Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1185175  by Backshophoss

Believe it's the possibilty of the car sides hitting the 3rd rail stubs while traversing the puzzle switches near the platforms,
the ML's need an almost straight shot to the platforms.
 #1185208  by lirr42

Nope. GCT's switches are tighter. Especially on the lower level.
 #1185258  by DutchRailnut

According to MNCR engineering these cars fit fine, with no routing problems, yet the experts here are inventing problems again WTF.
 #1185346  by Thomas

So what is the truth regarding using multi-level coaches into Grand Central Terminal?
 #1185348  by ACeInTheHole

For the love of god Dutch Clean Cab was the one who brought it up and he is (or was?) an MN engineer himself.. So in this case it wasn't a "railfan inventing problems."
 #1185407  by Clean Cab

What I posted was told to me by a MN official. It should be stated that at MN, like any other large company there are more than a few people who will dispense information based more on their opinion that may conflict with what another persons say/believes.

The NJT ML cars (in their current configuration) will not be able to negotiate the tighter switches (especially on Ladder "O") within the GCT interlocking. I go by what I am told and do not fabricate information just for the sake of replying.
 #1185408  by DutchRailnut

John those officials did not run the LIRR C-1's into terminal, I did, the LIRR C-1 car has a much lower underbody and had no problems on upperlevel.
The NJT MLV's have far more clearance and are fitting according to MNCR engineering dept, Ill tell them to shelf the project cause your official says so ...
 #1185416  by Clean Cab

It's "shelve" not shelf.

Now that you've won this battle, can we get back to discussing M9'S???????
Last edited by Clean Cab on Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1185781  by Thomas

Will the M9A's be able to go into Penn Station?
 #1185852  by lirr42

Yes......but for LIRR. There is only going to be one M9 that is going to work on both railroads (so the Metro-North M9 and the LIRR M9 will be virtually the same with the exception of the name stenciled on the side). The LIRR is also going for a separate procurement for 160 M9A's, and if you believe everything you read in the LIRR forum, they'll have a couple interesting modifications, but will be interoperable with the M9 fleet.

So MNR is just getting plain M9's and the LIRR is getting both M9's and M9A's.

Hudson Line PSAS would need dual modes since the Empire Connection is not powered anyways.
 #1185957  by Clean Cab

There would be no way for MN M9's to get into Penn Station unless they put 3rd rail on the Empire Connection, which is rather unlikely.
 #1186066  by Thomas

By the time that Penn Station Access gets completed, is it a high probability that a new type of dual-mode commuter rail locomotive will be on the market for transportation agencies to procure?
 #1186087  by Clean Cab

We'll find out in 2019, if we're lucky!!
 #1186215  by Silverliner II

Dual modes like the ALP45-DP could work if they meet Metro-North clearances. The Empire tunnel has catenary as well as third rail. The wire ends at EMPIRE along with the third rail.