Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

MNCRR9000 wrote:I was looking on MSN Live Maps and it looks like there is a fairly new repair shop in Bridgeport I guess where the old east end freight yards used to be. From the picture on the side of the building you can see Connecticut Department of Transportation on the side. What sort of repairs do they do in Bridgeport? Also when was that facility built?

That is not a repair shop, the building houses track dept - register rooms - MNCR police dept - office and locker rooms for Mof W and MfE etc etc.
There is no acces into building for trains.
any maintenance is done outside during overnight inspections.
  by MNCRR9000

oh okay. Thanks Dutch. Is that also where the power department is located?
  by MNCRR9000

When the new repair shops are built in New Haven, will this affect any of the heavy repair functions currently performed by the Stamford shops?
  by DutchRailnut

No the Heavy repair shop will stay in Stamford.
  by MNCRR9000

Hey thanks for the response Dutch. So then basically the New Haven yard will be for minor repairs and change-outs and acceptance testing and such.
  by DutchRailnut

New Haven is main shop facility for entire new haven line, Stamford has support function for New Haven.
The Heavy repair is a separate building , with no cross function to other two shops.
  by MNCRR9000

Oh okay makes sense. I remember someone mentioning in one of the other threads that the smaller building off to the side is the heavy repair shop.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

MNCRR9000 wrote:I was wondering, currently how many yards does MNRR have. I know they have Highbridge, Croton-Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, Stamford, and New Haven. Do they have any others?
In order from Grand Central outward from NYC.........

GCT East Yard

Hudson Line:
Highbridge Yard
BN Yard (MOW)
Croton-Harmon Yard
Poughkeepsie Yard

Harlem Line:
Mount Vernon West Yard (MOW, also siding for ACE/Endico Foods, served by CSX B-750)
North White Plains Yard
Brewster Yard
Wassaic Yard

New Haven Line:
Stamford Yard
Danbury Yard
East Bridgeport Yard
New Haven Yard
Last edited by MNR's #1 Conductor on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Penn Central wrote:While not used for passenger trains, there are two yards in Tarrytown at CP 25 (Tarrytown Yard) and CP 26 (Chevrolet Yard).
They are for MOW use mainly, but they're are not listed officially as yards serving any purpose for main line trains for MNR, Amtrak or CSX on the Hudson Line.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

RearOfSignal wrote:Mt. Vernon Yard, East Yard in GCT.
You also forgot BN Yard north of University Heights (MOW and also for the trash train from GCT) along the former Putnam Division. Should be noted that BN Yard, along with the Brewster Yard wye are the last operating portions of the old NYC Putnam Division.
  by BobLI

On Friday travelling to Southeast for the first time, and I must say a very nice ride, I noticed a yard outside of that area. Is that yard considered Brewster or Southeast? Looks like a nice building for MU maintenance but it was getting dark and hard to see.
  by MNCRR9000

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:I was wondering, currently how many yards does MNRR have. I know they have Highbridge, Croton-Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, Stamford, and New Haven. Do they have any others?
In order from Grand Central outward from NYC.........

GCT East Yard

Hudson Line:
Highbridge Yard
BN Yard (MOW)
Croton-Harmon Yard
Poughkeepsie Yard

Harlem Line:
Mount Vernon West Yard (MOW, also siding for ACE/Endico Foods, served by CSX B-750)
North White Plains Yard
Brewster Yard
Wassaic Yard

New Haven Line:
Stamford Yard
Danbury Yard
East Bridgeport Yard
New Haven Yard
How often is the GCT East Yard used?
  by elec tech

Bob, that would be the Brewster yard and yes there indoor facility is very nice and clean.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Woodbine Yard is NJT, not MNCR owned, if I'm correct?