass vs. a subway, I'd be better off just putting a bit on at a time.

Oh, and if the vending machines won't dispense the cards, how can they add value to them?
Last edited by helium on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by helium

thanks.
How about pass-backs on the card. can you do that like you can with the tickets?

by sabourinj

helium wrote:thanks.
How about pass-backs on the card. can you do that like you can with the tickets?
Pass-back works with stored value cards, but obviously not with passes.

Also, despite the fare policy proposal saying they will not sell CharlieCards from the TVMs, there have been several references to there being about 80 machines that will be able to sell them. They are also looking for local merchants to sell the cards as well.

JS

by aline1969

One thing for sure with this new system the Forest Hills station after the new turn styles is a mess of charlie cards that have run out of money.... I think people put 1.25 just to get in...they should put larger amounts on to cut down on litter charlie cards...what a mess there.