Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Woodbine Yard is NJT, not MNCR owned, if I'm correct?
I don't think you are correct, Woodbine Yard is in New York State the last I knew.
Noel Weaver
  by R36 Combine Coach

I recall the Pascack Valley Line is 100% NJT, with the exception of Spring Valley, Nanuet and Pearl River stations (MNCR-operated). On the Main/Bergen/Port Jervis Lines, Suffern Yard and station are NJT.
  by Ridgefielder

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:I was wondering, currently how many yards does MNRR have. I know they have Highbridge, Croton-Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, Stamford, and New Haven. Do they have any others?
In order from Grand Central outward from NYC.........

GCT East Yard

Hudson Line:
Highbridge Yard
BN Yard (MOW)
Croton-Harmon Yard
Poughkeepsie Yard

Harlem Line:
Mount Vernon West Yard (MOW, also siding for ACE/Endico Foods, served by CSX B-750)
North White Plains Yard
Brewster Yard
Wassaic Yard

New Haven Line:
Stamford Yard
Danbury Yard
East Bridgeport Yard
New Haven Yard
Don't Dock (South Norwalk, on the branch) and New Canaan count as well? Also, isn't there anything on the Waterbury?
  by R36 Combine Coach

New Canaan has an electrified siding, but that's about it.
  by DutchRailnut

Just because you see a switch and some rail does not constitute a yard.
  by elec tech

DutchRailnut wrote:Just because you see a switch and some rail does not constitute a yard.

Thats what they consider a yard in poukeepsie.
  by DutchRailnut

Poughkeepsie is always been active rail yard both the east and west side yard, the tracks have been cut back from what they were years ago, including the removal of one of mainline tracks.
The freight yard is actually quite large google a view in Bing maps or so.

Definition of a yard: a place to store, repair, or classify cars.

as for Woodbine see:
http://www.piercehaviland.com/rail/pv.html
  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:Just because you see a switch and some rail does not constitute a yard.
Oh yeah, I understand that; I just thought that the two or so tracks at Dock were still officially considered a "yard" even though not much more than a siding at present. There's certainly MOW equipment stored there.
  by Tommy Meehan

Does Metro-North use Croton North (or Croton-West) or is that all CSX now?

Btw, PC mentioned the Tarrytown (CP25) yard. That often has MOW equipment stored there and occasionally I've seen one of the GP35Ms in there spotting cars. Going way back that was probably a local freight yard, wasn't it?.

How about the sidings at Highbridge east of the mainline? That predates the shop by a good number of years. They've expanded those tracks in recent years it looks like and they can hold a lot of ballast hoppers.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

MNCRR9000 wrote:
MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:I was wondering, currently how many yards does MNRR have. I know they have Highbridge, Croton-Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, Stamford, and New Haven. Do they have any others?
In order from Grand Central outward from NYC.........

GCT East Yard

Hudson Line:
Highbridge Yard
BN Yard (MOW)
Croton-Harmon Yard
Poughkeepsie Yard

Harlem Line:
Mount Vernon West Yard (MOW, also siding for ACE/Endico Foods, served by CSX B-750)
North White Plains Yard
Brewster Yard
Wassaic Yard

New Haven Line:
Stamford Yard
Danbury Yard
East Bridgeport Yard
New Haven Yard
How often is the GCT East Yard used?
Daily, for post AM Rush lay-ups and post PM Rush layups.
  by MNCRR9000

I read that there is a MofW facility in Springdale off of the New Canaan Branch by the name of Reeve's Crossing. What type of MofW work is done there?
  by DutchRailnut

springdale has just a building (headquarters and hand tools, and MNCR communications (radio shop) ;-)
Yes Croton East yard is MNCR wood tie acceptance yard , they store and put railties in gondola;'s for MofW projects.
the wooden ties arrive by truck.
  by checkthedoorlight

How much usage is Bridgeport yard getting these days? Last I knew, it was 5 M2 sets overnight, plus M/W equipment, and the Waterbury shuttle would sometimes lay over there.

There is a yard next to Waterbury station, but that is a Pan Am freight yard, and there is no connection to it from within MNRR's division. All Waterbury trains are based out of New Haven (hense the other wye track at CP261).
  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:springdale has just a building (headquarters and hand tools, and MNCR communications (radio shop) ;-)
Yes Croton East yard is MNCR wood tie acceptance yard , they store and put railties in gondola;'s for MofW projects.
the wooden ties arrive by truck.

Thats interesting that the Croton East Yard is the tie acceptance yard. Where do they get the ties from? Do they also have a rail acceptance yard?

Anybody have any updates about the progress of the new maintenance shop being built in the New Haven rail yard?
  by DutchRailnut

New rail arrives on rail train when needed, and gets dropped on site as soon as possible, as rental of railtrain is not cheap.