• Moving specialized MoW equipment & FRA rules

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by farecard

So there are 5280-odd FRA etc. rules on rolling stock: coupler strength, brakes, roller bearings, whatever....

There is also a Warehouse 13 full of specialized maintenance equipment used on, and moved via, said same rails. I'm thinking not just cranes, flangers, rotary snowplows..but also ballast tampers, and the {?Sperry} track alignment testers and such. But even wheel-equipped pickup trucks would be in the collection.

What rules [don't] apply to them in use? I'd assume many; I don't need a litany, just general affirmation.

NOW... what about transporting such items from X to W to Z? Some will be self-propelled, others hauled by an engine. Is there a FRA rule category that fits them, one giving wider latitude to such?

I ask because I was wondering how various transit systems [WMATA, BART, etc] dealt with their occasional need of such. I'd assumed they rented same; in the case of the bigger items, how else can they realistically move than on their own wheels?
  by DutchRailnut

MoW equipment is excempt from rules like locomotive inspection act, or CFR 49.229 . they do need to be inspected as far as brakes lights etc. but pretty much all come under the rule " if it moves and stops its legal".
All track equipment is moved under same rule, no matter if its a hi-rail truck a sperry car or any other MofW equipment.
They use a pilot (foreman or conductor) to move as per rules.